DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first stupid question.

Reactions: MS Coast
At 1:17 what he told you supports what I have been saying...later at 1:45 he supports your assertion ...I actually did reach out to them last night, myself and have not heard anything back, except they asked me to take a survey about my satisfaction
shrug.jpg

At 1:17 what he told you supports what I have been saying
At 1:17 PM, I don't think he fully understood what I was asking. Therefore, I don't think that information can be trusted.

At 1:45 PM, he confirms a Part 107 holder does not need to register all aircraft (like the information I shared with you confirms).

FWIW, I was not making any assertions above. Everything I've shared can be found in the links I provided (all linking back to official FAA content).

Feel free to register all of your aircraft if that makes you feel better. The FAA is confirming that is not necessary, but it's not going to hurt anything if you choose to do so. With that said though, you'll also want to ensure you attach an external RID module to your aircraft < 250 grams if they aren't equipped with RID.

Well that was fast... I'm very impressed, FAA. Here's the response I got from my inquiry in post #60:

"Mr. [name elided],​
The status of the pilot does not matter. If you are flying this drone recreationally, you need not register. If the drone is not registered, Remote ID is not needed. If you register it, it must have Remote ID.​
Paul​
Paul Hamilton"​

This looks to me to verify @MARK (LI)'s assertion that if the drone is registered, it must broadcast RID, regardless of weight and pilot certification.

This looks to me to verify @MARK (LI)'s assertion that if the drone is registered, it must broadcast RID, regardless of weight and pilot certification.
Like all of the other topics in this thread, these assertions are just muddying the waters. That one has been covered here by the FAA (in the first paragraph).

And then the real head scratcher is the people who want to continue making assertions even after you've pointed them to the answer on the FAA's website or regulations. I don't really understand that part.

Last edited:
@msinger, if the confusion others have is irritating you, you certainly can ignore the discussion.

The waters are obviously muddy without the assertions you're referring to. Many of us, quite intelligent by the way, have studied what the FAA, Drone Institute, you, and other reliable sources of information on MPDC have said, and it hasn't made things simple and clear.

That's why we're asking and discussing. Our motives are honorable and sincere. I, and others, believe MPDC is a welcoming place to try and resolve these questions.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
@msinger, if the confusion others have is irritating you, you certainly can ignore the discussion.
It's not irritating at all (to me at least). I just don't understand the thought process behind it.

Many of us, quite intelligent by the way, have studied what the FAA, Drone Institute, you, and other reliable sources of information on MPDC have said, and it hasn't made things simple and clear.
So, which topics mentioned in this thread aren't simple and clear at this point? All of the FAA sources referenced in this thread seem to use very simple and clear language.

Last edited: