DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first stupid question.

The-Hive

Reactions
Hi does the Mini 4 Pro drone have wifi built in to it, or must it be connect to Hub. On my 720E, when I search for a network it finds the one built into the drone, is that the same with the Mini 4 Pro?

The Mini 4 Pro connects to and is flown with the remote controller. You can find more details in the Mavic 4 Pro manual.

There are no Wi-Fi networks you can manually connect to with a mobile device -- if that's what you're trying to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: The-Hive
If you are asking about RID and being able to see that Wifi broadcast, the Mini 4 Pro is compliant and you should be able to see it, but not connect to it like @msinger said.
If I am speaking way off base, I apologize for misunderstanding the question (not a stupid one, by the way).

The Mini 4 Pro connects to and is flown with the remote controller. You can find more details in the Mavic 4 Pro manual.

There are no Wi-Fi networks you can manually connect to with a mobile device -- if that's what you're trying to do.
Thank you, so i assume then you have to connect something to a WIFI network (e.g. phone using mobile hotspot), which is bad for me as where I fly there is no WIFI available, that is why I use the 720E as the drone has it's own built in and your phone connects to the drone

Thanks again .... Rod

If you are asking about RID and being able to see that Wifi broadcast, the Mini 4 Pro is compliant and you should be able to see it, but not connect to it like @msinger said.
If I am speaking way off base, I apologize for misunderstanding the question (not a stupid one, by the way).
No not RID, I cannot get a WIFI signal where I fly, or a mobile hot spot, that is why I have to use the 720E as my phone connects to the drones network.

Thanks ...... Rod

Reactions: Sam36401
so i assume then you have to connect something to a WIFI network (e.g. phone using mobile hotspot), which is bad for me as where I fly there is no WIFI available
No, you don't need to connect to a Wi-Fi network (aka the Internet) to fly.

Did you check out the manual I linked above? I highly recommend you read that in full before attempting to fly.

No, you don't need to connect to a Wi-Fi network to fly.

Did you check out the manual I linked above? I highly recommend you read that in full before attempting to fly.
Thank you @msinger, I am still ploughing my way through the manual. so to clarify, I ca leave my phone at home and be way out in the forest and still get full functions

Thanks ..... Rod

so to clarify, I ca leave my phone at home and be way out in the forest and still get full functions
It depends.

If you're just referring to the act of flying, then, yes, you can leave your phone at home. However, you'll want to make sure you're logged into your DJI account in DJI Fly before heading to a location that has no Internet access.

And then if you want to do other things that require an Internet connection (like live streaming your flights), then you'll need to plan to be in a location where Internet is available.

...so to clarify, I ca leave my phone at home and be way out in the forest and still get full functions
And just to cover all different setup's... this as the Mini 4 Pro can be bought with a screenless RC.

If you have the DJI RC-N2 instead of the DJI RC2 (that have an built in screen)... you lose the live view & access to all app available functions & telemetry + no recorded flight log after the flight + get both height & range limitations if trying to fly without a phone/tab connected to the RC.

But regarding access to internet... it's like @msinger said.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
But you will need to connect to a network (the Internet) when DJI arbitrarily logs you out of your account, otherwise, like a lot of people here, you'll go out to fly your drone and find out that you can only get about 30m from the controller horizontally and perhaps 15m vertically.
Good workaround for this is to crank your drone up at your home location just before you head off to somewhere interesting and make sure you're logged into your DJI GO4/FLY account.

Reactions: roger boivin
you will need to connect to a network (the Internet) when DJI arbitrarily logs you out of your account
Is that really arbitrary? You shouldn't be automatically logged out unless you install DJI Fly or change your DJI account password.

Reactions: MS Coast
But you will need to connect to a network (the Internet) when DJI arbitrarily logs you out of your account, otherwise, like a lot of people here, you'll go out to fly your drone and find out that you can only get about 30m from the controller horizontally and perhaps 15m vertically.
Good workaround for this is to crank your drone up at your home location just before you head off to somewhere interesting and make sure you're logged into your DJI GO4/FLY account.
I'm sure you are aware that some people have complained that they checked this at home in a wifi environment only to arrive at their destination some hours later to find out they have been logged off...again. No professional is going to be caught at their job with equipment that has logged out because it wasn't checked earlier in the day; that's a fool me once situation. The claim is they are being logged out [unpredictably] for no reason regardless when last "checked."

But the biggest complaint is when you go into an area where there is no wifi or cell service for longer than 30 days only to find you have been logged off (and cannot login) until you go [home].

That is not exactly the case...the Mini 4 Pro is only RID compliant when using the plus batteries

Reactions: msinger
But the biggest complaint is when you go into an area where there is no wifi or cell service for longer than 30 days only to find you have been logged off (and cannot login) until you go [home].

Who reported that problem? Has anyone on this forum or anyone we know been in a location without wifi or cell service for 30+ days lately? I'd say it's going to be difficult to come up with many cases to support that complaint.

That is not exactly the case...the Mini 4 Pro is only RID compliant when using the plus batteries

To pick a nit, it's RID compliant with the lighter battery. It is being absolutely compliant not broadcasting RID with this battery.

You can become uncompliant by adding accessories, like a strobe, prop guards, etc. and flying with the 249g-labeled battery because it will not broadcast RID even though its over 250g and is required to.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Who reported that problem? Has anyone on this forum or anyone we know been in a location without wifi or cell service for 30+ days lately? I'd say it's going to be difficult to come up with many cases to support that complaint.
Not in the forum but in the other forum is where I saw it; I'll let you search it to find it....it's there. Otherwise, in this forum, this is an example of the complaints:

Not in the forum but in the other forum is where I saw it; I'll let you search it to find it....it's there. Otherwise, in this forum, this is an example of the complaints:

n=1 is not a significant sample size.

That's a single case where someone seems to have traveled 1000 miles or so (PNG to Solomon Islands) and found that he wasn't logged in when he arrived at the field location. He says he did checks at home but does not mention logging after arrival in the Solomons.

Post 14 - "Has anyone on this forum or anyone we know been in a location without wifi or cell service for 30+ days lately? I'd say it's going to be difficult to come up with many cases to support that complaint."

Any reports?

Reactions: Meta4
To pick a nit, it's RID compliant with the lighter battery. It is being absolutely compliant not broadcasting RID with this battery.

You can become uncompliant by adding accessories, like a strobe, prop guards, etc. and flying with the 249g-labeled battery because it will not broadcast RID even though its over 250g and is required to.
To pick that nit even cleaner...if you have 107 ...you have to register all your drones:

1709486360047.png
AND all registered drones require RID....

n=1 is not a significant sample size.

That's a single case where someone seems to have traveled 1000 miles or so (PNG to Solomon Islands) and found that he wasn't logged in when he arrived at the field location. He says he did checks at home but does not mention logging after arrival in the Solomons.

Post 14 - "Has anyone on this forum or anyone we know been in a location without wifi or cell service for 30+ days lately? I'd say it's going to be difficult to come up with many cases to support that complaint."

Any reports?
Not in the forum but in the other forum is where I saw it...
I personally don't have the problem so I won't be going any further with this because it doesn't directly impact me. You can check the other forum or check with DJI if you are interested in the actual reports.

For sake of argument, let's stipulate the no-wifi problem is true.

While very irritating, and disabling in a small number of cases, this issue is really irrelevant to the vast majority of DJI customers. The flights that suffer from this are not even a rounding error in the overall stats. The incentive for DJI to address this just about non-existent.

The solution is, and IMO will remain to use a drone from another manufacturer.

Except in the EU. You guys are simply screwed with the new network-at-launch requirement. You guys have a lot of sympathy for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1