DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My neighbor keeps calling the police

Status
Not open for further replies.
there’s a lot of other sections that have similar issues as well.

Yep item E. But you seem to have found a completely different document.

the police gave me something different. Completely different. It looks like some screen print out from their PO system Log or something.

And the one I found was from 2016 from the city council. That’s the one I showed the PO when they showed up the first time. That document doesn’t mention the 60 ft restriction on the overhead wires. The police document does
The police document was more detailed than yours and it appears theirs is the most recent update. It had a few more code #’s

thats the facts. Hopefully We all learned something from this experience.

skywatch was right as soon as the PO showed up on the last visit I had already lost.

PS
It appears that the PO don’t have complete knowledge (like me) on all the current rules. If they did, this would have stopped on their first visit to my house.

I don’t call the PO unless the neighbor across the street beats his wife out on the street! blue life's matter, and I appreciate their service.

until next time

Reactions: AMann and dirkclod
Yep item E. But you seem to have found a completely different document.

the police gave me something different. Completely different. It looks like some screen print out from their PO system Log or something.

And the one I found was from 2016 from the city council. That’s the one I showed the PO when they showed up the first time. That document doesn’t mention the 60 ft restriction on the overhead wires. The police document does
The police document was more detailed than yours and it appears theirs is the most recent update. It had a few more code #’s

thats the facts. Hopefully We all learned something from this experience.

skywatch was right as soon as the PO showed up on the last visit I had already lost.

PS
It appears that the PO don’t have complete knowledge (like me) on all the current rules. If they did, this would have stopped on their first visit to my house.

I don’t call the PO unless the neighbor across the street beats his wife out on the street! blue life's matter, and I appreciate their service.

until next time

well, currently it is not legal for municipalities to make rules regarding airspace, that is expressly an FAA jurisdiction, so you really could win fighting this in court. There’s another case right now regarding this it is covered on a different thread here. But like you said, it is not worth it fighting the police and city, as well as your neighbor over this. Also it could end up really bad, publicly, for drones as the news may take a bad turn on it.

Edit: Also for anyone reading this, it’s another example of what might happen if Senator Lee’s 200 foot airspace restriction bill becomes law, please get involved with that one - it is very important!

Reactions: Lbesing
I totally agree with the three above. I guess I was writing as you were posting and I missed it.
Yes the city can’t regulate airspace. That’s the FAA. I need to find the backup document on that so I can go to the city council and present it. But do I really want to open that can of worms?

Look I get the safety issues of flying over wires, homes, streets and all that. Maybe it’s not the best idea. But helicopters regularly fly from NBC/ Burbank Studios pad. That’s literally less that 3/4 mile away. I hear them every morning at 3 am. They fly over the neighborhood and no one is concerned about them? They have way better cameras than my M2Z.

whatever. I’m over it.

Can you please repost that here quickly so we can all see it again. I think that’s important and I want to at leSt send an e-mail to lee

I totally agree with the three above. I guess I was writing as you were posting and I missed it.
Yes the city can’t regulate airspace. That’s the FAA. I need to find the backup document on that so I can go to the city council and present it. But do I really want to open that can of worms?

Look I get the safety issues of flying over wires, homes, streets and all that. Maybe it’s not the best idea. But helicopters regularly fly from NBC/ Burbank Studios pad. That’s literally less that 3/4 mile away. I hear them every morning at 3 am. They fly over the neighborhood and no one is concerned about them? They have way better cameras than my M2Z.

whatever. I’m over it.

You're not going to win any battles comparing certificated aircraft being flown by highly trained and physically tested pilots. That's comparing apples to mudholes and it serves no purpose.

Well, if it passes it could be a big one affecting all of is in the US. If you don’t like it, please contact your representatives as soon as possible. Also, forward the link for Rep. Lee’s Bill to as many other drone and RC plane websites and pilots as you can, get them involved also.

Reactions: SkyDogII
Thanks Amann

Appreciate that

everyone get involved now

Your neighbor is the problem but it’s not going to go away. There are people like that everywhere. Big city’s and small. Maybe you could get him interested in drones. I know that a long shot but it’s worth a try.

I was confronted by an elderly lady a year or so ago. She came out all guns blazing. I let her discharge all her ammo then showed her the footage, explained they don’t have zoom lenses (back then). And asked her if she had a computer. She said “yes to talk to my grandchildren”. So I told her I would like to show her something interesting and she agreed. We ended up drinking coffee and eating biscuits in the garden while she looked at google maps. She was really uncomfortable & shocked, and probably quite rightly, that you could make out her chairs, laundry etc.
We are now friends.
Moral of the story, communication and education is key.

This has been a very interesting thread, I've learned a lot.

Where I live it is legally difficult to fly from my property. I can do it, but it means going straight up, not moving, coming straight down every time a car came past. Not much fun.

For practice and fun I fly in local parks. I'm lucky to live in a part of the city where the local council park regs still permit this (plenty do not). Having said that, it's only a matter of time before someone accosts me at one of the parks I use. Drones have a *terrible* reputation here. From the users I've seen here, it's for good reason. I've seen flights here that just defy belief and every time I see one I think "this is why I've got restrictions up the yinyang.... thanks a lot".

I tend to "rotate" which parks I use and never use the same one twice in a row (there are plenty within a few minutes of me). Any time someone looks at me I smile and wave. If they approach I say hi. If they engage I offer to let them take a look at the screen and see what I'm doing or send them a photo of their dog or whatever. Last time out I exercised someone's dog around a running track for them (chasing the drone). People have been great so far, but it's only a matter of time before I get someone grumpy. Drone reputation here is so terrible that I go to absurd lengths, but it's the only way to stop things from getting worse.

As for local jurisdictions getting control of airspace below a certain height.... I have never seen that mentioned here. But I very much doubt the googles and amazons of the world are going to allow airspace jurisdiction to become fragmented.

One point about whining about the restrictions placed on us (and I whine about it all the time too), as a full sized aircraft licence holder (as I am sure plenty others here are), if you think drone regulations are onerous, try getting clearances to fly a light aircraft anywhere you like in a big city at low level "because you'd like to take some photos".

A fun final point - I recently attended a thing DJI run here, called "New Pilot Experience", enjoyed it, learned a thing or three. They used a bunch of presumably offical DJI audio/visual assets. Nearly every one showed a flight that would be illegal here.

Reactions: AMann
Reminds me when I had my first drone, a $30 job from Amazon with no camera, it had something like a 100 foot range. I was flying it at a local park and some meathead comes storming up to me yelling at me that I was peeping into his daughters bedroom window. I laughed and told him "Cool story bro" after he told me where his house was, 1/4 mile away. He said he was going to call the cops and sue me, when I offered to save him the hassle and call the cops for him, he stormed off never to be heard from again.

Some people have nothing better to do, sounds like your neighbor. Call a lawyer, save your flight logs and file a formal complaint against him in court.
Had some old witch accuse me of taking photos of her. I explained to her in the most diplomatic way that there were a billion better things to take pictures of on this planet, and she shouldn't think that I'd waste my time and disk space on people like her. Never heard back from her since.

Reactions: Blitzkrieg
Had some old witch accuse me of taking photos of her. I explained to her in the most diplomatic way that there were a billion better things to take pictures of on this planet, and she shouldn't think that I'd waste my time and disk space on people like her. Never heard back from her since.
Yeah being rude back is very diplomatic of you .
Thanks for sharing that.

dirkclod ? ? ? . . . aw man! My side hurts!!!

Reactions: dirkclod
There’s a couple more logs in the fire.
And the winner was...

But really, the poor guy never had a chance l- OP lives in a town where their PD acts as the drone czars- check out their municipal drone laws:

So much for letting the PD condone flight in their city. They, like so many other agencies, are convinced they control the skies. I thought it funny to read "City airspace". What the heck is that? I also read 333, so it's outdated. Probably why the OP got a different set of rules. I almost guarantee the power company isn't using 60' line clearance as a rule (unless the city owns the power company). Maybe some drone lawyer might want to take on the city but to me it's just not worth it over possibly loosing your equipment... even if it's returned to you quickly. Being the AMA rules state "I will avoid flying directly over unprotected people, moving vehicles, and occupied structures" perhaps they are suggesting that is a FAA rule? I sure would like to see some concrete recreational airspace laws (issued by the FAA) that are easy to interpret by federal, state and local agencies stating what they can really control/enforce. Myself I've yet to fly in a populated environment. My rule is if my MP is in the air and falls out of the sky, I'm OK unless it can hit people vehicles or homes. Just why I avoid places like cities.

Reactions: AMann
Tell your neighbor to pound sand, that you're withing your rights and following the rules. You can threaten to file harassment charges against him. If you don't exercise your rights you'll lose them.

Reactions: Drgnfli and strdr
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman