DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

my mavic pro 2 (hasselblad) has Barrel distortion

I have another question , how would I set to 8 bit ?
it is a color set to 'none'.
i truly hate this age and time as all those **** millennials make youtubes with their faces no one wants to see :) and it is a royal pain to watch and listen to their attempts to explain things.
in old times :) it would be a wiki or a forum post with pictures - something you would archive and review, but, now it is all on those youtubes. i do not follow at it much, and, like, this one attempts to explain it a bit - i looked at 3 of them, briefly, and this seems to be covering it, somewhat.

the previous advice to reset all settings was correct - it should set all to 8 bit auto mode and it actually should work fine that way. try it.

I did make that correction on the settings and tomorrow when I get some daylight and maybe some dry weather we'll see what happens thank you very much.

For the photos you posted this seems like pretty typical distortion you get with a wide angle lens. It's easily straightened with the DJI lens profile correction build into editing programs like Lightroom.

I did make that correction on the settings and tomorrow when I get some daylight and maybe some dry weather we'll see what happens thank you very much.
so, i tried to get out and play with settings to produce a jpg with barrel distortion. it did not do it to me.

i would think it may be wort to try connecting your M2p to the DJI assistant app and do a 'refresh' of the latest firmware you have, to make sure it gets pushed correctly to all components. jpgs actually are expected to be autocorrected when photo is taken.
it overdoes it a bit - if you open up a DNG file corrected by photoshot and a JPG from the M2P - i can see that correction in the JPG is a bit too much compared to how raw converter did it. still, all my JPGs were produced by the drone correctly, with no barrel shown.

i presume a screenshot you had was a JPG, not a frozen frame from the mp4 video. so, try to do a full refresh of the firmware, and then do a reset of all camera settings.

Reactions: mereflyer
Don't worry yourself about it. All wide angle lenses have varying degrees of barrel distortion. No way around it. With my 16mm lens on a full frame DSLR it's very pronounced and I always have to be aware of what's on the edges of the frame (fat people get fatter). Sometimes it's desired as it creates drama with movement (shooting video moves or those warpy looking architectural close ups). But with the drone, most of the time, it's not desired. When you're shooting cityscapes and long landscape shots with a visible horizon line, it doesn't look good. It has to be fixed in post by correcting the warp (aka de-fishing). It's NOT a reason to avoid shooting in 4k as you have plenty of resolution to make the correction. Frankly, you could shoot 4k, crop to the middle and export 1080p essentially cropping out the warp. Even if you're delivering 4k, a modest warp correction won't degrade the image quality very much.

Don't worry yourself about it. All wide angle lenses have varying degrees of barrel distortion. No way around it. With my 16mm lens on a full frame DSLR it's very pronounced and I always have to be aware of what's on the edges of the frame (fat people get fatter). Sometimes it's desired as it creates drama with movement (shooting video moves or those warpy looking architectural close ups). But with the drone, most of the time, it's not desired. When you're shooting cityscapes and long landscape shots with a visible horizon line, it doesn't look good. It has to be fixed in post by correcting the warp (aka de-fishing). It's NOT a reason to avoid shooting in 4k as you have plenty of resolution to make the correction. Frankly, you could shoot 4k, crop to the middle and export 1080p essentially cropping out the warp. Even if you're delivering 4k, a modest warp correction won't degrade the image quality very much.

so, the deal here is - mavic is supposed to be fixing that distortion automatically when it generates the JPG file. mine, apparently, does it. and OP`s, apparently, does not. which is extremely odd.
he was showing JPGs, still photos, not videos. how and why it was not automatically corrected there, is a question. i could not reproduce it altering any options i had. but, may be i missed something,.

so, the deal here is - mavic is supposed to be fixing that distortion automatically when it generates the JPG file. mine, apparently, does it. and OP`s, apparently, does not. which is extremely odd.
he was showing JPGs, still photos, not videos. how and why it was not automatically corrected there, is a question. i could not reproduce it altering any options i had. but, may be i missed something,.
In reference to my mavic Pro 2 with the barrel distortion check these pictures out that I made when I went to the Florida Keys when I first got the Drone approximately 5 months ago there's no Barrel distortion..... I can't figure out what I was shooting is I've changed it all around today every way I know and I still have that distortionorg_09b9bf7f6a84815c_1544718390000.jpegorg_e3c1f50bea5e8240_1544717544000.jpegorg_1fd0dedc2f999423_1544717394000.jpegscreen_ab070651b2c65d83_1544643220000.jpeg

Use HQ mode and don't record in 4K. See the latest user manual ver 1.8 available on DJI's web site
You can record in HQ or full FOV in 4K just fine and still be in 8-bit. For 10-bit you need to switch to the H.265 codec and shoot in Dlog-M or HLG. I know that at least Dlog-M removes the built-in barrel distortion correction. Not sure whether HLG does or not.

You can record in HQ or full FOV in 4K just fine and still be in 8-bit. For 10-bit you need to switch to the H.265 codec and shoot in Dlog-M or HLG. I know that at least Dlog-M removes the built-in barrel distortion correction. Not sure whether HLG does or not.

10 bit HLG is like D-Log-M in that it does not correct for barrel distortion. If you are in any 10bit mode, the drone does not have the processing power to correct the barrel distortion. All other modes should have it corrected.

This is actually my biggest frustration right now because my editing program of choice, LumaFusion for the iPad Pro, does not have distortion correction yet. I believe I can still edit it in LF and then correct the distortion later in DaVinci without losing any quality, but I haven't tried yet.

Last edited:
10 bit HLG is like D-Log-M in that it does not correct for barrel distortion. If you are in any 10bit mode, the drone does not have the processing power to correct the barrel distortion. All other modes should have it corrected.

This is actually my biggest frustration right now because my editing program of choice, LumaFusion for the iPad Pro, does not have distortion correction yet. I believe I can still edit it in LF and then correct the distortion later in DaVinci without losing any quality, but I haven't tried yet.
I use LumaFusion sometimes, too, but nothing very advanced. I know it supports LUTs. Does DJI's LUT for D-Log-M include the automatic barrel distortion correction? If so, that might be work around.

I use LumaFusion sometimes, too, but nothing very advanced. I know it supports LUTs. Does DJI's LUT for D-Log-M include the automatic barrel distortion correction? If so, that might be work around.

I don't know if the DJI LUT does or not because I use the Film Poets LUT however LumaFusion is incapable of distortion correction at the moment, so regardless it wouldn't be able to. It is on their long list of requested features, but I don't know when they will get around to it (they are a small team).

I think the best workaround is to edit as normal in LumaFusion, and then just toss it into DaVinci Resolve when you get home or whatever and correct the distortion. Kind of annoying, but if we want to continue using LumaFusion it's either that or shoot in 8bit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying