DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My first year with the drone - castles, ruins, snow, water....

Subraid

Reactions
Hello everybody,

after my first two "introduction videos" I have now familiarized myself a bit further with video editing. The learning curve with DaVinci Resolve is fortunately quite high, especially at the beginning...

Sort out, rough cut, cut to fit the music, color graded, denoised, faces pixelated, texts added... etc...
Would love to hear your opinion and critique.

Lessons learned:
- don't fly into an active snow cannon o_O (minute 2:22 and 5:22 in the video) (the Mavic 2 Pro wanted to land immediately afterwards with "motor overspeed" (or something like that).... Propellers were totally iced up at the leading edges.... :eek: )
- i think i have to delete some more video material. Viewers who don't have an emotional connection with the action will probably find it too long?
- hard cuts, like now in the video or soft transitions...what should I take?

Here's my edit from my first year with the drone:

A labor of love for the family , the pixy was a cool touch for security. Some Beautiful places in france and the hard cuts work the best.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly you Mavic 2 in the Rain !

Reactions: Subraid
Nice work! Usually I can’t take much more than 2 or 3 minutes of anyone’s videos, but I watched all of yours. I like how you incorporated the family along the way. Beautiful subject matter, some smooth flying, and nice editing with Davinci (which is a monster to learn. I have tried twice now but always return to Final Cut Pro X every time lol) Cheers and happy flying & film making ??

Nice scenery and colors! But I would have preferred some slower camera movement and edit out or eliminate the jerky sections of the video.

Understanding that smooth drone moves are very difficult, one thing that I like to do is fly in straight lines then add the camera movement in editing using pan or zoom.

Good Luck!

Nice work! What editing software do you use for the graphics?

One other item. A real-estate agent I do work for told me that most online viewers have a 90 second tolerance limit. If the subject is on the screen too long they will tune out. The first few segments with the family and castles were good but the barge in the river was a bit boring. You seem to have a good eye and I do like the variety of footage. Keep it up.

Hello everybody,

after my first two "introduction videos" I have now familiarized myself a bit further with video editing. The learning curve with DaVinci Resolve is fortunately quite high, especially at the beginning...

Sort out, rough cut, cut to fit the music, color graded, denoised, faces pixelated, texts added... etc...

Lessons learned:
- don't fly into an active snow cannon o_O (minute 2:22 and 5:22 in the video) (the Mavic 2 Pro wanted to land immediately afterwards with "motor overspeed" (or something like that).... Propellers were totally iced up at the leading edges.... :eek: )
- i think i have to delete some more video material. Viewers who don't have an emotional connection with the action will probably find it too long?

Beautiful, well done

Well, I've been racking my brain for a stuck indoors activity for this
winter. You have inspired me. I don't have the beauty of France but I DO have a family that I can bore the $(%( out of with my compilations. Like someone before me said, I rarely watch these videos for more than a minute or two. I watched yours to the end.

Hi and thank you all for the positiv comments so far!

Nice scenery and colors! But I would have preferred some slower camera movement and edit out or eliminate the jerky sections of the video.

Understanding that smooth drone moves are very difficult, one thing that I like to do is fly in straight lines then add the camera movement in editing using pan or zoom.

Good Luck!

You are absolutely right. I've tried that in later videos and with the earlier ones it was a tradeoff for me between having the scene included in the video or delete it due to sudden movements :)

Nice work! What editing software do you use for the graphics?

I'm note sure what graphics you mean exactly? The video was entirely created with DaVinci Resolve Studio 17.

The first few segments with the family and castles were good but the barge in the river was a bit boring.

At first I was surprised by this comment but the YouTube analytics confirm your statement. Many views drop out at this scene. For me it is one of the most favored scenes with flying in the mist revealing the barge slowly. But that is, again, a good example between my own, "emotional connection" with the videos and the actual experience with it.

most online viewers have a 90 second tolerance limit. If the subject is on the screen too long they will tune out.
My tolerance limit is 15 seconds. If a video does not “cut” (change scene) at least once within 15 seconds, then I have totally lost faith in your ability as an editor and I start “fast forwarding” to compensate for your inability.

That said, Subraid’s video starts VERY WELL. He cuts twice within the first 15 seconds with both cuts occurring on the music beat, plus one of his clips is a “birds eye view” (showing that he uses variety in his filming techniques). It sounds basic, but already he is in the top 20% of the class and he’s captured my interest as a viewer. I’m engaged and not fast-forwarding.

All in all, a pretty good video.

Hello everybody,

Lessons learned:

Wonderful video. Congrats.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25