DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first major Crash with Air2S

marshvet

Reactions
I was practicing some maneuvers yesterday. I was in a large field but since the sun was quite bright, I "chose" to fly closer to the trees - than I should have. Well, I did one of those Left I meant Right maneuvers and crashed into a tree. You can see it fairly high up. After I attempted to climb it, I then reverted to ladder, climbing gear and helmet for protection, a little climbing and an extendable branch trimmer and I was able to shake it free. Amazingly after landing in the tall grass, there was no damage. Phew!!IMG_4488.jpg

Ahhh the dreaded number one enemy of drones ,glad you got it back ok

I suppose many people would say if the props look ok, do a test flight in an open space and observe how the drone performs. I am a worrier, however, and since the replacements do not cost much, I would put on new ones.

glad you were able to retrieve it. Lesson learned, I'm sure

I was practicing some maneuvers yesterday. I was in a large field but since the sun was quite bright, I "chose" to fly closer to the trees - than I should have. Well, I did one of those Left I meant Right maneuvers and crashed into a tree. You can see it fairly high up. After I attempted to climb it, I then reverted to ladder, climbing gear and helmet for protection, a little climbing and an extendable branch trimmer and I was able to shake it free. Amazingly after landing in the tall grass, there was no damage. Phew!!View attachment 147625
There are those kite eating trees we all experienced growing up and now that we’re all grown up, we now have drone eating trees to deal with. We can laugh now that you had a safe retrieval, but, it’s not worth your life to attempt a retrieval if the situation doesn’t favour your welfare. I hate to think of what crazy attempts have ended drastically. 😵‍💫

Glad you’re back in the air and safe. 👍

Reactions: rp6 and GFields
I was practicing some maneuvers yesterday. I was in a large field but since the sun was quite bright, I "chose" to fly closer to the trees - than I should have. Well, I did one of those Left I meant Right maneuvers and crashed into a tree. You can see it fairly high up. After I attempted to climb it, I then reverted to ladder, climbing gear and helmet for protection, a little climbing and an extendable branch trimmer and I was able to shake it free. Amazingly after landing in the tall grass, there was no damage. Phew!!View attachment 147625
I had a somewhat similar experience:

One of my favorite low-stress missions is tree climbing. I find some nice big pine tree, and climb it from bottom to top, maybe circle around it a bit.

I was flying Defiant, one of my Mini-2s, on exactly such a mission last year. However, it was pretty windy, about 15- 20 mph with higher gusts. The Mini-2 performed flawlessly, never out of control. What was out of control, however, was the waving of large pine tree branches! One of them reached out and grabbed Defiant, and he fell through about 80 ft of pine tree, bouncing off of branches all the way, finally getting lodged on a branch about 15 ft above the ground.

There's was no way I could get him down, so I hired a tree-service guy to come and do it the next day! He was profoundly skilled and professional. When he handed me Defiant after the retrieval, Defiant had zero damage...not even a nicked prop.

I haven't fully convinced myself that's even possible, but I popped in a fresh battery, and he's been flying like a champ ever since!

Enjoy!

Reactions: macdog
Thanks for all of your responses. Yes, the concern for safety was on my mind. Since I had some rock climbing equipment (Helmet, harness, carabiners, rope and slings) after I climbed the ladder, I tied into a branch both below and above, climbed to the higher branch and that is where the rescue mission led to success. But, I prefer to not repeat this in the future!

Your three best friends while flying are altitude....altitude....and altitude. I never do any thing below 200 feet.

Your three best friends while flying are altitude....altitude....and altitude. I never do any thing below 200 feet.

Be careful with this advice, as it clearly had advantages regarding trees and such, but as we've seen on this forum too many pilots seem to be unaware that the winds hundreds of feet up may not resemble the winds on the ground, and you could be in for a blow away or significantly reduced battery performance if trying to come back against high level winds. I know the majority understand and plan for that, but we've seen too many stories of some that don't.

Reactions: macdog
Yes and when it is windy I go father up stream than I do down stream. No reason to run into trees, chimneys and the etcs.

I'm too old to climb trees, I'd have to reach for the chain saw.

• Haha
Reactions: Pietros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun