DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My DJI app crashes

Steve LaBranche

Reactions
Newbie here. Mavic 2 pro. I know how to fly but the DJI go 4 app seems to crash often. Not my bird but the app. When it happens I hit hover and restart the DJI go 4 app. Recover, then it happens again. All updates are current. Display is a Samsung S7.

Am I doing something wrong? Suggestions and options welcome.

Steve LaBranche

Hi Steve, with Samsung it really helps for stability of connection to activate USB Debugging.
You do this by turning it on in Go4 on the first page under the me icon then the dots top right. You also need to activate "Developer Options" in your phone settings and turn on USB debugging. (Google Developer Options) to see how.
This keeps the USB port alive and communicating between RC and Go4 app.
One other important thing is to start RC and drone first then plug cable into phone and let RC invoke the Go4 app, which you say yes to.
DO NOT START Go4 yourself. It's important that the RC invokes the app, this keeps the connection active and alive and prevents any disconects.

Could be the Samsung thing.
My Samsung Galaxy Tab A6 connects to my Mavic but will not connect to my Mi drone.
It has no option for USB tethering even in developer options.
For some reason the GO4 app opens when I connect up to my Mavic but I can only use it on the Mi if I go wi/fi to the controller.

Great info guys, thank you for replying. I will try all of the suggestions. I'm using the short cable to connect to left side of controller not the USB connector.

However I did try to use the long USB to "C" type connector to my ASUS P008, 8" screen tablet. But the tablet didn't detect the controller. So, I'll try the enabling developer option on it.

Thanks again guys, I'll update my success or failure results.

Steve

I had problems with the port on the left and the DJI cable. Now use a short Anker cable and the big usb port bottom middle

Hi Steve, with Samsung it really helps for stability of connection to activate USB Debugging.
You do this by turning it on in Go4 on the first page under the me icon then the dots top right. You also need to activate "Developer Options" in your phone settings and turn on USB debugging. (Google Developer Options) to see how.
This keeps the USB port alive and communicating between RC and Go4 app.
One other important thing is to start RC and drone first then plug cable into phone and let RC invoke the Go4 app, which you say yes to.
DO NOT START Go4 yourself. It's important that the RC invokes the app, this keeps the connection active and alive and prevents any disconects.
That's a great help and good advice thank you

That's a great help and good advice thank you

I turned on the developer option on my S7 phone and in the Go4 app. I turned on the drone, then controller. Once connected I plugged controller into my S7, the Go4 app opened automatically, like you said it should. I hit Go Fly and took off. Went up about 300ft and flew north. The drone was barely visible so I turned on bottom accessory lights, C2 button. I looked at display to see a monochrome picture and all flight parameters read N/A and flight status showed, "remote control disconnected or failure" yet, I was able to RTH it. Happened three times in three flights. One time it appeared I couldn't control it at all. I hit hover, that worked, it stopped. Manually closed Go4 app restarted and brought it down. This is a differant malfunction then the app just crashing. I wasn't using the USB controller port but the left side of controller port.

I just saw msinger's post on a link to step by step guide. Haven't read that yet.

Thanks for input and advice guys... Steve

The cables supplied by DJI are notoriously unreliable and the cause of many app crashes or disconnects. Most people that suffer from this problem remove those cables, the bottom usb doesn’t work if the side connection is still plugged in, and use a quality cable from the bottom connection on the R/C to your viewing device.

Well, I not sure this problem is solved or not. Turned on Developer options and setting following the step by step instructions. I cleared cache on my S7 phone and put it in Performance Mode and connected via controller USB. I got my ASUS 8" tablet to work too. Just need to find a holder for it.

While sitting the ground I was exploring the menu's and the screen froze and turned monochrome and all data readings displayed N/A. The controller said it was disconnected. Since I was safely on the ground I just waited it out and it regained connection within 10 seconds. The drone was 4ft away from me.

I believe my intial problem of app crashing was the small cable and not starting app properly. But this controller freezing has me still a bit nervous.
Steve

the screen froze and turned monochrome and all data readings displayed N/A. The controller said it was disconnected
These are all signs of a cable disconnect and not an app crash. Check the cable connecting the remote controller and your phone/tab is securely connected.

The cables supplied by DJI are notoriously unreliable and the cause of many app crashes or disconnects. Most people that suffer from this problem remove those cables, the bottom usb doesn’t work if the side connection is still plugged in, and use a quality cable from the bottom connection on the R/C to your viewing device.

What are your basing that on?

Did you try uninstalling / reinstalling the app ? Worth a try if you didn't.

Best advice here

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenshin