DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic air II crashed

So it is confirmed then; pushing throttle up has no bearing on the autoland once it has commenced in the MA2? In the other Mavics, it is possible to fight autoland till the battery dies.
Fight, yes. Override, no. Just small movements to try avoiding objects below.

I don't know what you mean by "more likely to land on its own". This is not based on probabilities - autoland is initiated when the battery level falls below the computed autoland level, which is simply a function of height above the takeoff point in the form 10 + kh. You can see that happen in the graph in post #6.

I wasn’t very clear. I meant it’s more likely to run into the situation of the drone starting to land on its own with the MA2 than with the Mini, since 5% is not a battery level you should get at normally but when my MA2 starting auto-landing at 12% (albeit, just 200m from my position so no problem coming back), it did surprise me

Last edited:
I wasn’t very clear. I meant it’s more likely to run into the situation of the drone starting to land on its own with the MA2 than with the Mini, since 5% is not a battery level you should get at normally but when my MA2 starting auto-landing at 12% (albeit, just 200m from my position so no problem coming back), it did surprise me

I think you need to recalibrate your idea of when to bring the aircraft back. You leave no margin for error at all being in the air at 10%.

If you want your batteries to last a long time and not swell/puff up then by the time you land and power off the drone the battery level should be not less than 20-25 %

Reactions: Clinton1

IMO running batteries down to that level during flight is basically just asking for trouble. *Any* time your drone forcibly goes into an autonomous or semi-autonomous flight mode things are outside your control and you have been forcibly transitioned from a pilot to an observer. Factor in the fact that battery level indicators are far from exact and you have an added layer of uncertainty on the behaviour of your drone.

IMO running batteries down to that level during flight is basically just asking for trouble. *Any* time your drone forcibly goes into an autonomous or semi-autonomous flight mode things are outside your control and you have been forcibly transitioned from a pilot to an observer. Factor in the fact that battery level indicators are far from exact and you have an added layer of uncertainty on the behaviour of your drone.

Yeah, I don’t normally do that, I was just waiting for it to finish a hyperlapse and didn’t think there’s any danger to it since it was basically within 10 seconds of me. It did surprise me though when it said “landing”.

Man, I guess I am on the other end of the battery use spectrum...

My flights typically land with 30-40% battery left. I think there have been a handful were I landed with 20-25%. I typically try to avoid going into the extreme/sketchy zone (that zone depends on the pilot's opinion!) and never want to risk having a battery failure or autoland. Crazy for me to hear people going into the 10 and less %.

I agree fully with all said regarding establish bad, risky habits, leaving over to autonomous responses from the AC or damaging the batteries ... Thumbswayup

But apart of that, a big contributing factor in this incident came from lacking knowledge in several areas, RTH & unnecessary drain of the battery, not knowing enough about low battery landing and the enforced limitations in speeds & how to take control in flight. Panic or apathy is usually your worst enemy in critical or sudden situations & that is usually a result of lacking knowledge & bad planning ... several incidents here at the forum have been as a result of just that, a great number of those could have had another outcome if panic/apathy hadn't set in.

I usually give all newbies the advice to go out to a clean spot free of obstacles & test of every function, especially the autonomous ones ... low battery landing fit into this category. If the OP had tested this function off beforehand he had known the limit & that by applying full constant throttle & elevator the AC had ascended with 1m/s & received a heading speed of 5,5m/s ... & by doing that perhaps been able to save the AC.

My flight started with an odd battery firmware request. I had already used that battery a few times. I upgradedThe firmware but when I started flying I noticed my gimbal was not moving smoothly but stuttering. I brought it home and did a gimbal calibration. I flew it again and keeped it nearby within 500 feet. At 15 percent battery I tried bringing it home with return to home it started to slowly return to home but not at its normal speed. I pressed forward on the right stick to pickup speed when I got a landing warning. I turned off return to home and pushed up on the left stick to cancel the landing. That wasn’t working and my attempts to fly home with full throttle on the right stick wasn’t working either. The drone was moving very slowly and not responding to my controls. It finally came down into some trees breaking my gimbal. When it landed I still had 10% battery. I uploaded my telemetry and I will call DJI tomorrow if they are in. I think there was obviously something wrong with the drone. Do I have any chance of getting some help from DJI? I don’t have Care Refresh on this bird, only on my mini.

