DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My new drone: Mavic Air Onyx Black

fredcoque

Reactions
Hi,

I bought a Mavic Air Fly More Combo (it's still unboxed) and 3 x 32GB Sandisk Extreme MicroSDXC cards a couple days ago and thought that with that I was good to start flying.

As most people here, I started researching and asking myself questions and ended up realizing I still need to buy a bunch of non cheap items to get a better experience.

One of these items is a proper dedicated device to run DJI GO 4, not to have to use my phone for the reasons everybody already knows (calls, notifications, etc).

I've read some posts here and watched some youtube videos and it seems that there is no obvious choice for that device and none of the "safe" options is affordable.

I even thought about a pre-owned or refurbished device, but since that is such a critical piece of the flying solution I believe that it deserves to be brand new (just to reduce risks while flying).

Another point is that if you go with a big tablet you'll need a tablet holder, which will be more money spent, and your remote control solution will be bulk, while if you go with a small one you might be able to fit that directly into the controller.

People also talk a lot about iOS vs Android and how the first OS seems to be more stable in terms of performance considering that there aren't iOS flavors like there are with Android.

Based on all information collected, it seems that both iPad Mini 4 and iPad Mini 5 are good devices for me and I'll probably go with the version 5 of that.

My question besides if that is a good choice is: would the Wifi version with 64GB be good enough to comfortably and safely fly my Mavic Air?

Thanks,

Fred

Reactions: NAVMAV
Yes.

However, to mitigate risk of RF swamping and app, glitches etc you should fly in airplane mode anyway, in which case you will not get notifications/calls etc so problem solved.

Yes.

However, to mitigate risk of RF swamping and app, glitches etc you should fly in airplane mode anyway, in which case you will not get notifications/calls etc so problem solved.
Thanks - learn something new everyday - will be in airplane mode from now on!

Yes.

Interesting regarding RF swamping. Maybe that's my problem. Most every time I lean over to turn the AC off after a flight, I get a message on GO 4 regarding strong signal interference, be careful and all that. I thought it was a result of a jkson5 mod. Could it be because I'm not in airplane mode on my mini 5?

I think that the strong aircraft interference is what the aircraft is experiencing. So that's independent of you running in airplane mode. Where airplane mode comes in is in reducing interference with the download from the aircraft

My question besides if that is a good choice is: would the Wifi version with 64GB be good enough to comfortably and safely fly my Mavic Air?
It's good enough but not as good as the cellular version which has GPS.

GPS is needed for follow me and updating your home point - maybe more. Having cellular also means you can unlock Geo Zones, etv from the app, without using a hotspot.

It's good enough but not as good as the cellular version which has GPS.

GPS is needed for follow me and updating your home point - maybe more. Having cellular also means you can unlock Geo Zones, etv from the app, without using a hotspot.

Holly smoke...
I'm back to where I was before, don't know what to buy again.
That version is much more expensive.

Last edited:
Is there a difference between Spark and MAVIC Air batteries?

Hi Fredcoque:

Consider this Plan of Attack for 'Starters'?

We have - from Get-Go in August, 2018 - flown an Air, with a Mini I-Pad 4 attached easily in the Controller's arms.

We didn't bother adding upgrades, or any additional accessories. We grab the rig, and FLY. No problems, no nuthin, Hunny.

We just Fly. And learn more about what to do every Flight.

Sorry! One cheap add-on: Leg Extenders to avoid messing with long grass.

All in all, a VERY satisfying first Year, aside from Upgrade Urges - 'Two Footitis!~

Rgds, NAVMAV

Start flying it with what you have, you will find out what else you need as you go along. Don't rely on people's recommendation as to what you must have. And no, you don't need a dedicated phone tablet; it is nice if you can afford one but it is not a must. I use my everyday phone (a first generation Pixel at that) with no issues. Like what others said, just put it in Airplane mode when you fly.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hi,

I bought a Mavic Air Fly More Combo (it's still unboxed) and 3 x 32GB Sandisk Extreme MicroSDXC cards a couple days ago and thought that with that I was good to start flying.

As most people here, I started researching and asking myself questions and ended up realizing I still need to buy a bunch of non cheap items to get a better experience.

One of these items is a proper dedicated device to run DJI GO 4, not to have to use my phone for the reasons everybody already knows (calls, notifications, etc).

I've read some posts here and watched some youtube videos and it seems that there is no obvious choice for that device and none of the "safe" options is affordable.

I even thought about a pre-owned or refurbished device, but since that is such a critical piece of the flying solution I believe that it deserves to be brand new (just to reduce risks while flying).

Another point is that if you go with a big tablet you'll need a tablet holder, which will be more money spent, and your remote control solution will be bulk, while if you go with a small one you might be able to fit that directly into the controller.

People also talk a lot about iOS vs Android and how the first OS seems to be more stable in terms of performance considering that there aren't iOS flavors like there are with Android.

Based on all information collected, it seems that both iPad Mini 4 and iPad Mini 5 are good devices for me and I'll probably go with the version 5 of that.

Thanks,

Fred
Linked my MA to a used I Pad Mini 4 a couple of days ago, it works extremely will only whis I did it months ago.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive