DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MP4 won't play once downloaded to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdwskii

Reactions
I am just learning to fly the Mavic Pro and today felt I should try to record video. I am set to MP4. I watched the videos afterwards with the controller attached to my ipad (pressing the play button on the screen) and they played just fine. I removed the card and downloaded to my pc and attempted to play any of the several I recorded but all received
upload_2017-1-29_9-39-40.png
So I tried several different video programs like Camtasia and Adobe Premier. Both will play them but it the video is seriously choppy (like a frame every 2 to 10 seconds).
I saw while researching that I had to make sure the video was turned off before powering down the Mavic. Tried that and again had the same results.
Then I thought maybe I would go directly from the Mavic, so I connected the USB cable directly into the PC. Same results trying to paly directly from mavic and also downloaded.
On further research I tried the DJIFIX program and that said it could only repair as some h264 format but I didn't know what to do there when asked for some number to put in. Not even sure what .h264 is :)

So, it's not like the videos are important. I'm just trying to learn how to work everything.
If anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate the help.
I am going to reformat the SD card and try it again the next time this wind drops to flyable conditions.

Couple questions...
1) What version of windows are you using? If its an older version (i.e. XP) you'll have to update the Media Player
2) Regarding the "choppy" issue...if this is an older PC and your video is 4K, then the playback will suck.

Edit: If you have Windows Update turned on then Media Player should have been auto updated from in Windows 7 on up and Win XP support/updates are obsolete

Last edited:
Anthony thanks for quick reply. Running windows 7 and laptop is new enough it should work for 4K but I will change the settings the next time and see what difference that makes. Thanks for ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Anthony thanks for quick reply. Running windows 7 and laptop is new enough it should work for 4K but I will change the settings the next time and see what difference that makes. Thanks for ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Please not that just because your laptop is "new enough" doesn't exactly mean that it meets the minimum hardware specs to render videos in Adobe Premier. Also, note that even on my $2,500 Dell XPS laptop 4k gets a little "choppy" when using the playback in Premier.

I am just learning to fly the Mavic Pro and today felt I should try to record video. I am set to MP4. I watched the videos afterwards with the controller attached to my ipad (pressing the play button on the screen) and they played just fine. I removed the card and downloaded to my pc and attempted to play any of the several I recorded but all received
View attachment 5298
So I tried several different video programs like Camtasia and Adobe Premier. Both will play them but it the video is seriously choppy (like a frame every 2 to 10 seconds).
I saw while researching that I had to make sure the video was turned off before powering down the Mavic. Tried that and again had the same results.
Then I thought maybe I would go directly from the Mavic, so I connected the USB cable directly into the PC. Same results trying to paly directly from mavic and also downloaded.
On further research I tried the DJIFIX program and that said it could only repair as some h264 format but I didn't know what to do there when asked for some number to put in. Not even sure what .h264 is :)

So, it's not like the videos are important. I'm just trying to learn how to work everything.
If anyone has a suggestion I'd appreciate the help.
I am going to reformat the SD card and try it again the next time this wind drops to flyable conditions.
4K video takes a MASSIVE amount of system resources to be able to render and play smoothly. Many computers just simply don't have a fast enough processor, a fast enough video card or enough RAM. 4K will eventually push a lot of people to upgrade their computers. As for playback on the iPad, the video transmitted to the phone or tablet connected to the controller is only 1080p resolution and therefore no issues with playback.

You will need the codec for mp4. I think it will install with the updated media player

Believe it or not, I have a old vista computer that uses the Windows Media Player Classic. It plays most of all my MP4 files with out issue.
One other great video player is VLC. It can play almost all formats.
Give it a try.
For any thing full 4K, I use my IMac 5K for processing and editing.

Thank you guys for the great tips. I did download VLC and the video was choppy (just like in the editors) so obvioulsy my computer doesn't have the guts it needs for 4K. Changed to 1080p and things are peachy now! Thanks again.

I had to set mine to 1080p so that my PC could read it. It's a shame, since I've lost video quality due to my "old" PC.

I have a couple of Core-m powered laptops (low power processor between an Atom and a Core i series ULV), they can't play the Mavic 4k footage in VLC as it's choppy but I was surprised to notice they play back fine with the builtin Windows 10 video player which I've generally found to be terrible as it can't even play back GoPro 1080p mp4's. I realise that's not an option in the cases above but it may be worth looking to see if there's any other video players better optimised for 4k video playback.

John

Please not that just because your laptop is "new enough" doesn't exactly mean that it meets the minimum hardware specs to render videos in Adobe Premier. Also, note that even on my $2,500 Dell XPS laptop 4k gets a little "choppy" when using the playback in Premier.
Sorry to bother you mate, but it seems that you know more about MP4 playback issues than me. I have a similar question and would you mind my asking here and I really need an answer now? Recently I download a software as you can see "http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/repair-mp4-file.html" (I hope someone would like to help me check it when it's at your convenience) to repair one of my damaged MP4 file. The file did not contain audio output so I tried fixing it by converting it to another format. The conversion was successful and there was audio output again. But I could not figure why after conversion, the video size got much bigger, did you ever have such a kind of problem or hear about it?

Sorry to bother you mate, but it seems that you know more about MP4 playback issues than me. I have a similar question and would you mind my asking here and I really need an answer now? Recently I download a software as you can see "http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/repair-mp4-file.html" (I hope someone would like to help me check it when it's at your convenience) to repair one of my damaged MP4 file. The file did not contain audio output so I tried fixing it by converting it to another format. The conversion was successful and there was audio output again. But I could not figure why after conversion, the video size got much bigger, did you ever have such a kind of problem or hear about it?
Did it convert to .avi - these are going to be larger as it's an uncompressed format sometime used for editing.
You shouldn't need to convert anything really, mp4 or mov are widely readable however above 1080p can cuse problems unless you can update codecs.
A better convertor if you need to downsize is at www.handbrake.fr
It seems to run pretty fast and will resolve a range of problems.

(FYI - I'm the author of the "djifix" software.)

A ".h264" file contains the sequence of recorded video frames, but no 'indexing' information. The good news is that it can be played by the VLC media player (but perhaps not by other video players). So, I suggest using VLC to play your repaired video (assuming that you use "djifix").

For more information, see Repairing Corrupt DJI Video Files

Thank you guys for the great tips. I did download VLC and the video was choppy (just like in the editors) so obvioulsy my computer doesn't have the guts it needs for 4K. Changed to 1080p and things are peachy now! Thanks again.

My laptop has a discrete video card alongside the integrated GPU: in order to see anything higher than 1080 I need to set it it use the discrete one. Check if it's your case, maybe you also have a discrete card which isn't being used due to some power saving mode. And get VLC as someone already suggested, it plays everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78