DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My worst drone confrontation yet! Come on, not again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going with the majority on this - But to suggest that you have had multiple confrontations re flying with a drone incidentally a large drone which in UK rules is under the A1 class which in essence is as your woman suggested should not be over people or property - Of course this is Spain which may have different rules (Which I assume your are up to speed with and fully conversant with) Either way you need to take yourself away from these encounters by either not antagonising people (which Drones unfortunately do) particularly if what they are saying is accurate re where you can fly with such a large drone. They maybe wrong and there is no excuse for challenging people in such a under handed way but if they are right you need to choose a more discreet location to launch your drone and keep within the local laws because if the worst should happen and your 700g drone decides to drop onto a beach with holiday makers on, there is only 1 person going to Spanish prison and it isn’t the 2 woman that are agitated by drone flight - And finally I would never fly a drone over a beach Town or people unless it was absolutely necessary - It ain’t what you do it’s the way that you do it - Good luck and safe and happy flying

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
What about the park-goers who have an implied right to enjoy the park without fear of a drone falling on them or interrupting their enjoyment.
For this particular park, is there a law giving you the right to fly and disturb people?
Even so, just because one has a right it doesn't mean one should assert that right.
If there is a confrontation, just contact law enforcement to settle the issue if you can't or won't diffuse the situation.

What about the park-goers who have an implied right to enjoy the park without fear of a drone falling on them or interrupting their enjoyment.
If they fear a drone falling on them, they are paranoid. We aren't supposed to fly over them, so as long as we are legally flying, they don't need to worry.
For this particular park, is there a law giving you the right to fly and disturb people?
Even so, just because one has a right it doesn't mean one should assert that right.
In the vast majority of cases, it absolutely does mean we need to assert that right!

There is nothing wrong with flying friendly, but if some ignorant jerk comes up to you and lies about the legality of a flight, the can go pound sand!
If there is a confrontation, just contact law enforcement to settle the issue if you can't or won't diffuse the situation.

I'd have to be there and see what is actually punching the public's button. I can speculate all day on who is in the right. My question would be, do others flying drones where you operate have the same problems? Do you have similar problems with the public flying in other similar areas while operating as you do? Again, I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong. You may indeed be following all the rules and flying in compliance. Maybe the atmosphere is different than where I fly here in the US. It's hard to deal with those hell-bent on complaining...we all know people react differently to a variety of hobbies. Sometimes I've found just because you can doesn't mean you should and your mission should never be to cause a conflict. But I feel for you if you're being hounded just because your using a drone and flying in compliance while trying to respect other people views.

Reactions: monteolsen1
Do you have similar problems with the public flying in other similar areas while operating as you do? Again, I'm not saying what you are doing is wrong. You may indeed be following all the rules and flying in compliance. Maybe the atmosphere is different than where I fly here in the US. It's hard to deal with those hell-bent on complaining...we all know people react differently to a variety of hobbies.
Yes, it happened to 3 of my friends already who fly in this area, and in Spain in particular.
Talking about Mallorca, drones aren't common at all here, so people are surprised and even scared when they see one.
Maybe I do some things wrong, however I'm definitely not the only one that has this problem in this area.

If that area is that problematic why even go there. Sounds to me your just asking for it 🤷‍♂️

Why put yourself in a position for confrontation? Don't fly where there are people.
Why continue to make a confrontation worse? Better to just gracefully and safely exit the situation.
I tend to disagree here…. There are always going to be people around for most of us flyers. We all don’t live by fields, mountains and open spaces. After explaining some simple legalities to these ladies I would have stayed and flown. If we know we’re flying legal than it is our right to fly just like someone has the right to fly a kite…. We just can’t always backdown or cow-tow to every lady that thinks otherwise. Yet we still have to listen to our common sense….

Why put yourself in a position for confrontation? Don't fly where there are people.
Why continue to make a confrontation worse? Better to just gracefully and safely exit the situation.
Where do I fly then? I want to fly I these areas, it is permitted, I should have no problem flying there, yet I'm annoyed by some random people who disagree with my actions.

Reactions: Jam0ne
If that area is that problematic why even go there. Sounds to me your just asking for it 🤷‍♂️
This area isn't problematic, it is the people on the island who are new to drones and their thoughts about them mainly aren't very positive. This might change soon when drones become more popular.

Reactions: dirkclod
That is a totally dumb suggestion. Are people supposed to go out into the desert to fly? No, the answer is to keep your cool and try to educate the Karens. If things get more confrontational, then pack up, and leave and if they are aggressive, YOU call the cops on them. One does not have to give up one's rights just to avoid confrontation.
Simple, bring a printed copy of the regulations with you. That's what I do everywhere I fly, it has quickly calmed any situation down

Reactions: Yaros
Wow, really? He was trying to talk to people that confronted him. He was not in the wrong and had every right to be there and fly. It's people like you that allow people like that to continue to harrass us when we fly. If more people start defending their positions and confront these fools, maybe this will stop. Why should we give up our freedoms when someone else is offended? It's people like you that tolerate stupidity like this and we wonder why we lose our freedoms in this country.

Last edited:
In AESA's website it is unknown, because in some pages they still list A1 as 900g or less. The Mavic 1 is 700g so I assumed it fits in A1.

Even if they are partially right, they shouldn't talk to us the way they did, they should approach calmly, and not tricking us into this conversation by some stupid photo and follow up questions.
It's not unknown, you just need to make more of an effort to understand the rules. Drones currently need to be less than 500 grammes to be flown in the A1 class.

The 'C1 class', with drones under 900 grammes may in the future be flown in the A1 class, but currently there are no C1 drones available for sale so it isn't relevant.

