DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Iphone is Useless in 70 Degrees or Warmer

bkushner

Reactions
Is there a great Android phone that works great and is bright? Totally unfamiliar with the Android Eco sphere..

Is there a great Android phone that works great and is bright? Totally unfamiliar with the Android Eco sphere..
I have personally used a range of Huawei phones (most recently P30 Pro) and they have always been very stable. Android phones vary massively in price so it kind of depends on your budget. However, cheaper handsets are less likely to work as they may lack the processing power and the required 64 bit architecture.

Is there a great Android phone that works great and is bright?

It's a little pricey and heavy but the Tripltek tablet has the brightest display of most devices and long battery life.

It has a sim card tray that can be used for as a phone.

I went from a mini4 to the Tripltek Pro and only use it for flying.

My old phone (Android) all of a sudden went belly-up last Saturday. Just glad I had a recent total backup.

I don't need all the latest hot-shot features and am not one to go to the Verizon store and come home with a >$800 phone and a $50 increase in my monthly bill for years...
So I've decided on a:

Google Pixel 3XL--
  • Snapdragon 845 SOC 64 bit architecture
  • 4GB Ram
  • Android 11
  • All the latest wifi, bluetooth, and USB specs
  • Satellite support for Beidou, Galileo, GLONASS, GPS, QZSS, SBAS
  • From researching, it has a 'killer camera'
  • 'Pure' Android experience, no manufacturer added-on app crap
  • By now, accessories (holsters, etc.) are cheap (on Amazon)
  • ~$200 or less on ebay and amazon
  • etc.
Intro'd in 2018, it may be a little aged, but so is my MPP and i LUV it!

If you are planning on staying in the phone size and not tablet (like the tripletek), I recently switched over to using our Android work phone for our Air 2S. It's a Samsung S20+ and runs at 847 nits of brightness as apposed to my iPhone XR (used previously) which runs at 589 nits (625 max). We live in Orlando and I shoot a lot on the gulf coast. VERY bright and very hot. Our iPhones and iPads would shut themselves down pretty quickly. Never had an issue with the Samsung.

Instead of jumping ship to an environment your unfamiliar with and has issues of its own from device model to model and App version to App version, if your actually thinking of replacing your device, get a newer iPhone, I never have trouble with my iPhone 12 and I've flown without issues in temps to 90+.. Course I find shade, I and do not stand in direct sun. Sure one can say thats not always possible, but even then there are other options.

Though I find it really hard to believe that its only 70 or a little warmer and you're having issues and if you are, there is something wrong with that specific iPhone and not every iPhone.

Many many posts about the iPhone and heat issue (look at similar threads at bottom of your post). Turn off as many apps as you can, try Airplane Mode, and clear as much junk from the phone and hopefully it runs much cooler. Seems the latest DJI FlyApp is a "HOG" for both Android and Apple.

I use a Lenovo M10 FHD tablet and it's fine - as the FlyApp is the only app I run on it and I keep it clear / clean of junk as well. Brightness is not great, but works. At under $200, it does what I need to and a nice big screen compared to my Moto Z phone.

Instead of jumping ship to an environment your unfamiliar with and has issues of its own from device model to model and App version to App version, if your actually thinking of replacing your device, get a newer iPhone, I never have trouble with my iPhone 12 and I've flown without issues in temps to 90+.. Course I find shade, I and do not stand in direct sun. Sure one can say thats not always possible, but even then there are other options.

Though I find it really hard to believe that its only 70 or a little warmer and you're having issues and if you are, there is something wrong with that specific iPhone and not every iPhone.
Agree on the 70degrees shouldn’t be an issue. I have iPhone 12 and have never had overheating issues while flying here in NC with 90+ temps…..

Unless you mean 70°C then, as mentioned above, your phone is faulty. A bit more information would have been helpful - is it shutting down with a temperature warning?

Many many posts about the iPhone and heat issue (look at similar threads at bottom of your post). Turn off as many apps as you can, try Airplane Mode, and clear as much junk from the phone and hopefully it runs much cooler. Seems the latest DJI FlyApp is a "HOG" for both Android and Apple.

I use a Lenovo M10 FHD tablet and it's fine - as the FlyApp is the only app I run on it and I keep it clear / clean of junk as well. Brightness is not great, but works. At under $200, it does what I need to and a nice big screen compared to my Moto Z phone.
Most any device, perhaps with rare exceptions would have issues in high heat and direct sun in the temps many places have been having this summer.. Some of course are spec'ed to operate at higher temps.. and Display tech is evolving, and while it can be brighter, sharper, and more colorful, in some cases its also more sensitive to high temps.

Usually as I noted, if you can stay out of direct sun or get a good sun shade, you should be fine. If your getting overheating warnings and not just display fading, thats a different issue.. Course he did not say specifically what symptoms being experienced. But overheating and display fade are the usual suspects.

My iPhone 12 Pro Max has dimmed a couple of times while in direct sunlight on a really hot day. My iPad mini 5 I dont recall seeing it dim and I prefer it to the phone due to the size. I have a new Android phone as well and have seen it dim when being outside for an extended period in the heat. If I can find shade, any shade so it does not have to run at full brightness I have had no issues.

Reactions: SFC117
Check out the Triplteck Tablet. Its great!

Reactions: bkushner
I have a tripltek but as you say it's big and heavy and I don't want to use it all the time.

Reactions: MA2 317
No please tell me how you do that. All I've read said you couldn't!

Unless you mean 70°C then, as mentioned above, your phone is faulty. A bit more information would have been helpful - is it shutting down with a temperature warning?
Dimming, not shutting down 70 F after one flight it gets hot. I tried two phones same thing. Charging is off...

Dimming, not shutting down 70 F after one flight it gets hot. I tried two phones same thing. Charging is off...
Which iphone is this? if its an older model, later versions of Fly appear to be consuming more resources and that can lead to problems.. If its an older model, look into upgrading it...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard