DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My MM range is rubbish compared to my MA. Whats going on?

Reactions
I think something is wrong with my MM. I barely get any distance out of it. Not even out of sight. My MA can go a lot further, in sact i can get almost the same distance out of my MA compared too MVP2.

I used a Samasung Note10 and CE to fly it. Any suggestions?

Depends where you are and what model. USA in FCC should see you okay range with 5.8ghz. elsewhere 2.4ghz should see you 1mile+. works great for me

Reactions: hashfly
I reckon a normal range for CE MM is about 1 Km before the video becomes jerky at times, also when using LOS. Going back and then full head you can make almost 2 Km without ever changing direction before the signal start to drop to worrying levels, not that bad.

I reckon a normal range for CE MM is about 1 Km before the video becomes jerky at times, also when using LOS. Going back and then full head you can make almost 2 Km without ever changing direction before the signal start to drop to worrying levels, not that bad.

bingo. far far far far far more than vlos!

Reactions: old man mavic
Sounds the perfect aircraft for keeping people legal then!

Seems almost as if he is doing something wrong when there are LOADS of people getting 1-2miles range out of these in CE locations. Many more suffering blow-aways when they couldn't see them etc.

I know from experience (Mavic Air) that the same models can have very different performance, I had my MA replaced and the replacement had terrible range compared to the original, I was fortunate enough to be able to demonstrate this using Airdata to the insurance company (repeat flights in same area), I was given a replacement which performed as well as the original. I’m getting 1300m (CE) with my MM before video get choppy, far more than my MA.

Never forget that the operating environment plays a huge role, and changes from minute to minute. My preferred flying environment in Cambridge could be counted on to be completely unpredictable.

Monitoring the WiFi environment with my laptop computer showed from 40 to 120 active wireless networks, with varying signal strengths. I was on top of a small hill and walking a few feet in any direction would cause the pattern to change. This describes only what was happening from the controller’t point of view. I have no idea what the drone was seeing.

3 different drones flown in this environment all had widely variable problems on different days, and the same day.

DJI is well aware of the problem, and has made a number of attempts to work around the problem - the basic WiFi, Lightbridge, and Ocusync. some work better than others, but all the methods are in the WiFi frequency range. Distances and multiple signals will always cause interference which will vary unpredictably. Thinking otherwise is a pipe dream, as it denies the physics of RD signals.

Reactions: Bernie707
Your member profile shows your location as both the US, UK, and Qat. If you bought it in the USA your controller should say FCC in small print on the back. It should also include the model number which you can reference in the user manual to confirm whether your controller is FCC or CE.. If you bought the FCC model I don’t know that’s affected when flying in the UK or Qat. I’m sure someone here will tell us. Lots of help available in this forum. I wish you success. Flying in open areas with less WiFi interference helps improve range.

Also, if you have a USA model and you're flying in the UK do the fake GPS hack as you'll get full USA power in the UK vs our increased power using the hack.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman