DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 Range Issues

CBR549

Reactions
Hi

Been flying my Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 for about 9 months but as I was new to it I never flew more than a few hundred feet distance. After getting more comfortable I finally decided to do little range testing. I live in a rural area with sub divisions, low rolling hills, forest and fields. I was never able to reach more than ½ to ¾ of a mile flying from 200 to 400ft altitude. I changed location to the top of the highest hill with the same results. Thinking it was only something to do with settings I did the research, made a few but no major changes, again I got same results. Finally called DJI support and on three different calls all suggested that I send them in to be checked? Funny this issue with range seems to be a common occurrence. With a supposed advertised range of 11.5 miles, 1/2 miles to 3/4 miles seems like something must be wrong?

Reactions: JDerrick
Don't confuse signal range with endurance. An Air is spec'd at 10km, or 6 miles. The Air 2 will fly at 24 mph for about 30 minutes, about 12 miles.

There are a few things that make the actual loss of signal range much less than 10 km. A tree between you and the drone is enough. And, not pointing the controller at the drone is the other common mistake.

And, a radio range limit of a half mile is not common at all. But, the fact that at a mile you are clearly flying beyond what is commonly called Visual Line of Sight, thus flying illegally, you won't hear a lot of people advertising they fly miles away from where they are standing. But you can find many YouTubers doing exactly that. It isn't uncommon to see them get out to 4 miles or even 6 miles before the battery forces an RTH. Back to that 30 minutes flight time - 6 miles out, 6 miles back: 12 miles endurance.

I have an MA2 and can only get 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile if I go over trees. Yes, it's BVLOS. If I go in the one direction without trees and have a clear sight line, I get out to 1-1.5 miles without any signal loss - could easily go much farther. Same happened when I was at my friend's farm.

For me, trees are a bigger issue than WIFI noise.

Reactions: TnDronePilot
Hi

Been flying my Mavic Air 2 and Mini 2 for about 9 months but as I was new to it I never flew more than a few hundred feet distance. After getting more comfortable I finally decided to do little range testing. I live in a rural area with sub divisions, low rolling hills, forest and fields. I was never able to reach more than ½ to ¾ of a mile flying from 200 to 400ft altitude. I changed location to the top of the highest hill with the same results. Thinking it was only something to do with settings I did the research, made a few but no major changes, again I got same results. Finally called DJI support and on three different calls all suggested that I send them in to be checked? Funny this issue with range seems to be a common occurrence. With a supposed advertised range of 11.5 miles, 1/2 miles to 3/4 miles seems like something must be wrong?
Same birds same problem.
And the smart controller range is even LESS!
All they ever say is send them in [and do what?]
They must know the real range is far less than promised!
:oops:

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
The best I have achieved with my MM2 was 3.5km before I lost signal.
Regards

In response, endurance is not confused at all and is not in question. As was stated, ½ to under ¾ of a mile is the max distance of stable transmission under several different circumstances, and several where there was nothing between the properly aimed antenna and the drone.

As advertised with the Air 2, I should be getting 11.5 miles or 5.25 miles round trip regardless of legalities. The ½ to less than ¾ of a mile to me is unacceptable. At an altitude of 200 to 400ft trees are not the problem and antenna aiming is not the problem.

And… Yes this seems to be a common issue as proven by the many posts on this same said issue.

They did say, “Send them in to allow their engineers to check for problems”. So that’s what I’ve done. We’ll see what happens?

In response, endurance is not confused at all and is not in question. As was stated, ½ to under ¾ of a mile is the max distance of stable transmission under several different circumstances, and several where there was nothing between the properly aimed antenna and the drone.

As advertised with the Air 2, I should be getting 11.5 miles or 5.25 miles round trip regardless of legalities. The ½ to less than ¾ of a mile to me is unacceptable. At an altitude of 200 to 400ft trees are not the problem and antenna aiming is not the problem.

And… Yes this seems to be a common issue as proven by the many posts on this same said issue.

They did say, “Send them in to allow their engineers to check for problems”. So that’s what I’ve done. We’ll see what happens?
I'd ask if you have the FAA's "TRUST" exam / certificate? If not, that is a requirement - even for rec and 107 pilots and have a print out of that certificate on your person when flying. In that test - it explains Visual Line of Sight very well and that is a rule I'd venture to say all pilots do not like - but it's a rule nonetheless.

What DJI and any other manufacturer state for range is pure hyperbole and not applicable to most drone pilots, as few countries allow unrestricted flight by a drone. Visual Line of Sight is different for every person and drone. Yet, most people even with strobes and anything else attached to make the drone "visible" from where you are standing - can achieve maybe 1/4 - 3/4 mile range before it disappears from eyesight. Visual does not count having people downrange watching the drone or what you see on the screen.

With all that said - my Air2 can lose signal anywhere from 1/8 - 1/4 mile out. Trees and other obstacles do create signal issues. Signal loss is typically less at higher altitudes - 300-400 feet versus 100-200 feet.

Should you decide to fly beyond your eyesight range - that is up to you; yet would not advertise it in any public forum.

Reactions: TnDronePilot
I understand the general disdain, the legalities, and dangers of flying BVLOS. I have no need for it but, hypothetically, what if someone owns 300 acres which is 1500 less than square mile, all under Class G. I'm guessing they are unable to fly BVLOS less than 400 AGL as well?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: tlswift58
I understand the general disdain, the legalities, and dangers of flying BVLOS. I have no need for it but, hypothetically, what if someone owns 300 acres which is over 1500 square miles, all under Class G. I'm guessing they are unable to fly BVLOS less than 400 AGL as well?
You may want to check your acres conversion to square miles. 1 sq.mile = 640 acre

• Haha
Reactions: Zeprider
You may want to check your acres conversion to square miles. 1 sq.mile = 640 acre
You're correct. I am way off. My maths is broken.

Reactions: CaseyK
No one said to ignore the BVLOS rule or other legalities. That is not the issue here. The issue here is whether DJI either imagined or lied about the achievable range of the Air 2.

Has anyone ever achieved 5 miles or 8 kilometers one way with the Air 2? Just sayin.

Reactions: Pallidin
I saw a video on YouTube where some guy distance tested his MA2. He had an unobstructed path with no trees, buildings etc. He flew from atop what appeared to be a hill all the way to a body of water crossing fields and farms to get there and made the return trip albeit nervous as heck.

Even though this is not my bag, it was a successful flight, and one of the reasons I bought an MA2. Not for its distance capabilities but if it can fly that distance the radios involved must be excellent. And thus I can feel confident flying VLOS knowing that this thing can remain under control and return to me. But that's me.

I understand the general disdain, the legalities, and dangers of flying BVLOS. I have no need for it but, hypothetically, what if someone owns 300 acres which is over 1500 square miles, all under Class G. I'm guessing they are unable to fly BVLOS less than 400 AGL as well?
The only answer is - what do the rules state for flying a drone in the state / country you live in!

Unless you live in a country that has no such rules and then I hypothetically suppose - you could fly as high and as far as the drone will go before the battery dies and the drone crashes.

I'd love to live in such a country under such hypothetical thoughts. That would be a drone fantasy land for sure with no rules to abide by.

Reactions: Zeprider
  • Haha
Reactions: tlswift58
No one said to ignore the BVLOS rule or other legalities. That is not the issue here. The issue here is whether DJI either imagined or lied about the achievable range of the Air 2.

Has anyone ever achieved 5 miles or 8 kilometers one way with the Air 2? Just sayin.
None of that is an issue either that you mention. What DJI or any other drone company says is a moot point. It's a selling tool - and what company does not stretch the truth when advertising their product(s)?

Almost every car I buy in the USA has a 120mph speedometer. Does that allow me or you to drive at 120 mph simply because the vehicle has a speedometer that reads that? No, as the rules in the USA and many other countries have restrictions on such things - which also includes how far a person can "legally" fly a drone.

Flying in flat Florida, Arizona, Nevada, or other states that have flat spaces miles and miles in all directions can allow me or you to fly farther and keep a signal (and VLOS) with the drone than in a state that has mountains, tons of trees, or even skyscrapers that create signal loss / drone disconnect and a very short VLOS.

As it is, you can fly as far as and as high as your drone will go - but be ready to accept the consequences of those actions when something happens or caught.

Many YouTube videos of people showing them being a rogue pilot and not following the rules where they live. I see people flying rogue on occasion - like flying in (I mean taking off / landing inside) National Parks / State Parks / etc - so does that make it legal / legitimate?

By putting such things out in a very public forum could lead to actions against said people - that is why I simply tell folks here, you can fly and do what you want - it's your drone and your responsibility - but simply don't post that you flew 2 miles downrange or flew 600 ft AGL. Keep that info private.

Reactions: dap455 and Zeprider
Same birds same problem.
And the smart controller range is even LESS!
All they ever say is send them in [and do what?]
They must know the real range is far less than promised!
:oops:

I own a DJI Smart Controller and have never faced any range issues with my Mavic Air 2. Those guys on YouTube showing their drones out miles are accurate an not making imaginary recordings.

The flip side is I have also seen video and logs of people flying from treed areas and in-between buildings and their drones going dark less than 500 feet away. This is also expected. Trees absorb radio waves; it's why a satellite dish must have a clear view of the sky - no trees allowed in front of it.

If you have a range problem, 99% of the time it's where you are flying.

I watched one YouTube video of a gent flying his Air 2 out well over five miles when his battery alarm went off. He was in Hawaii, flying downslope from altitude out over pretty much farmland and forest. So he was ignoring BVLOS and altitude rules to do it. And DJI states "laboratory conditions" for all it's specs. So battery life of 34 minutes is hype, range of 10km or 15km is hype. Etc.

What would scare me about BVLOS would be a collision with a small plane or chopper, both of which I have seen under 400’ agl. Yes, the chances are extremely slim but look how many have won the lottery with extremely slim chances.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d