DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My bird strike

Whatever hit the drone was probably very small to the point that the Mavic is too powerful and didn't even affected the flight.
Well, it did tumble a couple times. At one point I could see the left front prop. Quite the show when viewed with the DJI goggles. Too bad I wasn't recording yet.

Reactions: macoman
Yesterday I had an incident that must have been a bird strike. The left front landing leg was folded back
View attachment 49150
and the underside of the right front prop had some streak marks that look kinda greasy.

Looking at the .DAT file the eventLog stream shows this

147.537 : 10017 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , impact_in_air
147.557 : 10018 [L-RC]craft ctrl failed!!!
147.676 : 10024 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault off, impact_in_air
:
:
148.992 : 10090 [L-FDI]NS(0) GPS(0): fault on , conformity
:
:
149.571 : 10119 [L-RC]craft ctrl failed!!!

The M2P was hovering at about 44 meter height when the accelerometer data shows it was hit from below and from the left
View attachment 49159
The attitude data shows that it pitched up and rolled right
View attachment 49160.txt file

The pitch data shows that it tumbled end over end a few times before righting itself.

Too bad I wasn't recording the video stream. I was using the DJI Goggles and recall that the when the incident occurred that 1) the gimbal seemed to be stuck pointing at the left prop, 2) erratic hard to control flight, and 3) there was some kind of Gimbal error. The .txt log shows this "Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit". After a few secs it got easier to control but the gimbal was stuck at roughly 70° CW tilt. Finally, the gimbal righted itself as I was flying it back.

Logs are here.
DAT file
.txt file
All that computer geek stuff is light years ahead of my comprehension........ A seagull hit my drone but I landed without damage , I had no idea that flight data stuff was available and even if I saw it.... would have no idea what it all means anyway.

I would take off that leg and try and heat it back to shape perhaps ?

It's not apparent from the photo but the leg is bent at the base. You can see the discoloration where it bent here.
View attachment 49988

It won't bend back to it's original shape and leaves a gap
View attachment 49989

But, it's good enough to fly until I get the replacement part.
Yeah, Bud, just replace it. Who wants an ugly bent leg on their beautiful M2? Be safe, and keep flyin!

Oh dear, what a shock, hope you are up again soon.
I' ve had curious swallows last time while dusk, guess they found the Mavic more interesting than hunting insects. Luckily, they kept some distance.

Reactions: wingbotics
I've had turkey vultures circle me a few times. They seem more curious than aggresive. Both times I came straight down and landed. Ten minutes later went back up and they were gone. Theybuzzard 1.jpgScreen Shot 2020-01-02 at 11.12.35 AM.jpg have short attention spans too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet