DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

my mavic pro 2 (hasselblad) has Barrel distortion

wes93j

Reactions
I put my first post in the other day on this site about my mavic 2 Pro having Distortion problems. I've had it about 5 months and the barrel Distortion has gotten so bad I can't hardly use the shots. Someone on here asked me if it was showing up when I downloaded to the computer. Yes it is showing up on the computer. I sent an email to DJI and they asked me to send them some photographs of the problem , the serial number and the current firmware update. So I'm waiting to hear back from them I email them two nights ago I look for an answer around the first of the week possibly.

I put my first post in the other day on this site about my mavic 2 Pro having Distortion problems. I've had it about 5 months and the barrel Distortion has gotten so bad I can't hardly use the shots. Someone on here asked me if it was showing up when I downloaded to the computer. Yes it is showing up on the computer. I sent an email to DJI and they asked me to send them some photographs of the problem , the serial number and the current firmware update. So I'm waiting to hear back from them I email them two nights ago I look for an answer around the first of the week possibly.

Since you only have a 6 month warranty on the gimbal, I hope you get it taken care of before it expires.

Reactions: mereflyer
Since you only have a 6 month warranty on the gimbal, I hope you get it taken care of before it expires.
Thanks for letting me know that I did not have a clue there was a six-month warranty on the gimbal . Seem like that would all be covered under the care refresh plan that I purchased when I bought the Drone

Thanks for letting me know that I did not have a clue there was a six-month warranty on the gimbal . Seem like that would all be covered under the care refresh plan that I purchased when I bought the Drone

Yes, but you have to pay to have it repaired under Refresh. The problem you are having sounds like a warranty issue, thats why I was saying to let them fix it now while its still a free repair.

Yes, but you have to pay to have it repaired under Refresh. The problem you are having sounds like a warranty issue, thats why I was saying to let them fix it now while its still a free repair.
ok... thanks. I have had three drones in the past two and a half years and I've never had one with a problem like this. DJ I have all the info on it so we'll see what happens I'll keep you informed

is something like that a legit problem? what is an exact origin of a defect that can possible lead to an increase or, well, any deviation at all of a barrel distortion amount on a fixed lens that is still in focus?

is something like that a legit problem? what is an exact origin of a defect that can possible lead to an increase or, well, any deviation at all of a barrel distortion amount on a fixed lens that is still in focus?
it's really strange to me too. I have found out that other people have experienced the same issue and they're supposed to be at fix that you can do Post. But I just don't believe after paying what I paid for that drone 5 months ago that I need to do some kind of a fix they need to make it right

It seems like that it has progressively gotten worse as well I first noticed it about 3 to 4 weeks into having the Drone and thought it was normal but now it's way out of whack

it's really strange to me too. I have found out that other people have experienced the same issue and they're supposed to be at fix that you can do Post. But I just don't believe after paying what I paid for that drone 5 months ago that I need to do some kind of a fix they need to make it right

confusing, yes.
so, one thing to consider to OP - if you shoot photos - set it to capture RAW files, any decent raw file converter will use an embedded profile and automatically fix your lens distortion. i do not say you need to buy photoshop, but, there are other alternatives.

for video - if you shoot in the dlog-m mode, then you have 2 problems - first you need to run your video in the editor like DaVinci or Adobe Premiere to apply LUT profile to fix colors, and, you will get distortion. a distortion fix in video is a costly operation - takes long processing time on any platform - so i would suggest for beginning to switch video settings to HQ format where you will have about of 1% distortion - and in most real life scenarios it can be ignored. a FOV mode will have noticeable 2.5% distortion and that will have to be fixed on post-processing.

other solution - if you really dislike any postprocessing and do not care of 10bit color and aperture control - you can do same thing i did - buy a zoom gimbal for $252 at alibaba and swap out you hassel camera with it. then mavic cpu will do it all for you. for most hobbyist purposes zoom camera is more than adequate, and may be even better. definitely will be better if you want to use jpgs and mp4 right from the drone.

I appreciate that info so much I am fairly new to this as I bought my first drone approximately 2 years ago, but I have fell in love with it. I've got the control of the Drone down pretty good now I'm fairly decent pilot now I need to work on my photography skills which I say again I am new. I've never had video to come out when I shot in 4k. On my device when I play it back it's really wavy and jerky and also when I download it to my older Dell computer does the same thing. I'm getting a newer computer shortly

I appreciate that info so much I am fairly new to this as I bought my first drone approximately 2 years ago, but I have fell in love with it. I've got the control of the Drone down pretty good now I'm fairly decent pilot now I need to work on my photography skills which I say again I am new. I've never had video to come out when I shot in 4k. On my device when I play it back it's really wavy and jerky and also when I download it to my older Dell computer does the same thing. I'm getting a newer computer shortly

go to camera settings, and run a complete settings reset - bring all camera options and gimbal settings back to default. then, after powering up, try to move drone in your hand, make sure gimbal stays solid during smooth and then sharpier and sharpier hand movement - but to not shake nor smack it, of course.
there may be a lot of things that could have happened to gimbal and camera if it was in any crash before. but, to begin with, if vehicle is stationary and you initiate recording - does video come with same issues while motors are off? if so - it is one story.

if you start video when drone is not armed, then push take off button and then look at the video - is video corrupted only when drone gains altitude and stabilizes when it hovers? dunno, a lot of things maybe just a user error there and a lot of things may indeed be broken.

one thing i am quite sure of - if lens is in same place and whole image is still in focus - its distortion cannot be altered. not on this camera.

back to distortion issue

first of all - he shows there samples of how usual barrel looks like. set it to normal profile. it will use 8bit color and in that mode internal cpu in mavic will correct it. for dlog-m 10bit color - which is an absolute marvel to use - you will need to use post-processing to recover colors and apply a distortion fix. i bet you can simply use normal profile in HQ mode and live happily ever after. :)
more info on the post processing process is here:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/DLog M to Rec. 709 LUT User Guide.pdf

Thank you very much I will try that procedure that you gave me. It's never been in any kind of a crash I treat it like a baby ......haha

It seems like that it has progressively gotten worse as well I first noticed it about 3 to 4 weeks into having the Drone and thought it was normal but now it's way out of whack
can you post a sample pls? i am just curious. a wavy/distorted video thing, especially.

as a very idiotic thing that i have not noticed myself initially - have you removed a sticker tape from the very back of your camera? it gets stuck in between camera and gimbal at movements.

You can try to reset camera settings and see if gets you back to where it was when you first got it.

There is absolutely no reason to go out and buy a different gimbal if this one is not doing its job. Also, be careful where you but it from.

Well I don't have any 4K videos made I've just been shooting in 1080. The first three pictures were made within the last week and a half. Look at the flagpole beside the church. The last three were made in the Keys and they were made right after I bought the Drone approximately 5 months ago. The key pictures are pretty good not much Distortion I see...... but the recent ones are really getting badorg_f4374f0248d5de11_1548366372000.jpegscreen_74b63317532c43ee_1548368566000.jpegscreen_1c79b327c663c29d_1547676814000.jpegorg_09b9bf7f6a84815c_1544718390000.jpegorg_b5d9aa3f6537c1e1_1544718376000.jpegscreen_ab070651b2c65d83_1544643220000.jpeg

Oh no I have no intention of replacing the gimbal. I love the Drone it's just the Distortion I can't live with and they should fix that I expect them to I will let everybody know

ok, the photo of the road with a bended horizon shows normal 2.5% distortion you get on FOV videos - i frankly did not look much at JPGs it produces - but in raw files it gets corrected automatically. most youtube videos speak of fixing this distortion in videos.
look at those 2 links and search more. it is not a defect per se, it is a, well, an unpleasant feature.
DJI Releases Presets to Correct Barrel Distortion on the Mavic 2 Pro
How to Fix Barrel Distortion on DJI Mavic 2 Pro - Film Poets

again, for videos, just try switching to the HQ mode. use fastest SD card to avoid issues with recording. try to google around what photo settings may help you minimize post processing, i would think. i bought this drone to shoot in raw format to use its amazing dynamic range, so, i simply use different routine to avoid this issue.

i think i found you a link that explains what to do, and without a need to install paid software, i hope. again, the easiest way is to shoot DNG raw files, and a raw file converter should fix all distortions automatically for you.
Remove Barrel Fisheye Effect For Perfect Aerial Photos

Reactions: 747P4
Thank you very much my friend like I say I am a newbie with photography so a lot of the things you're saying our kind of flying over my head but I'm getting the guts of what you're talkin about here. I don't seem to be able to find normal mode. Will I see the setting for D log down a few spaces it says None what color is that what normal means??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan