DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My SRC Lanyard setup

Been a while since I’ve had the DX 9 in my hand and it did work well.

The gpc item i think is a good solution, with the exception of the single point of connection. There’s another one somewhere that I’ve seen that looks a bit like the one I made a few months ago that has two connection points. I think it just depends on how you’re carting the controller around to figure out what system works best for you.View attachment 68548

I definitely prefer the two points of connection. Your screws were perfect and I got in at the right time (g). As I wrote elsewhere, a single point of connection allows the controller to rotate too freely allowing the screen to turn inward if you bend down to futz with the drone or the landing pad or something else on the ground. Two points and it hangs nicely but does not rotate. I prefer free hands which is one reason I went with headlamps years ago before they were a "thing!" Climbing Mt Rainier with a flashlight in your hand or in your mouth just did not cut it. (g)

Oh, you have your own electric bill. How very interesting.

Reactions: RogerMav
She usually doesn’t pay any attention to them. The last one caught her eye and I got put in the corner for a few days.

Reactions: ff22
Totally agree with you, I also believe that the two points allows for a more stable use.
I definitely prefer the two points of connection. Your screws were perfect and I got in at the right time (g). As I wrote elsewhere, a single point of connection allows the controller to rotate too freely allowing the screen to turn inward if you bend down to futz with the drone or the landing pad or something else on the ground. Two points and it hangs nicely but does not rotate. I prefer free hands which is one reason I went with headlamps years ago before they were a "thing!" Climbing Mt Rainier with a flashlight in your hand or in your mouth just did not cut it. (g)

Oh, you have your own electric bill. How very interesting.

so why does everybody think this is a good setup? it sucks because it's Not balanced!
some people just don't get it!
Balance was never a thought in doing what was done. Picking up a damaged controller after it slipped out of my hands was the primary concern. The basic design of the controller doesn’t lend itself to attaching a harness for the purpose of balancing. We’re just working with what DJI handed us.

how can it be sweet if it serves no function while holding it in your hands? not being balanced is a big NO NO!!
I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean that the controller would be "hanging" in a position where it is always visible, kind of like on a table in front of you? That would require quite a harness setup with articulating arms and joints.

For me, the lanyard is a way to keep my hands free while futzing with drone positioning, arranging the landing pad. Pointing to the drone to passersby without having to find a safe place to the the controller down.

I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean that the controller would be "hanging" in a position where it is always visible, kind of like on a table in front of you? That would require quite a harness setup with articulating arms and joints.

For me, the lanyard is a way to keep my hands free while futzing with drone positioning, arranging the landing pad. Pointing to the drone to passersby without having to find a safe place to the the controller down.

i know... that's all it's for.... not a true Layard that has been used for years on RC Transmitters.

Balance was never a thought in doing what was done. Picking up a damaged controller after it slipped out of my hands was the primary concern. The basic design of the controller doesn’t lend itself to attaching a harness for the purpose of balancing. We’re just working with what DJI handed us.

there must be a way with brackets like they do with tablet mounts! i would get one myself.

Totally agree with you, I also believe that the two points allows for a more stable use.

I guess it is just a preference. Easier to swing around out of the way IMO. I switched my Sony A7rii full frame to a single point also. (BLACKRAPID Classic Retro (RS4) Camera Strap)

I guess it is just a preference. Easier to swing around out of the way IMO. I switched my Sony A7rii full frame to a single point also. (BLACKRAPID Classic Retro (RS4) Camera Strap)
View attachment 68737

I think this clearly comes down to personal preference. The one-point connection versus the two-point connection can be easily tested. As seen in the attached photo, I initially had a Mavmount one-point lanyard and wanted to re-use it with the smart controller so quickly crafted a twisted wire to create a center loop between the two mounting screws. I did not like the free rotation at all. I then connected using the two d-rings, a two-point connection and much preferred it. But for me, as noted above, keeping hands free was all I wanted for certain times. Holding the controller was not adverse to me when actively flying.

A much harder issue is trying to come up with some stanchion to hold the controller in some flat, parallel to the ground configuration. I leave that testing to someone else.

lany2 (2).jpg

I now have a Peak Design lanyard which is much cleaner in appearance and easy to attach and detach.

Last edited:
if I run 2 straps. It is on a tray. I have this for my RC radio if I am going to be doing a lot. Problem is with the SC is you need to be able to manipulate the screen all the time so I have seen nothing ideal for the Smart Controller. IMO anyway. right now the strap is only there to make sure I don't drop it... again. and I can swing it around my back for picking up the drone.

IMG_5075.JPGDone mine, much prefer these to the cheap Chinese rubbish with I would not trust to hold the controller.

I wonder why no one actually mentioned this one:

Gurt_soft_TITEL_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I've contacted them (living not too far from that place) for some suggestions and actually they will bring an updated version next week (they've planned it already), where the frame is coated on the bottom to avoid possible scratching of the screen. Also the rings will be coated for less noise and durability.

It's one of the few options I know which is compact and levels the SC to have a good view without holding with your hands additionally...

Reactions: ff22 and RogerMav
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claybird