DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP vs MA for beginner

Last edited:
Reactions: Billmurray13
Thank you all for your input! What an amazing forum! Now as far as editing stuff what do y’all use? Editing software do both video and photo? Good SSD’s? And memory cards? Any other tidbits I should know or accessories I might need to get ahead of time. I got the fly more package.
SD Card, make sure you get a U3 class one, such as Sandisk Extreme otherwise you'll get constant Slow SD Card messages if you only use a class 10 card.

I use PowerDirector for my video editing, PC based. I like it, lots of features and not too expensive (it's often on some sort of offer)

You may decide you want ND filters. These help you to manually adjust shutter speed in brighter conditions so you can aim to get the ideal filming speed which is ISO set at 100, and you want to try to hit 2x your FPS for shutter speed, so if filming at 30FPS, set shutter to 60 (or as close as possible) - this just gives videos a more natural amount of speed blur which looks more natural to the eye. It's not essential but if you get into making videos can help with quality.

I've ordered (but still awaiting) a landing pad - a lot of time I need to launch off grass or stony beaches and having a flat platform should help there.

SD Card, make sure you get a U3 class one, such as Sandisk Extreme otherwise you'll get constant Slow SD Card messages if you only use a class 10 card.

I use PowerDirector for my video editing, PC based. I like it, lots of features and not too expensive (it's often on some sort of offer)

You may decide you want ND filters. These help you to manually adjust shutter speed in brighter conditions so you can aim to get the ideal filming speed which is ISO set at 100, and you want to try to hit 2x your FPS for shutter speed, so if filming at 30FPS, set shutter to 60 (or as close as possible) - this just gives videos a more natural amount of speed blur which looks more natural to the eye. It's not essential but if you get into making videos can help with quality.

I've ordered (but still awaiting) a landing pad - a lot of time I need to launch off grass or stony beaches and having a flat platform should help there.
Ok thanks I’ll keep that in mind!

Reactions: Robothamster
In fact, the only real use for the OA sensors in their current form is to prevent you from accidentally mashing the forward stick instead of the up stick, and the precision landing system. They will actually cause lost drone if your drone is RTHing and the sun interferes with the.
Could you please describe this more? What you are bot allowed to do while RTHing?

You can find a list of commonly used editors here.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro is a good option. Or check out other commonly used memory cards here.

Check out my must-haves list here.
My first important use is going to be at a wedding specifically, it will be daytime and night time filming, what NF filters should I get? I see there are packs but maybe something budget wise that will fit what I need without breaking the bank?

The Mavic Air doesn't have more safety features. It may have rear OA sensors, but those things are nearly useless. If you're relying on them, it's only a matter of time before you crash. APAS is just as useless, because it will fly into branches due to the OA sensors not being nearly good enough for small objects. In fact, the only real use for the OA sensors in their current form is to prevent you from accidentally mashing the forward stick instead of the up stick, and the precision landing system. They will actually cause lost drone if your drone is RTHing and the sun interferes with the sensor.

Both drones are extremely easy to fly, and are very much beginner-friendly.
Spoken like someone who hasn't owned a Mavic air. Several of your statements are just patently false.
The MA sensors are very sensitive. They do see branches (even those smaller than pencil). The APAS system is stellar. Allowing the MA to follow me or other people/objects in active track in places the MP couldn't hope to go.

What is it with you guys. Are you really so immature that you have to trash anything u don't own yourself. It must be endlessly frustrating for u to see the *thousands* of you tube videos talking about what an amazing quad the MA is, what a leap forward, all the things it can do that the MP can't.
And please don't bother claiming you have a MA. Your statements show unequivocally that you don't.

The Mavic Air doesn't have more safety features. It may have rear OA sensors, but those things are nearly useless. If you're relying on them, it's only a matter of time before you crash. APAS is just as useless, because it will fly into branches due to the OA sensors not being nearly good enough for small objects. In fact, the only real use for the OA sensors in their current form is to prevent you from accidentally mashing the forward stick instead of the up stick, and the precision landing system. They will actually cause lost drone if your drone is RTHing and the sun interferes with the sensor.

Both drones are extremely easy to fly, and are very much beginner-friendly.

There are many situations in which the OA sensors work perfectly. Anyone can come up with the one scenario in which they may not.

Sun interfering with the sensors? Plausible but I'd rather have the sensors than not.

If you look at my signature you can see I've got quite a few of the DJI drones. So I have first-hand experience with alot of the current DJI offerings... It does come down to your wants and "needs".

I always say if I could only own one drone to "do it all", It would be the Mavic Pro. So just doing a comparison between MP and MA... The MP has longer flight times, better range and I'm not talking miles away, I'm talking even LOS. The MA's smaller size isn't so much smaller it makes that much of a difference. We aren't talking say the Phantom 4 vs the MP. Sure the camera on the MA is better but if you are only planning on posting on the 'net then the MP is just fine. You can buy a used MP flymore combo for the same price as a new MA. IMO, had both of these drones been introduced at the exact same time. The MP would far outsell the MA for the small difference in price.

What I've found is the MA is much more sensitive to "interference" like you find in wifi dense areas like the 'burbs. In the 'burbs, my effective distance is only 800'. At that distance it's lost connectivity 3 times initiating auto-RTH which it did very well. Video also gets laggy in those environments at maybe 600' out. It also seems to ask for a compass calibration far more than any of my other DJI drones. I'd say 1 in 3 times out even flying from the exact same location. Now I've been able to fly much further in open areas with less population with lag occurring further out and it would be way beyond LOS before I lost connection.

And I don't "hate" the MA, its just when I take a realistic look at my drones, the MP is a better drone for my needs.
The MA is nearly HALF the size and weight of the MP. It is a very large difference.

U guys that claim all this interference, I just don't get it. I've never had any problem getting at least 1 mile, even in the most congested areas. As long as u keep your antennas pointed in the right direction, u should be fine.

what NF filters should I get? I see there are packs but maybe something budget wise that will fit what I need without breaking the bank?
Here's a general filter usage guide:

Filter-Use-Chart.png

Here's a video that explains why you'd want to use ND filters and shows the common cases where PL filters would be useful:

As for filter brands, any of these brands would be a good choice. If choosing a brand that's not on that list, check out the reviews to make sure you're choosing a good product.

What is it with you guys. Are you really so immature that you have to trash anything u don't own yourself. It must be endlessly frustrating for u to see the *thousands* of you tube videos talking about what an amazing quad the MA is, what a leap forward, all the things it can do that the MP can't.
I tend to see the same thing -- lots of people who don't own it love to hate on it for some reason. It's a really nice drone. I'm happy I bought my Mavic Air.

here's my story. I am a beginner as well. I got the air when it came out, as my first drone. It is a good machine. It works well, and is easy to take with you. However, its wifi is definitely very susceptible to interference, esp if you are near neighborhoods or any other developed area. Nearly every time I used it, i would get warnings, screen lag/glitching etc. It lost signal completely on me once as well. After having it for a bit, I was constantly youtubing and reading about the pro. Its longer flight time, slightly bigger size, incredible reputation, and reliable ocusync had me interested. I quickly sold my air, and got the pro. Ive only put about 3 hrs on the pro, but have gotten zero interference whatsoever, even at 1.5 miles. I like it much more than the air, and wish I had just gotten it in the first place. It is also just as easy and portable for me. And regarding the delicate gimbal, you can get a guard for it on amazon that surrounds and protects it, just like the air, for $8.00. problem solved.

Here's a general filter usage guide:

View attachment 37635

Here's a video that explains why you'd want to use ND filters and shows the common cases where PL filters would be useful:

As for filter brands, any of these brands would be a good choice. If choosing a brand that's not on that list, check out the reviews to make sure you're choosing a good product.
I swear you have the best replies! Simple and straight to the point! Fantastic! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: msinger
here's my story. I am a beginner as well. I got the air when it came out, as my first drone. It is a good machine. It works well, and is easy to take with you. However, its wifi is definitely very susceptible to interference, esp if you are near neighborhoods or any other developed area. Nearly every time I used it, i would get warnings, screen lag/glitching etc. It lost signal completely on me once as well. After having it for a bit, I was constantly youtubing and reading about the pro. Its longer flight time, slightly bigger size, incredible reputation, and reliable ocusync had me interested. I quickly sold my air, and got the pro. Ive only put about 3 hrs on the pro, but have gotten zero interference whatsoever, even at 1.5 miles. I like it much more than the air, and wish I had just gotten it in the first place. It is also just as easy and portable for me. And regarding the delicate gimbal, you can get a guard for it on amazon that surrounds and protects it, just like the air, for $8.00. problem solved.
Well it will be here Monday so I guess we will see them, I’ve seen the videos on how to change the frequency so that should solve any problems but I most likely won’t be flying in the neighborhood very often. Thank you for your opinion though! Much appreciated!

Those saying the sensors don't work must not have actually flown an Air. The sensors work almost too well. Flying around my place, which has a lot of trees and obstacles, the warnings are almost constant. They see trees, people, branches, almost everything. With all that, I do wish the sensors worked on the sides as well since I like to fly sideways for shots. And yes, the drone will stop in it's tracks if it "sees" something it is heading towards.

I have been wanting to get into the drone game for years now and finally decided to pick one up, I made a hasty decision and would love some help figuring out what to do.
I have purchased a MA (in red becuse it’s obviosuly cooler) and it will be here 5/14. I am looking at the MP though and wondering if I should just get that one. I have watched lots of YouTube videos but want to hear from the “experts” haha.

To provide some context
I have no experince but would like to start off filming my vacations and trips, uploading to fb, Instagram and just for myself. I hope to turn it into a side gig of some sort. I hope to use it at my friends wedding in a few weeks so the pressure is on. Thanks for yalls help!
One thing to consider is noise, the MA is far more noisy than the MP.

My MA arrived 2 weeks ago. I have been overwhelmed by how easy it has been to fly. My first drone was a $100 toy that had no sensors, never stayed in trim, and could not be controlled in the faintest of wind. This was trees 100 ft up one day never to be flown again. That said, I highly recommend getting some experience in such a toy drone. It will teach you the skills you may someday need if you have to fly your MA fully manually to get it home or away from a hazard if the systems inside somehow fail. Secondly, you will begin to appreciate how amazingly forgiving and stable that the MA is in event modest wind.

I made the mistake of flying last week on a day with significant wind shear, not checking this first. I did launch into the wind, but was impressed at how well the MA managed these adverse conditions.

Once people become accustomed to the performance and features of this amazing device they then become critical of some of the deficits. I, for one, am so amazed that a dog can walk on his hind legs that I am not inclined to criticize how it walks. My best advice is to read these forums and watch lots of YouTubes to learn what DJI fails to tell you. If it weren’t for that, I would still be clueless on how to download my video to my Win 10 PC. It was far from obvious.

If you just want to learn how to fly and not worry about video or photo, get the Spark.

I have to agree with troutboynz. I too have both and prefer to fly the MA, distance isn't a problem as it needs to be kept in line of sight and the MA is slightly better in the wind

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d