DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Must be very stupid, but it seems to help

Related question, not only for me but for all MM pilots...
The MM use Lithium Ion batteries and not Lipo. I saw on utube that it’s ok to keep them charged at 100% and that it’s also ok to use them down to say 40% and recharge. In other words, they have no memory. Is this good information or not??? I’m aware that you can’t believe everything you see on utube or the internet. Thanks.

Seriously a good question, but you should post a new thread in the Mini section, as all can benefit from it.

I'd say Li-ion batteries will still be potential fire hazards, after all how many phone and notepad type batteries have gone up, sometimes in peoples pockets.
I'm not sure about Li-ion battery management, you might be right.
Lipos don't have a memory problem either (in general), just the long term slight degradation over time like all lithium.

A quick Google . . .

I'm sure a lot more info in lipo vs li-ion via some good searching.

The bulging of the LiPO pouches is a visual indication of the diseased cells. Your cosmetic surgery, which by some miracle didn’t kill the patient in the process, might have made the battery pack look better however you have done nothing to reverse the chemical process that caused the condition.

There is a typical and expected increase in LiPo pouch volume with use and ageing. You can often find this as a permissible volume percentage or dimension increase in the manufacturer specs.

You might safely assume that a pack that has swelled to the point it won’t properly latch when installed should be taken out of service.

Resting voltages are close to useless for assessing cell condition (imbalance being an notable exception). Internal resistance and sag under load are significantly more reliable.

Reactions: Nd33
I had the practice to fly every weekend with my MA. After every flight I reloaded the used batteries till 100%, just to be ready for the next flight.
This is not what DJI suggests, but nevertheless I did it, because, maybe, I wanted to fly on Monday, or Tuesday, or . . .

My behavior was punished by swollen batteries, which I noticed more or less half a year later.
Although I already bought new batteries, I tried to reshape the swollen ones by using a clamp,
step by step pushing more pressure and after repeating this for more than two weeks,
I notice that they become more flat again. Not as new, but surely better, I think.

Now I am ready for loads of mud, or is there anyone who can support me with his own practice?

View attachment 93249
I don't understand what you mean by "I reloaded the used batteries" Did you reload them on the drone? From the context I suspect you meant you recharged them. That's what I do so I'm ready for my next session. Should I not recharge the batteries till I'm ready to fly? That would be a long wait.

I don't understand what you mean by "I reloaded the used batteries" Did you reload them on the drone? From the context I suspect you meant you recharged them. That's what I do so I'm ready for my next session. Should I not recharge the batteries till I'm ready to fly? That would be a long wait.
After a flight the battery had more of less 25% power left. After cooling down I loaded it (in the external dji charging hub)) till 100% and then storing till the next flight, which could take 5 days or more.

I had puffed battery that I had not used for a year ( didn’t dispose of it). Yesterday I noticed that the puffing had disappeared - I have lots of LiPos for RC planes and never saw that before. So I charged the battery and at rest it looked just like a good battery; the voltages were a little low (12.4, but the same for all three cells). However, I put it in my MP to do a test. On starting the props, the voltages all dropped immediately by about 1 volt. I lifted off the AC to a height of 1 foot, and one of the cells dropped below 11. This seemed to be a reasonable test to prove that the battery had not fixed itself. I suspect the released gas had escaped somehow.

Reactions: Pontoon-pilot
After cooling down I loaded it (in the external dji charging hub)) till 100% and then storing till the next flight, which could take 5 days or more.

Don't the MA battereis have auto discharge ?
Not sure, assume they would.

They should (if same as other DJI lipos with auto discharge) do this at 10 days (usual default setting).
With some you can adjust discharge down to 2 days, so they are lowered to storage level about 55% or so . . . mostly this is done for battery longevity.

Do you ever fly after 10 days and find you battery levels are not full ?

Related question, not only for me but for all MM pilots...
The MM use Lithium Ion batteries and not Lipo. I saw on utube that it’s ok to keep them charged at 100% and that it’s also ok to use them down to say 40% and recharge. In other words, they have no memory. Is this good information or not??? I’m aware that you can’t believe everything you see on utube or the internet. Thanks.
I have found the website Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University to be a valuable resource as it list virtually every type of battery and their characteristics.

That's a very unsafe process. The "puffing" is a by-product of the components of the battery breaking down and off-gassing. It's a sealed unit and the "gases" are trapped inside resulting in the "Swollen" state.

They should be taken out of Flight Service for a couple of reasons:

• a) They are no longer able to deliver the PUNCH needed for the aircraft to sustain high current maneuvers
  • b) their total capacity has been reduced but the algorithm to determine battery % remaining may not be accurate... aka similar to a broken fuel gauge on your automobile.
  • c) The swelling can cause enough deformity to where the battery does not fully engage in the locking mechanism and could become dislodged IN FLIGHT (return to terra firms like a rock).

We keep a couple of puffed batteries for testing and software/firmware updates and I have an adapter to be able to use them to charge USB devices (iPad, Phone etc).
There are two comments I will add:
The primary reason that puffed batteries should not be used for flight is because a single cell can fail resulting in a dramatic drop in the voltage supplied and your drone suddenly dropping to the ground. A $100 battery is cheaper than a new drone let alone damage caused by the falling drone.
Puffed batteries are much more likely to burst into flame. You should not store or use puffed batteries in any building that you prefer to not burn down. They need to be disposed of safely.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique