DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My new Mavic 2 zoom just fell out of the sky

nilomiclat

Reactions
I was flying my new Mavic 2 Zoom last Sunday and it just fell out of the sky without any warning. I was testing the auto track feature and set it to follow my family's car. As soon as they turned into the corner and stop at the intersection I just saw the drone just plummeting down. I didn’t think it hit anything, as you can see on the video it stopped recording just right when the car stopped and there is no obstacle around it. Besides it would have given me a warning. I was flying way above houses and light posts and there's no tall trees around my neighborhood. I could not believe my eyes, I just run and retrieved it in the middle of the road. The battery was ejected with the impact and found it not too far from the drone. I was more concern if it hit anything below but I always make sure I fly it very early when there's not a lot of people out in my neighborhood.The battery was still above 60 percent. I just came back from vacation in Brazil and I flew it in Rio without any issue. I just got it few days before I left for my vacation last Sept 19. I sent an email to DJI since online support is closed on the weekends, hopefully I hear back from them soon. I'm a bit disappointed because I sold my Mavic Pro to upgrade to Mavic 2 Zoom. I never had an issue with my previous one and this is supposed to be much safer so I did not purchase the DjI Refresh Care package.

I was trying to attach the video but I'm getting the message " the video is not in the allowed format". Any idea how to fix this so I can share the video.

I still haven’t heard from DJI support since I sent an email 2 days ago

Last edited:
I am interested to know why your M2Z fell. Please share your flight log so ppl who know how to read it can give us an idea why it fell.

Can you please let me know where to locate the log. There are several sub folders under the DJI folder on my mobile phone. What is the file extension?

What monitor device are you using? Like Samsung or iPad?

I was flying my new Mavic 2 Zoom last Sunday and it just fell out of the sky without any warning. I was testing the auto track feature and set it to follow my family's car. As soon as they turned into the corner and stop at the intersection I just saw the drone just plummeting down. I didn’t think it hit anything, as you can see on the video it stopped recording just right when the car stopped and there is no obstacle around it. Besides it would have given me a warning. I was flying way above houses and light posts and there's no tall trees around my neighborhood. I could not believe my eyes, I just run and retrieved it in the middle of the road. The battery was ejected with the impact and found it not too far from the drone. I was more concern if it hit anything below but I always make sure I fly it very early when there's not a lot of people out in my neighborhood.The battery was still above 60 percent. I just came back from vacation in Brazil and I flew it in Rio without any issue. I just got it few days before I left for my vacation last Sept 19. I sent an email to DJI since online support is closed on the weekends, hopefully I hear back from them soon. I'm a bit disappointed because I sold my Mavic Pro to upgrade to Mavic 2 Zoom. I never had an issue with my previous one and this is supposed to be much safer so I did not purchase the DjI Refresh Care package.

I was trying to attach the video but I'm getting the message " the video is not in the allowed format". Any idea how to fix this so I can share the video.

I still haven’t heard from DJI support since I sent an email 2 days ago[/QUO
What monitor device are you using? Like Samsung or iPad?
I’m using my Samsung S9+

UPDATE: I heard back from DJI Support and they asked me to send my M2Z. They said they will look at it but I don’t think they can repair it. It has a big crack and tried with the other battery and it’s totally dead. I hope they will just replace it with a new one but they told me depending on the findings. I told them I’m not even manually controlling it when it crashed. It is in Active Track mode and it just died in mid air and crashed. I did not purchase a Refresh Care plan since I never had an issue with my Mavic Pro and not a single crash.

Here is my flight log before it crashed. It was on Active Track mode

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2018-10-07_[10-36-52].txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
This looks like another sudden M2 shutdown. There are no significant power issues prior to the end of the log:

cells.png

One cell, #4, is around 0.02 V low, but that's not going to have caused this incident. I've seen enough of these now to conclude that there is some kind of M2-specific issue that needs to be addressed. Whether it is hardware or software is impossible to say. There do not seem to be any common features (flight mode, condition etc.) to these incidents other than the M2 shuts down without warning.

Thanks for all the input. I was able to open the flight log in the flight log viewer. It is my first time reading a flight log but as much as I don't know what all the data means I don't see anything wrong or any warning message before it crashed. I'm really concern about this even if I get a replacement. I hope DJI can figure out what's wrong. I've seen quite few similar incident already in this forum. I had a Mavic Pro before getting the M2Z and I never had any issues with it.

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
It is true that all DJI a/c can drop suddenly while in the air.
I flew my Standard 3 and it dropped [plunged] into the trees. I had to pay to get back my a/c.
Now I have a Mavic Pro and i dare not fly long and far. I just pray that it won't drop dead in flight.

Reactions: atis
Thanks for all the input. I was able to open the flight log in the flight log viewer. It is my first time reading a flight log but as much as I don't know what all the data means I don't see anything wrong or any warning message before it crashed. I'm really concern about this even if I get a replacement. I hope DJI can figure out what's wrong. I've seen quite few similar incident already in this forum. I had a Mavic Pro before getting the M2Z and I never had any issues with it.

Sorry to hear about your issue. I heard about this from the grapevine. Did you know briefly before the aircraft went down it entered a Private Airport Zone?

Btw, this is also the 1st time I have posted here since July 2017. Also, the .DAT flight log is the file that is needed for better detail resolution. That process consists of downloading the file from the aircraft using the DJI Assistant 2 program.

Best of luck to you in getting this resolved.

-Frank

Sorry to hear about your issue. I heard about this from the grapevine. Did you know briefly before the aircraft went down it entered a Private Airport Zone?

Btw, this is also the 1st time I have posted here since July 2017. Also, the .DAT flight log is the file that is needed for better detail resolution. That process consists of downloading the file from the aircraft using the DJI Assistant 2 program.

Best of luck to you in getting this resolved.

-Frank

The Mavic 2 aircraft DAT files are currently unreadable - DJI has encrypted them as they did with the Mavic Air.

The Mavic 2 aircraft DAT files are currently unreadable - DJI has encrypted them as they did with the Mavic Air.

Thank you Frank. No, I’m not even close to an airport. And even if it enters a red zone it would normally give you a warning and not just shut down like that. I was flying it in Brazil a week earlier while hiking up in the mountain and I did not have any issue. The drone is totally dead now. I tried putting my spare battery but it won’t power up. I am preparing to ship it back to DJI. Hopefully they have an explanation to these incidents.

About to buy a MP2 but always holding up each time I read one of those issues about the drone falling from the sky without any reason :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929