DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Experience in "HIGH" Winds!

OP- add to your list of rules when flying:
always fly INTO the wind at the beginning of the flight, that way when the battery is low and it is time to turn around you will have the wind helping bring your baby back home. If you do the reverse, you need to realize that the RTH battery calculation will be inaccurate as it has been flying 'with' the wind and when you go to turn around it will suddenly lose time.

That is the very best advice: fly upwind out, recover downwind.

If I didn't fly in 25-35 MPH winds on the island of Curacao, I'd *NEVER* be able to fly! Today is typical, as seen below.Curacao_Drone_UAV_191221.jpg

Please explain. What do you mean "shifted the blades???" Photos???
The OP attached a photo to #11 in this thread. I think he just didn't understand that the prop' blades [normally] swing free on the hinge pins Donnie [??].

Another good reason for having hinges on the propellers is that if you hit something, they will give a bit without putting a lot of stress on the motors and the propeller blade may even survive the hit.

Reading this thread reminded me of one of my favorite quotes; “Good, now try it with both oars in the water. “. We’ve all been there one time or another, and there are a lot of helpful people here.

Last edited:
That is the very best advice: fly upwind out, recover downwind.

If I didn't fly in 25-35 MPH winds on the island of Curacao, I'd *NEVER* be able to fly!

Very True, We live on the lake front and very few days without a strong wind, so learning how to negotiate wind is essential.

We noticed that some reports were coming in , that the front legs were FOLDIN IN on themselves causing the props to catch of scuff the drone.

This is why we posted awhile back why you might want to fly backwards in a strong head wind to prevent that from happening.

This is also why we made the Mavic Wet Suits with the PLUGS that fall into place at the bend of the front legs to secure that from happening in a storm where things really start to pick up.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in and out of the storm
Coal

Last edited:
I don't mean to be that guy but you are trying to fly in 25-35mph winds.
This is well outside the DJI max specification for the M2P ->

Max Wind Speed Resistance 29–38 kph
Max Wind Speed Resistance 18–23 mph

Personally I would still fly in such winds however I would never lose LOS unless you are accounting for wind speed and direction and know what impact this would have on your battery.

Happy you recovered your drone though!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143