DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Multi Battery Charger

jaysrmc

Reactions
Hey guys, I think I recall someone having a multi battery charger explode on them. Anyone remember what one it was. I want to get one but not sure what one is the one that doesn't have the heating problem.

The best way to find out is to do a search online with the product if it does have an incident with an explosion.

Not sure about exploding one, but the link here is one I have been using (YX) for over a year and it works really well. For MP1 (first link) with 3 battery terminals and two USB ports. Has fan cooling. I did see on YouTube video where there was a problem, but it turned out to be a cold solder joint. These are very robust in aluminum case. You'd need to find one for MP2. (second link.)

5 in1 Fast Charging Multi Intelligent Battery Charger Hub For DJI Mavic Pro HM 908969811555 | eBay

Multi Charger Hub Fast Charging for DJI Mavic 2 Battery & Remote Controller | eBay

Not sure about exploding one, but the link here is one I have been using (YX) for over a year and it works really well. For MP1 (first link) with 3 battery terminals and two USB ports. Has fan cooling. I did see on YouTube video where there was a problem, but it turned out to be a cold solder joint. These are very robust in aluminum case. You'd need to find one for MP2. (second link.)

5 in1 Fast Charging Multi Intelligent Battery Charger Hub For DJI Mavic Pro HM 908969811555 | eBay

Multi Charger Hub Fast Charging for DJI Mavic 2 Battery & Remote Controller | eBay

I bought this model from eBay and it blew within 8 minutes of powering it up. I had 2 batteries and my remote plugged in at the time, not even using all the charging points.

Thankfully my batteries or the remote did not get damaged. I don’t feel they are safe to use. Sticking to my original charger to be safe.

Switching power supplies occasionally have issues, and these are often related to the capacitors in the circuitry. Blown caps are not uncommon. Sometimes, the transformers short as well which causes problems. Samsung, at one point, used a whole series of tv sets that used bad electrolytic capacitors that bloated and sometimes actually ruptured. Was almost standard fare to repair these by replacing the caps in the power supplies and voila, they functioned again. I've had Apple products with the same issues on switching power supplies in their chargers and in a router. Replace bloated caps and away we go. Mostly underspecification in most cases I think. They saved about 2 cents. I suspect similar sorts of things here. Did you take the supply apart and see what might have actually failed? Would be curious.

Switching power supplies occasionally have issues, and these are often related to the capacitors in the circuitry. Blown caps are not uncommon. Sometimes, the transformers short as well which causes problems. Samsung, at one point, used a whole series of tv sets that used bad electrolytic capacitors that bloated and sometimes actually ruptured. Was almost standard fare to repair these by replacing the caps in the power supplies and voila, they functioned again. I've had Apple products with the same issues on switching power supplies in their chargers and in a router. Replace bloated caps and away we go. Mostly underspecification in most cases I think. They saved about 2 cents. I suspect similar sorts of things here. Did you take the supply apart and see what might have actually failed? Would be curious.

Yes took it apart after I got my refund. It wasn’t a capacitor issue but what appears to be some sort of high power resistor. It had a shrink wrap on it. Below is a photo of the blown component.

20181021_132721.jpg

View attachment 52209

Yes took it apart after I got my refund. It wasn’t a capacitor issue but what appears to be some sort of high power resistor. It had a shrink wrap on it. Below is a photo of the blown component.

View attachment 52209
Yup! Resistor. May have been a bad resistor, but may also have been a shorted component elsewhere. You could replace the resistor with a higher wattage and see if it fires up.

I just got the 6 in one charger from rcgeek and so far I've not had any problems. It charges 4 batteries, controller and your phone or tablet but it's biggest feature for me is it can be set to charge to 65% for storage.

I saw the RCgeeks charger. There are two infact. One 5A charger in a blue box which can do 3 batteries at once. The other is a smaller white box which can do 4 with the storage mode switch. My only issue with the smaller unit is the slow charge speed of 2hrs (2A per channel) but otherwise looks pretty good. As for storage charge, I simply set a timer on mine of ~20-25mins which gets them usually within that range (from 20% initial).

I've actually gone to the unusual effort of ordering all 3 YXC06, Sunnylife and the 5A RCGeeks. Intent is to keep the one that actually works (i.e. correct rail voltage) and doesn't exhibit any odd behavior like blowing up, overheating, devices resetting when both USB ports are in use etc. Currently have a Sunnylife which is going back to the seller, hasnt blown up but one of the rails decided to drop to 17.0v so the battery never finishes charging. Not having the best of luck. Is making a charger that works really that hard for them?

Last edited:
Report so far, the YX charger - voltages were all over the place but overall not too bad, 1x 17.6, 2 and 3 were around 17.55v - was going to keep until the USB ports decided to start acting up

RCGeeks 5A charger arrived, much better, voltages around the 17.75v mark and this one actually seems to fully charge the battery to its 4.4v/cell unlike the others (4.30-4.35ish). Presumably under load the 17.6v charge drops somewhat resulting in a less that full battery. I can't imagine it boosting flight times too much but for those trying to milk every drop out of their batteries (doing silly range tests etc) this should help.

I did notice in one battery, one particular cell was @ 4.41v so the internal BMS doesnt seem to do a very good job balance charging as it should. I've seen on my B6 clone charger during a balance charge if one cell is over it will discharge it to the correct level. Unit remains warmish when charging, utilises a cooling fan which isnt too loud.

Only minor downside I notice is the fan comes on even when only USB charging. Not a deal breaker but worth noting.

So far it seems the earlier generic chargers seem to be using re-purposed phantom 4S chargers for the Mavic 2 but given the slight voltage bump, have failed to so far produce a charger that is upto the task of charging the Mavic 2 battery fully.

I got the multi-charger in the flymore kit from DJI - no issues yet - three batteries and controller charge with no issues. I shy away from generic. One time I bought a generic controller for a playstation 3 - ( wow a while back) and it crashed the system - had to send it out to be repaired. So I don't go generic - cost more but I have piece of mind.

I got the multi-charger in the flymore kit from DJI - no issues yet - three batteries and controller charge with no issues. I shy away from generic. One time I bought a generic controller for a playstation 3 - ( wow a while back) and it crashed the system - had to send it out to be repaired. So I don't go generic - cost more but I have piece of mind.

If it was a stock LiPo, i'd be inclined to agree but the charging circuit itself is inside the each battery. The "Chargers" we buy be it generic or OEM are nothing more than power supplies with a specified voltage/current rating. The only issue I've found with some aftermarket chargers is they dont seem to put enough voltage into the battery to charge it completely.

So from what I’m reading across multiple thread, the rcgeek 5A charger seems to be the ideal charger, due to the fact that it takes the batteries to fullest charge ??

So from what I’m reading across multiple thread, the rcgeek 5A charger seems to be the ideal charger, due to the fact that it takes the batteries to fullest charge ??

Yep and the other two have flaked out (at least for me) in one way or another.

I have a couple of blue 5-in-1 chargers with the fan, switch, and grounded plug for my 7 flight batteries. Works great (I use the OEM charger for the 7th battery). Charges to 17.0 volts. You don’t want more than 4.25V per cell, it greatly reduces the longevity of the battery! I will get by with the little bit of reduced flight time. If I charged up the batts and cannot fly, I discharge the batteries for storage using 3 ISDT FD-100 80W dischargers to get the cells to 3.6V. Takes about 40 min. I don’t want to wait 10 days for the DJI self-discharge, that is too long.

BTW, 7 batteries is perfect. The remote still has about 30% left and the cell phone is hanging in there too. I can fly for about 2 1/2 hours.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willsmatt