DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My old brain

OMG A.O. (as if this can be blamed on you!?)

How did innocent drone thread turn into a drooling codger hangout?

For me I need something attached to the gimbal which 'dangles' below the drone or attaches to say one of the arms in the folded position making it impossible to unfold with the gimbal in place or making it unmissable ?
Yep, I need a dangler too!

I totally agree with the point in your second paragraph, so much so that I may have been in denIal of aging (66 yr young next month). I wonder who the eff is looking back at me from the mirror!

i haven’t (yet) launched with cover on, but I have turned drone on before removing cover. That’s bed enough; I got “gimbal motor overheating” message the last time.
Yeah, I've ever launched with it on either, set it down to launch with it on a couple times but I always get a warning "gimbal is locked" or some such thing.

OMG A.O. (as if this can be blamed on you!?)

How did innocent drone thread turn into a drooling codger hangout?
OH NO!! Not my fault!! but as they say... birds of a feather....

And WHO the heck is drooling!

So my memory just isn't what it used to be and EVERY time I go to fly (or almost every time anyway) I forget to remove the gimbal cover on my drone.. drives me crazy! (yeah, I know, short drive) . So someone on here said they put a ribbon or something on their cover to remind them. So I just went through the high tech process of installing a reminding ribbon device on my drone... hope it works! ? ?

View attachment 119402
I heard that. I use the red "Remove Before Flight" stickers from amazon. they barely stick so they don't adhere that well as it is. I put that on top of my drone so when I open the case, that's the first thing I see in bright red.

sidenote, for my M2 Zoom I bought a red sweat band from amazon that says remove before flight that lays across the top of my drone in its case.

Just what I use. :)

I've flown my drone a couple times since this modification and it works just perfect, and for free!!

I don’t trust my brain. I just use a pre-flight checklist. If it’s the standard for full scale pilots, it’s good enough for me. Never fails!

Reactions: anotherlab
I'm 68 and have never launched with the gimbal cover on. I got close a couple of times but always caught it. Most people, either youngsters or more mature individuals, have done the same, I would respectfully suggest.

BTW, worrying about getting old is a sure fire way to accelerate the (so-called) aging process. Just quit worrying about it, get out and live like you always have. And don't take any s*** from whippersnappers, or old farts like me either for that matter.

Well said..... [emoji106]

Aging has become a pejorative term in this day and age. Whatever, it doesn't bother me and never will

Zoom forward 50 years and the 20-somethings of today will be confronted with the exact same challenges. That's life. It's just noise, and totally normal down through thousands of generations. Man, if I suddenly became 21 again I'd wish I were 68 again.

My advice to us older guys and gals would be this. Always respect yourselves, and don't apologize for your greater experience. And at the same time, don't put up with too much immature cr@p either.

If I suddenly became 21 again.... I promise you that I would not wish I was 68... if you have some kind of time machine.. I will prove it to you...[emoji41]

• Haha
Reactions: rehkram and A.O.
lol I sometimes forget to either put on the cover or take it off [emoji23][emoji106]
Silly old me a man in his 50’s
Hopefully the ribbon will help remind you to take it off next time. Blessings and merry Christmas everyone

So my memory just isn't what it used to be and EVERY time I go to fly (or almost every time anyway) I forget to remove the gimbal cover on my drone.. drives me crazy! (yeah, I know, short drive) . So someone on here said they put a ribbon or something on their cover to remind them. So I just went through the high tech process of installing a reminding ribbon device on my drone... hope it works! ? ?

View attachment 119402
Good move. Is use habit. Always turn the drone onto its back to open the rotor arms and take the cover off then.

I also go for the two wheeled thrills. Have a top box so taking the drone is a great opportunity to combine hobbies.

Nice colour scheme btw

they barely stick so they don't adhere that well as it is. I
I was wondering if a small hole could be CAREFULLY drilled (slowly to prevent cracking) on the gimbal cover in a place which will not cause fouling the drone or gimbal would allow permanent attachment of a 'remove before flight' tag.
Just a thought.

gimbal cover.jpg

Attachments

• gimbal cover.jpg
    gimbal cover.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 5
Good move. Is use habit. Always turn the drone onto its back to open the rotor arms and take the cover off then.

I also go for the two wheeled thrills. Have a top box so taking the drone is a great opportunity to combine hobbies.

Nice colour scheme btw
So by "top box" are you referring to what we here call a tour pack?

And thanks.

I was wondering if a small hole could be CAREFULLY drilled (slowly to prevent cracking) on the gimbal cover in a place which will not cause fouling the drone or gimbal would allow permanent attachment of a 'remove before flight' tag.
Just a thought.

View attachment 119813
I don't see why not.

Just a thought.

View attachment 119813
If you are worried about cracking the cover, you could glue a small d-ring to the outside.

Just a thought.

View attachment 119813
Why not put a small sticker on the controller. Perhaps one of these Domo Letratags with “check gimbal before start up” I have seen similar signs in aircraft. Or a check list on a small board with all the key pre startup and preflight checks. Or the letters CG on the battery packs by the power button.

Why not put a small sticker on the controller. Perhaps one of these Domo Letratags with “check gimbal before start up” I have seen similar signs in aircraft. Or a check list on a small board with all the key pre startup and preflight checks. Or the letters CG on the battery packs by the power button.
Lots of things you could do, to each thier own I guess..

Reactions: Flynz

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329