DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

my micro usb port on upper left rc is broken can i charge the rc with lower normal usb port??

i’m not sure about the mp2 but there is a video out there that shows how to replace that usb port and it looks very easy,my guess is that the same usb used on the mp1 is the same for mp2
There is a slight difference between the words repair and replace.
Correct me if I’m wrong. There are replacement boards available for the m1. There are no boards available for the m2.

If there is a facility out there that will “repair” said board, that would be something I would like to have a phone number for if someone has had that experience and successfully accomplished that task.
I do seem to remember reading somewhere, months ago, that there may have been a place in Europe that may have been doing repair of boards.
As I remember, by the time you allowed for shipping cost from the USA, it wasn’t very cost effective.

Anyone with some firsthand experience on the “repair” of this controller board, please chime in.

A buddy got one of the phone repair places to fix his cheap. Otherwise, I've heard DJI was reasonable in cost to repair. I've even heard of them doing it under warranty. Also, the magnetic cords are good, make sure you get the type that the magnet is in the cord, not the piece that goes into your controller. There have been reports of problems with that type. I literally painted a white dot on my cord and never had a problem in three years and hundreds of flights.

Reactions: mereflyer
I use a iPad mini 4 to fly with so I need a magnetic end to a Lightning connector preferable one about a foot or so long. Any leads as to where I might find one?

thxs
slkfis

I use a iPad mini 4 to fly with so I need a magnetic end to a Lightning connector preferable one about a foot or so long. Any leads as to where I might find one?

thxs
slkfis
I wouldn't use that port for flying to be honest.....it is already a "janky" easy to damage port and I just would not trust that I have always used the bottom port on the mavic remotes. I used to use that side port, until figuring out that cables tend to get loose and it just wasn't reliable (transmission cutouts/disconnected) the bottom port for me is just always the way to go and has done great.....anyway I would honestly just get a magnetic cable and keep that little magnet piece inside the remote. ....(the port where you charge, smaller port) and I would just strictly use that for charging. It's crazy to how DJI designed the charge port because technically it's not even an Android type usb 2.0 tybe b it's actually USB type A.... and why they use that I have no clue technically you can use the Android USB 2.0 type B, which is your standard Android charger you just have to be careful not to insert it backwards or forcefully insert it the correct way yes you heard that right.... you have to be very careful inserting it the correct way because of the shape. A lot of people who are new to flying drones probably have never even seen a USB type A and try to insert them backwards or forcefully and just trying to insert the plug in, in general. and this is how you get a messed up port. I myself have never had any problems with the port because I did a little research on why I had a square port and why it didn't look like an Android port LOL and this is what I found out.... so just relaying some of the information I found

Attachments

• 20190613_074918.jpg
    20190613_074918.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: slkfis
Thank you very much, now I understand what I need to do. I had thought about that before but some how got into feeble brain that I had to fly through the small port.

I will remedy that problem today.

slkfis

I wouldn't use that port for flying to be honest.....it is already a "janky" easy to damage port and I just would not trust that I have always used the bottom port on the mavic remotes. I used to use that side port, until figuring out that cables tend to get loose and it just wasn't reliable (transmission cutouts/disconnected) the bottom port for me is just always the way to go and has done great.....anyway I would honestly just get a magnetic cable and keep that little magnet piece inside the remote. ....(the port where you charge, smaller port) and I would just strictly use that for charging. It's crazy to how DJI designed the charge port because technically it's not even an Android type usb 2.0 tybe b it's actually USB type A.... and why they use that I have no clue technically you can use the Android USB 2.0 type B, which is your standard Android charger you just have to be careful not to insert it backwards or forcefully insert it the correct way yes you heard that right.... you have to be very careful inserting it the correct way because of the shape. A lot of people who are new to flying drones probably have never even seen a USB type A and try to insert them backwards or forcefully and just trying to insert the plug in, in general. and this is how you get a messed up port. I myself have never had any problems with the port because I did a little research on why I had a square port and why it didn't look like an Android port LOL and this is what I found out.... so just relaying some of the information I found
@Mike4884 - Just to give you the technical explanation ... It might appear that DJI are being 'difficult' by using a Micro-USB-A socket on the side of the controller - but - you need to consider the primary role the socket was designed for. That socket is a data 'source' that is designed to output data from a 'master' device, to a device acting as a client. Therefore, the 100% correct USB standard for this socket, is an 'A' type. The 'B' types are on the 'client' devices and used for charging or data transfer ... In our case, DJI has made the choice to make the Micro-USB-A port multi-function to allow us to charge through that port as well - and that's where the problems start! The Micro-USB-A type socket will take a Micro-USB-B type plug, but due to the offset nature of the connector 'tongue' in the socket, and the corresponding slot in the plugs ... pushing the plug in one way round is perfectly OK, while the opposite way round will break the tongue off and kill the socket!
I'd agree 100% about not using the side port for connecting your phone or tablet. I use the side port for charging only. Until recently, I used NetDot magnetic tip USB cables, and left the micro-USB tip connected to the side port of the controller, just clipping on the magnetic part when I wanted to charge it. That's a great idea because you then never get the plug causing any damage. However, in the last couple of months, I've noticed that I get a lot of stick error messages when I turn on the controller and connect to my Mavic. But, if I remove the NetDot tip from the controller, I don't get those errors. Although the major magnetic component is in the end of the cable, the small and separate tip becomes magnetic enough to disturb the Hall-Effect transducers in the RC controller sticks. I still use the NetDot cable to charge the controller, but leave the tip on the magnetic end, and use the green [power] LED to indicate which way round I should have the connector, so as I don't damage the socket.

Reactions: slkfis
I leave the short cable of the RC permanently connected ready for plug into phone. To charge I just use a USB-A-male to USB-C-female cable that plugs where the phone would go. Cost-effective and never need to unplug the RC end.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
How do those magnetic tips work and which one fits the MP charging port? There seems to be a lot of different ones out there.
Here is another option for the Magnetic Charge Cable. This is the one I use..

I leave the short cable of the RC permanently connected ready for plug into phone. To charge I just use a USB-A-male to USB-C-female cable that plugs where the phone would go. Cost-effective and never need to unplug the RC end.

Odd: "This message is awaiting moderator approval, and is invisible to normal visitors." -- what did I do wrong?

You can reach out to Thunderdrones, if it’s still broken he can probably fix it in no time and very cheap

Best Idea I've heard yet! Do you have a link to the adaptor cable you use? I am having a hard time finding one on Amazon

Best Idea I've heard yet! Do you have a link to the adaptor cable you use? I am having a hard time finding one on Amazon

The one I have is: CERRXIAN USB 3.0 A Male to Type C Female Adapter Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

An alternative approach is get a female-to-female adapter (USB-C and/or micro) to connect USB cable to the RC cable (depending on which cables you have/use for phone, etc.). e.g., Maxhood (2-Pack) USB C Type C Female to Female Coupler Adapter, Straight Tiny USB-C USB 3.1 Type-C Female to Female Coupler Adapter Connector for Laptop & Tablet & Mobile Phone (USB C F/F): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki