DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MPP Night Flight Compass Error

Maddox24

Reactions
Hi All,
Tried for the first time to fly at night. I also had purchased the led light/ landing gear system that comes with two metal Incase’s led spot lights which attach to the landing gear which ultimately attach to the rear Mavic Pros landing skirts manufactured by PGYTECH. My issue is- indicator lights go from green to red after not even a min of flight. I’ve used this spot to take off from a number of times during the day with no issues. I calibrate before every flight. Last night I made two attempts. Once in normal fight mode and once in sport mode,( thinking with sensors off, the led lights wouldn’t interfere with the sensors).
could the metal casings from the lights be interfering with the compass? I also never got an error indication. Drone just went from green to red and started flying spermatic.
Thx Chris.

Anything magnetic can interfere with the compass module(s). Also heavy current flowing through wiring can do the same. Are these lights pulsing on and off, or varying their intensity? Wearing a watch or holding the transmitter in your hand during calibration has been said to cause calibration issues. Taking off from concrete with internal rebar can be an issue too. Any vehicles close by when you calibrate? I'm guessing that there is disagreement between the GPS heading and the magnetic sensors since it takes a minute to generate the error condition. GPS heading can only be determined once the quad is flying over some distance.

Anything magnetic can interfere with the compass module(s). Also heavy current flowing through wiring can do the same. Are these lights pulsing on and off, or varying their intensity? Wearing a watch or holding the transmitter in your hand during calibration has been said to cause calibration issues. Taking off from concrete with internal rebar can be an issue too. Any vehicles close by when you calibrate? I'm guessing that there is disagreement between the GPS heading and the magnetic sensors since it takes a minute to generate the error condition. GPS heading can only be determined once the quad is flying over some distance.
The lights are a constant on mode. No pulsing. Im taking off from a deck. Nothing around but trees and deck boards. As I mentioned before. Never had issues during the day from exact same spot. Wasn’t wearing anything, watch, phone etc.
Just watched a video stated, calibrating wasn’t needed before every flight unless traveling over 75-100 miles to new location.
Also- before flights I check status of all sensors. 99% of the time all sensors are showing “Normal” in GPS mode. Latest firmware etc.

Have you compared flying at night with and without the Pgytech lights attached? Does it fly normal without them?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon