DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic Was Shot Out of the Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
This has been discussed ad nauseam but:

(1) While flying over his house for an extended period of time is LEGAL, it is probably not the wisest move. So when the Mavic is shot out of the sky, it's difficult feel sympathy for the pilot who was flying it.

(2) While shooting the drone out of the sky is ILLEGAL, we can understand why he may have done that. Those who are more sympathetic may even say that his actions could be construed as reasonable. Even so, he should pay a criminal penalty, or a civil penalty, or both. Maybe not 20 years in prison (maximum criminal penalty), but 90 days in jail and $1000 restitution sounds fair.

Not this again! And I am sure you take it like a man when you get a parking or speeding ticket, but there again you probably never make a mistake!

I make mistakes like everyone else and when I do I take ownership of them. You are absolutely correct if I would get a parking ticket or speeding ticket I would most definitely "take it like a man." I can't even comprehend what you are suggesting is the proper response to getting a parking or speeding ticket....kick and scream like a child? If I was speeding or parked illegally and got a ticket, that is my fault not the police officers. That's the problem with our youth today, everything is someone else's fault. They expect everything to be handed to them not earned, and look out when they don't get their way. Where I work employees had to work on the 4th of July so the group of the younger employees (with less than 2 years service) complained that they just worked on Memorial Day so it should rotate and they pointed out other employees who didn't work on Memorial Day and made their case that it should be there turn this holiday. I explained that the employees they pointed out had 30+ years of service and they worked their share of holidays when they were in their position. The group of them stormed out saying I wasn't being fair. They just couldn't understand it no matter how I tried to explain it. They felt years of service should have nothing to do with it and an employee with 30+ years of service should have no more privilege than one with 1 year. They also thought, even though the union contract stated that on holidays you start at the bottom of the seniority list and work up until you have the number of needed employees, that they were being treated unfairly. Who ever told this generation that life had to be fair? You hover your drone over someone's property for 5 minutes and they shoot it down, you may not think that's fair, but you learned a valuable life lesson. Maybe that guy doesn't think it's fair that he has to live in a run down place like he does and have some guy fly a $1000 drone over what little he has invading his personal privacy, because his privacy is about all he has by the looks of his property. And all this talk of suing him....do any of you really what what he has? Hey I'll be happy to help him dump it on your front lawns if you really want it. The guy (pilot) made an error in judgement and paid the ultimate price. If it was me, I'd take ownership of my mistake and apologize to the man for my behavior and maybe even take him over a nice meal. I'd probably walk away feeling pretty good about myself, but that's just me, I guess I may have been brought up wrong. Maybe if my little league team would have gotten a trophy even though we came in last place I'd think differently.

This has been discussed ad nauseam but:

(1) While flying over his house for an extended period of time is LEGAL, it is probably not the wisest move. So when the Mavic is shot out of the sky, it's difficult feel sympathy for the pilot who was flying it.

(2) While shooting the drone out of the sky is ILLEGAL, we can understand why he may have done that. Those who are more sympathetic may even say that his actions could be construed as reasonable. Even so, he should pay a criminal penalty, or a civil penalty, or both. Maybe not 20 years in prison (maximum criminal penalty), but 90 days in jail and $1000 restitution sounds fair.

90 days in jail for plinking a toy with a BB gun. Wow, tough crowd. My neighbor's brother was killed by a drunk driver and the guy lost his license for 90 days, 30 days house arrest and 2 years supervised probation. Let's not gloss over the fact that can anyone really even see any convincing evidence that the guy did shoot down his drone? I watched the video and I just don't see it. I see some motion under a roof that is said to be the guy pumping a BB gun. Ok, I'll buy that on the surface, in a court room...... no I'll need more than that. Then we're sure he shot it down? I don't see that or any hard evidence of that whatsoever. They say "2 wrongs don't make a right", maybe so but it sometimes evens things out. It may not be illegal to sit on a beach taking photographs of some guys 12 year old daughter but if he walks over and smashes my camera it's pretty fair to say I got what I deserved. Be responsible in your flying even if you're within your legal rights and you will be doing your part in protecting the hobby. Sometimes legally and morally have to meet in the middle and we may have to give up a little of those rights to meet there.

90 days in jail for plinking a toy with a BB gun. Wow, tough crowd. My neighbor's brother was killed by a drunk driver and the guy lost his license for 90 days, 30 days house arrest and 2 years supervised probation. Let's not gloss over the fact that can anyone really even see any convincing evidence that the guy did shoot down his drone. I watched the video and I just don't see it. I see some motion under a roof that is said to be the guy pumping a BB gun. Ok, I'll buy that on the surface, in a court room...... no I'll need more than that. Then we're sure he shot it down? I don't see that or any hard evidence of that whatsoever. They say "2 wrongs don't make a right", maybe so but it sometimes evens things out. It may not be illegal to sit on a beach taking photographs of some guys 12 year old daughter but if he walks over and smashes my camera it's pretty fair to say I got what I deserved. Be responsible in your flying even if your within your legal rights and you will be doing your part in protecting the hobby. Sometimes legally and morally have to meet in the middle and we may have to give up a little of those rights to meet there.
Just because a drunk driver got off easy doesn't mean everyone else should either. If the law says X Y Z, then we should enforce it. Otherwise why even have laws? The guy, IF HE SHOT IT WITH A GUN, should absolutely spend time in jail. I don't really see the shooting either, but we are discussing this under the assumption that he did, and if he did, then he should pay the price. And if you don't like people hovering over your house, then change the laws.

And I don't buy legal and moral meeting in the middle. In your camera example, yeah, maybe the photographer deserved it. Even so, the father should absolutely pay for the camera.

Reactions: reckless
Just because a drunk driver got off easy doesn't mean everyone else should either. If the law says X Y Z, then we should enforce it. Otherwise why even have laws? The guy, IF HE SHOT IT WITH A GUN, should absolutely spend time in jail. I don't really see the shooting either, but we are discussing this under the assumption that he did, and if he did, then he should pay the price. And if you don't like people hovering over your house, then change the laws.

And I don't buy legal and moral meeting in the middle. In your camera example, yeah, maybe the photographer deserved it. Even so, the father should absolutely pay for the camera.

Agree. I don't get the immediate need (or support of) to resort to violence to resolve these types of issues or to call people "stupid" or "be a man". Maybe the guy on the beach was taking pictures of something else and the camera was pointed in that direction, like the OP could have been doing (only the OP knows the answer to that, but I am taking him at his word). Wouldn't a more reasoned approach be to verify before acting? Walk round to the guys house and ask him to stop, walk over to the guy on the beach and express concern and then take "appropriate" action if things do not change.

Agree. I don't get the immediate need (or support of) to resort to violence to resolve these types of issues or to call people "stupid" or "be a man". Maybe the guy on the beach was taking pictures of something else and the camera was pointed in that direction, like the OP could have been doing (only the OP knows the answer to that, but I am taking him at his word). Wouldn't a more reasoned approach be to verify before acting? Walk round to the guys house and ask him to stop, walk over to the guy on the beach and express concern and then take "appropriate" action if things do not change.
LOL.......

Well see that's sometimes the issue, our laws sometimes protect and gives people the "legal" right to do something immorally right and act like a moron and in those cases a good rap in the mouth is sometimes the best course of action. I guess if the he sues you to pay his dental bill he'd have that legal right. In the end he got your point. I suggest to anyone who wants to exercise their legal right to hover over someone's house for 5 minutes to look elsewhere for sympathy when they get their drone brought down illegally.

Sorry guys but this is going nowhere so just consider it
CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803