DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My MA2 got hit by a powerful laser.

I've been in the air when a pilot reported a laser to ATC and ATC had the police on it in rapid fashion. I remember the pilot saying it was coming from what look like the corner of a mall parking lot. The Controller knew the planes location and was familiar with the area and said that he knew the spot. Before the reporting pilot left the area I heard him tell ATC that the blue flashing lights were arriving. I was really surprised that with very little conversation ..they were on top of it. Wish I knew the outcome..we were switched frequency's and I never heard how it all came out.
All that being said..That video looks a little like the pot calling the kettle black. ?

At this point there is no evidence that this is just a laser pointer--it could be high enough power to damage the CMOS chip or even the aircraft. E.g., one can purchase 1 watt hand-held lasers that can do damage.

Without question agreed Boblui.
But is a pocket laser powerful enough to do that at distance?
I was thinking more along the lines of damaging sensors or interfering with control systems etc

Tufargon, I think you misinterpret the thinking behind my post, it was NOT meant to be contentious, the questions were and are sincere
And if said laser was likely to compromise the drone's flight it might thereby endanger the public if the drone crashed?

It is a law and very serious. Here you go.
Laser Incidents
If your claim is that all laws that pertain to man aircraft are the same for recreational drones, we are all in trouble.

Aiming a laser at an aircraft is a serious safety risk and violates federal law. Many high-powered lasers can completely incapacitate pilots who are trying to fly safely to their destinations and may be carrying hundreds of passengers. To minimize risk to pilots and crew, it is essential that everyone report laser incidents as soon as possible.

If your claim is that all laws that pertain to man aircraft are the same for recreational drones, we are all in trouble.

Aiming a laser at an aircraft is a serious safety risk and violates federal law. Many high-powered lasers can completely incapacitate pilots who are trying to fly safely to their destinations and may be carrying hundreds of passengers. To minimize risk to pilots and crew, it is essential that everyone report laser incidents as soon as possible.
Not all but that one is. They don't care if it's a pocket laser or powerful laser. It is a laser and can possibly cause damage to the aircraft and if it does then it can harm people on the way down. Same as shooting it down with a gun.

Reactions: Ex Coelis
It is a law and very serious. Here you go.
Laser Incidents

Here is the Law, so no its not a federal crime to point a laser at a recreational drone
Section 91.11 No person may assault, threaten, intimidate or interfere with a crew-member in the performance of the crew-members duties abroad an aircraft being operated

Link to FAA Memorandom

Here is the Law, so no its not a federal crime to point a laser at a recreational drone
Section 91.11 No person may assault, threaten, intimidate or interfere with a crew-member in the performance of the crew-members duties abroad an aircraft being operated

Link to FAA Memorandom
That's for an aircraft with people. Not a drone.
I can understand you don't want to get it or just don't get it. It is what it is.

Not all but that one is. They don't care if it's a pocket laser or powerful laser. It is a laser and can possibly cause damage to the aircraft and if it does then it can harm people on the way down. Same as shooting it down with a gun.
FAA needs to address this for drones, as of now there is no law that makes it a federal offence, that I can find

Example :
From your post

It is unclear if the drone came down strictly due to the hand held laser pointers or some other interference (being struck by a thrown object or hitting a wire not visible in this video). Taken during a protest in Chile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada