DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My mavic pro platinum is getting further range than my new mavic 2 pro

Yes, I'm on FCC. I've just kept both the mavic pro platinum and the mavic 2 pro in auto. Not manual. Should I go to manual mode and choose the best Ghz?

It can't hurt! Besides, that will put any doubt to bed. I'm guessing you are up to date with firmware and app? You may want to try re linking the remote to the AC. Otherwise, I'd call DJI. Contrary to popular believe I've had very good results with DJI customer support.

Reactions: simonhpaton
In England I have noticed with my P4P that i get considerably less distance with 5.8 ghz than 2.4ghz. I would try your M2 with 2.4 ghz manual. Some people swear they get more distance with 5.8 , but Ive tested it many times, and I dont here, that said I have flown my M2Pro 1.5 kilometers away on a 5 kilometer flight over water at a height of 114 meters, and my power dropped off to 3 bars RC from the full 5. That was in CE mode, and given the distance I can get with the P4P I will probably get a dual band range extender for the M2PRO.

In England I have noticed with my P4P that i get considerably less distance with 5.8 ghz than 2.4ghz. I would try your M2 with 2.4 ghz manual. Some people swear they get more distance with 5.8 , but Ive tested it many times, and I dont here, that said I have flown my M2Pro 1.5 kilometers away on a 5 kilometer flight over water at a height of 114 meters, and my power dropped off to 3 bars RC from the full 5. That was in CE mode, and given the distance I can get with the P4P I will probably get a dual band range extender for the M2PRO.
Yes, in in built areas where bluetooth, wifi etc are using 2.4ghz, 5.8 will generally get you a longer distance. My mavic air in auto mode only got 400m. In manual mode 5.8 in in built areas got 1200m. I've sent my mavic 2 pro back because my mavic pro platinum got a further range 8 out of 10 times. Plus I was getting an error on my mavic 2 pro saying obstical avoidance is temporary disabled. Not sure if I'm best getting a replacement or mine repaired.
Thanks for your advice.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
I wonder if some of you are getting European models by mistake? Does your remote have an FCC ID? I wonder how you can tell the difference?
There is no "european model", DJI gear autoselects proper levels based on the location it's operated in. In Australia DJI sets them to European levels, which some have complained about as it seems FCC levels would be allowed.

There is no "european model", DJI gear autoselects proper levels based on the location it's operated in. In Australia DJI sets them to European levels, which some have complained about as it seems FCC levels would be allowed.

Potatoes poTAToes buddy.

That is not normal. I flew just over 16,000 feet one way last week.

Lower frequencies preform better over distance than the higher frequencies. However, if 2.4 Ghz is congested and causing interference, using 5.8 Ghz may indeed get you more distance but will not be able to provide the long range (3 to 6 miles) performance that the 2.4 band will be able to.

Also, as stated earlier, be sure your distance limiter is set correctly in your settings.

That is not normal. I flew just over 16,000 feet one way last week.

Lower frequencies preform better over distance than the higher frequencies. However, if 2.4 Ghz is congested and causing interference, using 5.8 Ghz may indeed get you more distance but will not be able to provide the long range (3 to 6 miles) performance that the 2.4 band will be able to.

Also, as stated earlier, be sure your distance limiter is set correctly in your settings.
Hmm.. that's troubling. Played with both 2.4 & 5.8 frequencies today. Got out to 1700 ft, altitude was taken up to 600ft and lost signal. I'm not is a dense Urban area either.

Checked my flight logs and the farthest I've gotten was 3300 ft before signal kicking out.

Is there something that I can do in the settings to fix it? I see a lot of folks getting well over 10,000 ft and I'm not sure where im falling short here

Hmm.. that's troubling. Played with both 2.4 & 5.8 frequencies today. Got out to 1700 ft, altitude was taken up to 600ft and lost signal. I'm not is a dense Urban area either.

Checked my flight logs and the farthest I've gotten was 3300 ft before signal kicking out.

Is there something that I can do in the settings to fix it? I see a lot of folks getting well over 10,000 ft and I'm not sure where im falling short here
Probably going to need to RMA it unfortunately, sounds defective.

I'm in Australia, so CE. This morning I flew past the city to a range of 3500m. I was down to 3 bars but could have easily pushed further. And this was in a sea of interference. If you're only getting a few hundred meters then something is very wrong with your unit.

I would contact DJI. Your range is very limited. Sounds like there is a problem with your unit. Sorry...

Hi mate could u please explain to us how u have your antenners in detail when going out for long dist test?

Unfortunately my mavic pro platinum is getting further range than my new mavic 2 pro. In the inner suburbs of Melbourne Australia, I've made multiple flights from my parents house in Toorak. I fly along the Yarra River. I've flown the same flight at the same time and conditions & everytime I'm getting a good 200 meters further than my new mavic 2 pro. My mavic pro platinum gets to the MCG stadium. While my mavic 2 pro doesn't reach the MCG stadium. ?? I assume the new mavic 2 pro with opti-sinc 2 that DJI states it has 1km extra range & better transmission, that the mavic 2 pro should at least get the same range. And should get further range than opti-sinc 1 from the mavic pro platinum. In my case, this isn't happening. I'm aware that some mavic airs only reach approximately 400 meters. The owners get a replacement & they are getting approximately 1200 meters in urban areas. Should I take the mavic 2 pro & ask for a replacement? Any suggestions / advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Yeah I’m not impressed with distance.

My antennae are at 90 degrees to the RC, in parallel

I seriously doubt that this is causing such decreased range for your bird but like the MP1, the manual shows the antennas parallel but only at the detent notch of 45 degrees to the RC, not 90. I presume this is because most folks would hold the RC at about 45 degrees in their hands and adding that to the suggested antenna tilt would be 90 degrees to the aircraft.

rc-antenna-position.jpg

I m in the same situation as you too. My mpp flies further than my mp2. My reception jump from full bar to nothing to full bar non stop, like stock market. I put my phone into aeroplane mode helps, then i use the fcc go 4 app then it became flyable. Before, 1 flight i get up to 4 disconnection on less than 1km distance.

However, after fcc boost, i did lost connection at 3km distance, it never got connected for 15 mins no matter what i do, after 15mins then got connected n the bird is just above me. Scary.

I thjnk the fluctuation is because of the duo band. I was about to return my bird then as was so frustrated flying a constant disconnnecting bird which is suppose to be better

Do you normally get to use 5.8Ghz? That's the difference and I could see it being a bigger problem for OS2 than OS1 because the new system relies on switching between the different signals to achieve the greater range. I wonder if some of you are getting European models by mistake? Does your remote have an FCC ID? I wonder how you can tell the difference?
Yes, it has FCC mode on the box

I m in the same situation as you too. My mpp flies further than my mp2. My reception jump from full bar to nothing to full bar non stop, like stock market. I put my phone into aeroplane mode helps, then i use the fcc go 4 app then it became flyable. Before, 1 flight i get up to 4 disconnection on less than 1km distance.

Howe
I'm in Australia
i am in singapore, probably more interference than australia

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sikiruikhun