DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first lightning storm with the mavic.

I've often thought about trying to get lightning footage, but never seem to have my Mavic with me when it occurs.

So far I have had only one opportunity to try this. I was up for about 45 seconds when I got the dreaded message on the controller........SD CARD FULL :oops:

I've often thought about trying to get lightning footage, but never seem to have my Mavic with me when it occurs.
I'm in kansas, so from march to june that's all we get is storms.. Have more due over the next few days. The only thing that sucks is we have 20-35mph winds all the time.

Out here in the desert the tstorms go just as quick as they come. If your not ready you miss it.

Daring... whenever there's a thunderstorm near me, I want to hide the Mavic under the bed.

Clearly, the cool footage goes to the brave.

Reactions: ceirsik
The storm just past by us, so I thought Id put the mavic up to see what I could get. Its made of about 12 short videos. Nothing special but I'm liking it. going to do more. Thanks.
This is flying on the edge. Was there rain too?!

This is flying on the edge. Was there rain too?!
As the storm got just past me, the wind died down to almost nothing. After about 15min taking 8-9 short videos it did start to sprinkle. Nothing to hard but I got it back down. I wish I could've stayed up for a full battery. We have more rain tonight. I'll try to more shots of lighting.. Let's hope if it takes a hit, State Farm will come through for me!

Reactions: chardister
The storm just past by us, so I thought Id put the mavic up to see what I could get. Its made of about 12 short videos. Nothing special but I'm liking it. going to do more. Thanks.
Have you flown near t-storms again? Did you have any problems with radio interference from the lightning?

Have you flown near t-storms again? Did you have any problems with radio interference from the lightning?
No, I did not get a chance to get more. I will this spring. I didn't have any radio interference, everything was good. I was more worried about the winds and rain.