DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My MA2 got hit by a powerful laser.

Without question agreed Boblui.
But is a pocket laser powerful enough to do that at distance?
I was thinking more along the lines of damaging sensors or interfering with control systems etc

Tufargon, I think you misinterpret the thinking behind my post, it was NOT meant to be contentious, the questions were and are sincere

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
I saw the beam hitting my drone
You must have a different dictionary.
powerful : having the ability to control or influence people or things. : having a strong effect on someone or something. : having or producing a lot of physical strength or force.

Reactions: GCMM2P
That looked like a less than 5 mW laser. Just a pointer. Certainly shouldn't have been pointed towards an aircraft, manned or not. I have much more powerful industrial lasers, and would never do that, but it isn't likely that this laser pen would cause any damage to the camera, and certainly it wouldn't burn a hole in the drone. I'm more concerned with people who try to shoot one down with a gun, because you don't know where the bullet's trajectory will bring the bullet down.

I think that applies to manned aircraft ? I doubt very much if a drone is classified as an "aircraft" in the context of that FAA rules/laws.

UAS are considered aircraft due to the Pirker v. Huerta NTSB Legislative Law Judge ruling in 2014. So yes, all aviation laws dealing with "aircraft" apply to unmanned aircraft as well.

Getting the DOJ or DOT IOG to do anything about that is a different story though.

Reactions: Tufargon
Flying at night IS legal. As far is seeing the drone in the dark, very easy since it has lights. As a pilot, anyone pointing a laser at a plane needs to be arrested. If a kid doesn’t know better, it’s a good time to learn. An anonymous report to the FAA would put them on notice that there are possible violators in the area. Let them know you have video and leave it up to them.
Thank you.

Reactions: Tufargon and Jeff A
UAS are considered aircraft due to the Pirker v. Huerta NTSB Legislative Law Judge ruling in 2014. So yes, all aviation laws dealing with "aircraft" apply to unmanned aircraft as well.

Interesting law. pointing a laser to this is an offense I believe ?

1597497965451.png

Really cant imagine why pointing a laser pen to a drone is an offense .....

I’m not sure about the rest of the world but here in Canada and in the US federal legislation classifies drones as aircraft. It is a federal offence to point a laser at ANY aircraft, period.

I’m not sure about the rest of the world but here in Canada and in the US federal legislation classifies drones as aircraft. It is a federal offence to point a laser at ANY aircraft, period.
It's all very well for forum lawyers to confidently give their verdict, but has anyone ever seen the FAA care at all about anything similar?

Reactions: GCMM2P
Ok, here goes.
If the OP thinks that the FAA is gonna spend time and resources to investigate & prosecute someone who pointed a pointer at a drone, I say dream on. It doesn't matter whether drones are considered aircraft or not. You just can't logically or with common sense think that a drone is in the same league as a airplane. That's like thinking that just because we are called pilots gives us the same distinction and privileges as aircraft pilots.
So to keep it real simple...Get over it.
Nuff said.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB