DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Vimeo M2P HLG showcase- all shot in the native HDR format

christangey

Reactions
Site
www.alicespringsfilmtv.com.au
I've been shooting all over Australia for about a year now in the HLG format. For those who haven't tried it, it's the M2P's 10 bit HDR (High Dynamic Range) format
and I think it is way better than D-Log. See what you think, all videos in this showcase are HLG, color graded in FCPX.

I've been shooting all over Australia for about a year now in the HLG format. For those who haven't tried it, it's the M2P's 10 bit HDR (High Dynamic Range) format
and I think it is way better than D-Log. See what you think, all videos in this showcase are HLG, color graded in FCPX.

Excellent work as always!

Reactions: christangey

Beautiful shots! Do you prefer HLG because you’re able to bring the colors out more in post than you can with Dlog? I usually shoot DLog and have no experience with HLG, but I’m really impressed with your footage.

Beautiful shots! Do you prefer HLG because you’re able to bring the colors out more in post than you can with Dlog? I usually shoot DLog and have no experience with HLG, but I’m really impressed with your footage.
Thanks for that, yes, I guess in a nutshell the depth of color and the ability to nuance shadows etc. At either end of extreme exposure though, you need to be careful.

Reactions: IShouldBeWorking
I tried HLG and impressed with the deeper color tones. But I also get some color noise in the shadow areas. Do you know why? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

I tried HLG and impressed with the deeper color tones. But I also get some color noise in the shadow areas. Do you know why? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks
Yes Mpone you will get that especially if you underexpose by quite a bit, also it will happen where are there large areas of deep shadow anyway. You may find they also turn a little purple. So try not to underexpose by a long way, but having said that you are better to underexpose slightly than overexpose! Not sure what editing program you use but , for example, in FCPX there is a great little app called neat video that will denoise your shadows perfectly, not cheap though!

Reactions: MPone
Yes Mpone you will get that especially if you underexpose by quite a bit, also it will happen where are there large areas of deep shadow anyway. You may find they also turn a little purple. So try not to underexpose by a long way, but having said that you are better to underexpose slightly than overexpose! Not sure what editing program you use but , for example, in FCPX there is a great little app called neat video that will denoise your shadows perfectly, not cheap though!

Thanks for the tip. I use Davinci Resolve with the DLogM 709 Lut, the free version without any denoise function.

Thanks for the tip. I use Davinci Resolve with the DLogM 709 Lut, the free version without any denoise function.
Never use LUTS so I wouldn't know, but did you say you are using a DLog LUT to grade HLG?

Reactions: MPone

Very nice in HLG good shooting too!
I have been shooting some HLG and a lot in DlogM with my M2P. I do like your footage, but for some reason I had somewhat lower success with my HLG footage. So if anyone is interested to squeezing out all of what has been captured in 10-bit DlogM, I have a workflow using Davinci Resolve Studio (16) and a set of LUTs I created that will produce absolutely stunning HDR10 videos from unaltered original DlogM footage. To convince myself regarding the quality of the process, I shot several scenes in both modes (just minutes apart). I sure like what I can do with DlogM in HDr10. I use a 65" LG OLED C9 and I am super excited watching footage in HDR10 that I had taken some time ago with my M2P in DlogM.

If you are interested - reply. I can publish my "how-to" and the set of LUTs.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52