Let me tell you this. I purchased my mavic mini back in January and it crashed in March, 2020. It crashed during my vacation in Brazil. The drone was away from me and when I try to bring it back with a full battery charged, the gimbal lost control(received a message saying 'FORCED LANDING) with the drone and it landed on a busy street and subsequently crashed by a car. I had no care refresh nothing. What did I do? I called the DJI and explained that it was an equipment error and not the operator. Took 2 months for they to replace it with new ones. New controller, new drone. The best NO COST! So try to contact them. NOW IT IS A LITTLE FRUSTRATING PROCESS, BECAUSE ITS HARD TO GET HOLD ON QUICKLY RESPONSE FROM THEM DURING THIS CORONOVIRUS NOVEL. BUT EMAIL THEM CONSTANTLY SAYING THAT YOU ARE PISSED OFF WITH THAT AND WANTS A SOLUTION. CHAT WITH THEM ONLINE AND ASK FOR UPDATE. YOU NEED TO BE ANNOYING TO GET A QUICKLY ANSWER! GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on the initial Gimble issue ??? (and what might have caused it as I have a similar problem with the Mini!)

I’m no pro with the telemetry and data. But from what I understand is that you took off with 36% battery and you were doing a hyperlapse ?. I already see trouble brewing. At 1,026 ft, you had 20% battery, at 1,175 ft, you had 13% battery. This is when you initiated RTH, The drone increased altitude to 252.6ft (probably the RTH height), you were at a critically low battery level (10%) and autoland was initited.
Please feel free to correct me if my interpretation is incorrect.

I’m no pro with the telemetry and data. But from what I understand is that you took off with 36% battery and you were doing a hyperlapse ?. I already see trouble brewing. At 1,026 ft, you had 20% battery, at 1,175 ft, you had 13% battery. This is when you initiated RTH, The drone increased altitude to 252.6ft (probably the RTH height), you were at a critically low battery level (10%) and autoland was initited.
Post #6 already explained what happened .. your interpretation is right.

Reactions: Exotic Blacklist
Everything was correct except the hyperlapse. I wasn’t doing one of those, I was trying to do tracking. I had a very difficult time controlling the drone after auto land came on. I didn’t realize it came on with so much battery remaining. Now that I know I will not let it get that low in the future.

First of all, the Autoland % is height dependent ... but what seems to differ, at least between the Mini, the MA1 & MA2 is the lowest threshold %. Have placed the marker in below charts at 45m height ... note the difference between the models in the blue graph ... also note the lowest value for that graph near ground.

The Mini seems to have 5% (6% at 45m)
View attachment 102354

The MA1 seems to have 10% (11% at 45m)
View attachment 102355

And the MA2 also 10% (10% at 45m)
View attachment 102356
I thought you said the Mini
First of all, the Autoland % is height dependent ... but what seems to differ, at least between the Mini, the MA1 & MA2 is the lowest threshold %. Have placed the marker in below charts at 45m height ... note the difference between the models in the blue graph ... also note the lowest value for that graph near ground.

The Mini seems to have 5% (6% at 45m)
View attachment 102354

The MA1 seems to have 10% (11% at 45m)
View attachment 102355

And the MA2 also 10% (10% at 45m)
View attachment 102356
So your previous statement “The Mini uses exactly the same flight algorithms - it would have behaved the same in that situation” isn’t true? I would like to know because your original statement sort of insinuated I was lying.

I thought you said the Mini

So your previous statement “The Mini uses exactly the same flight algorithms - it would have behaved the same in that situation” isn’t true? I would like to know because your original statement sort of insinuated I was lying.
Sorry Slup I didn’t mean this for you.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom