DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My M2P got hit by a truck!

Archon<>Procyon another maneuver you could have taken with the plane heading directly for your drone would have been the CSC (Combination Stick Command). Sure, your drone would have dropped like a stone straight into the lake. I'd say that given you couldn't have predicted whether the plane was about to change attitude and strike your ascending drone, the CSC would have been the better choice but I realise that in situations like these there's no time to assess options and the reactions have to be automatic.

Archon<>Procyon another maneuver you could have taken with the plane heading directly for your drone would have been the CSC (Combination Stick Command). Sure, your drone would have dropped like a stone straight into the lake. I'd say that given you couldn't have predicted whether the plane was about to change attitude and strike your ascending drone, the CSC would have been the better choice but I realise that in situations like these there's no time to assess options and the reactions have to be automatic.
Yea believe it or not that did flash in my head and I instantly thought it would take longer to execute the spiral of death because, unless I’m mistaken, it takes 3 seconds to initiate that to negate and accidental CSC command. Just seemed the fastest method at the time. It was close enough it launched that drone quite a bit faster up when it went under it. So scary!

• Haha
Reactions: JMills
I didn't know that the CSC took 3 sec, I'll have to try it sometime, - from a suitable height and with a suitably soft landing surface. I think that's the problem, I suspect we all land and shut off the drone with the 'down throttle stick' rather than CSC when it touches the ground, so we forget that CSC exists. (except for take off of course).

If there was $500 damage to the truck of course you'd have to report it, but in the first case that'd be hard to come by.

A truck came along and hit a hovering drone. The drone only had a few scratches, but they had to total the truck.

Not happening.

Reactions: fuzzball
I didn't know that the CSC took 3 sec, I'll have to try it sometime, - from a suitable height and with a suitably soft landing surface. I think that's the problem, I suspect we all land and shut off the drone with the 'down throttle stick' rather than CSC when it touches the ground, so we forget that CSC exists. (except for take off of course).
I could be mistaken on that, but by using CSC to start/stop the motors on the ground obviously it’s basically an instant response. However, I know I’ve read it somewhere that to execute this procedure while in flight is not initiated as an “on demand” command in order to negate a possible accidental stick combination, therefore avoiding an unnecessary crash. Instead the stick combo must be held in place for at least 1.5 seconds which would indicate an intentional CSC command. But as I mentioned I could be mistaken on what I read I just hope to never have to find out! I don’t even wanna attempt a 2 foot altitude test lol, with my luck something would break I just know it!

I'd be pissed if I hit a UAS with my truck that was hovering over the road. Fixing the minor damage to the truck is more costly than the loss of the UAS. You owe that driver an apology and a check to fix whatever damage you caused.

No excuses on your part either, this is grade A stupid.
Accidents happen ok right in line of sight nbut I'm newbie with a mavic mini and guessing exact position is a challenge for a start on screen or a panic move of a stick, port instead of starboard if u ain't 100% sure direction your facing and that's why it's worth getting drone insurance yeah his fault but **** happens mavic air 2 comes on Monday so more fun I can race em round town a remote in each hand while getting tow from my husky on my skateboard ?

• Haha
I wouldn't be surprised if it was partly intentional. It's hard to believe the driver wouldn't of seen it when he got close. Also, that would explain why he didn't stop. I got hit by a motorcycle with a side car here in the Philippines, and I know he crossed over to the left lane to hit me. Here's my post.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was partly intentional. It's hard to believe the driver wouldn't of seen it when he got close. Also, that would explain why he didn't stop. I got hit by a motorcycle with a side car here in the Philippines, and I know he crossed over to the left lane to hit me. Here's my post.

I have to admit the thought had crossed my mind.....but, I shouldn't have been in the position I was to give him a free shot. Would've been much more entertaining if he would have had to climb the curb and sidewalk to take me out!

It looked like it landed awkwardly on the curb so probably added to the damage. Good point, if I had been >30m from the truck it more than likely would have missed the drone.

I certainly wasn't trying to be in the edge of the road. I mistakenly though I was still over the grass beyond the curb. In my 45 years of being in and around that house I've never seen a car drive up over the curb and into the yard so felt I was safe. As I said in the original post it was my fault.

Accidents happen, which is why I advocate flying with insurance, an abundance of caution, an observer, and whatever else is needed to avoid foreseeable problems. Unfortunately, you can’t anticipate everything, so - insurance.

You got off easy. It could have been someone on a motorcycle wearing sun glasses with no helmet.

You are not alone, I’ve made (lots of) stupid mistakes too. Thanks for sharing so the rest of us can learn from your mistake!

We’ve learned...

1. You can’t judge relative distance/position with any accuracy beyond a surprisingly short distance,

2. We’re not alone in the airspace in which we operate,

3. It’s riskier to fly close to the ground,

4. Stuff happens,

5. Be prepared, and

6. Let’s not do that again.

Thanks again for sharing!

I agree that we all make stupid mistakes. Thanks for sharing so the rest of us can learn from it. A friend of mine almost got hit by a drone too. Good thing it just landed on his truck tool box. The vehicle is parked out of his garage because they were fixing it that time.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S