A2 class includes drones between 500 grammes and 2kg, requires that you have the A2 certificate (more rigorous than A1/A3). These drones, like the Mavic 1, Mavic 2, Mavic 3, can't be flown closer than 50 metres to uninvolved persons, though distance can drop to 5m in low speed mode ( this is also currently not applicable, though in some states in Germany they have brought this rule into effect on a temporary basis).

Note that in addition on a country by country basis, flying over private dwellings may be covered by other regulations, such as protection of privacy or national drone laws.

Why do you think everyone in Europe is buying the Mini 2 or Mini 3 if they can just fly the Mavic 3?

I got quite used to drone confrontations as they happen to me every month or so, but normally nothing too extreme, just someone getting angry about me flying my drone near a beach or similar. This one was worse, here's how it went.

I'm out with my friend, we were testing his Mavic 1 Pro, we were at a park near a store, we fly there often. 1st battery everything perfect, but after landing the 2nd time, the 2nd battery, just seconds after landing, two ladies approached us. One of them seemed nice and asked to take a photo of the drone, to me it seemed kinda strange, but I thought: hey, maybe she never saw a drone, or wants to show it to someone, so my friend held the drone, she took the photo. After the photo she started asking questions about the drone, like "what does it do" and "does it record video". After answering those questions she proceeded to say "did you know that it is illegal to fly here?" Oh not again, someone saying that it is a no fly zone. Both her and her friend talked to us in a very angry manner, shouting! I asked her, from where did she get that information, she said that after seeing the drone fly over her house, she called the police and asked, the cops said that it's not allowed to fly here, it's only allowed to fly over the fields. What?? I already had an encounter with the cops the other day, they know nothing about drones in my area. I disagreed with her and said "I hate to disagree, however your statements are completely false, we are allowed to fly over private property with this drone". She told us she will call the cops, and we said "fine, do whatever you want, we will not talk to you", we packed up the drone while she was calling the cops, said bye to them and went away, they claimed that we can't just walk away like that, but I didn't want to continue this discussion. They tried to follow us for a while, then I got my phone and took a picture of them, they probably got scared that we will report them for spying on us or following us and went away.

But wow, why do people go to this extent just because a drone flew over their house? Really?
Hi, first off sorry this happened to you. Second, I am a retired police officer and like you I have been confronted several times. Most have been very positive. Some not. When I start my pre checks and my log, I put my FAA Drone Pilot Vest on, then I turn on my DIGITAL RECORDER and put it in my front vest pocket. It's recording all the time. I am out in public, there is zero right to privacy so recording here in Nevada is legal. I always record my flights now just so that if I am confronted I have everything recorded. Do not allow yourself to be told you do not have a right to be here etc. You have every right to fly as long as you follow FAA rules, regulations etc. If she wants to call the police, go for it. The police now a days are pretty much useless so if they respond and they talk to you, remember you do not have to say anything to them. If they are polite and respectable, then give them the law enforcement drone card, ( I carry that with me at all times) they can call the FAA law enforcement hotline number listed on the card and talk to someone about what you are doing. If they are rude to you and treat you like a criminal then do not talk to them at all. I'm not giving you legal advice, I'm just telling you how I would handle this. I think anyone that tells you not to do somerthing when you have a legal right to do it is just a bully and they have never been told NO before. Good for you that you stood your ground.

Attachments

• Basic_Law_Enforcement_Response_Drone_Card.pdf
    473 KB · Views: 38
I got quite used to drone confrontations as they happen to me every month or so, but normally nothing too extreme, just someone getting angry about me flying my drone near a beach or similar. This one was worse, here's how it went.

I'm out with my friend, we were testing his Mavic 1 Pro, we were at a park near a store, we fly there often. 1st battery everything perfect, but after landing the 2nd time, the 2nd battery, just seconds after landing, two ladies approached us. One of them seemed nice and asked to take a photo of the drone, to me it seemed kinda strange, but I thought: hey, maybe she never saw a drone, or wants to show it to someone, so my friend held the drone, she took the photo. After the photo she started asking questions about the drone, like "what does it do" and "does it record video". After answering those questions she proceeded to say "did you know that it is illegal to fly here?" Oh not again, someone saying that it is a no fly zone. Both her and her friend talked to us in a very angry manner, shouting! I asked her, from where did she get that information, she said that after seeing the drone fly over her house, she called the police and asked, the cops said that it's not allowed to fly here, it's only allowed to fly over the fields. What?? I already had an encounter with the cops the other day, they know nothing about drones in my area. I disagreed with her and said "I hate to disagree, however your statements are completely false, we are allowed to fly over private property with this drone". She told us she will call the cops, and we said "fine, do whatever you want, we will not talk to you", we packed up the drone while she was calling the cops, said bye to them and went away, they claimed that we can't just walk away like that, but I didn't want to continue this discussion. They tried to follow us for a while, then I got my phone and took a picture of them, they probably got scared that we will report them for spying on us or following us and went away.

But wow, why do people go to this extent just because a drone flew over their house? Really?
With regard to the report saying that the cops said it was illegal, I might have responded with something like, "They did? OK, ask them to come over, and I'll explain to them why it's not."

My drone likes to fly in open areas away from people. The only confrontation I have experienced was from a neighbor. It is boring to fly close to home. I liken my M2P to a caged raptor. It wants to spread it's wings and fly free.

Reactions: Hermey and Yaros
Hi, first off sorry this happened to you. Second, I am a retired police officer and like you I have been confronted several times. Most have been very positive. Some not. When I start my pre checks and my log, I put my FAA Drone Pilot Vest on, then I turn on my DIGITAL RECORDER and put it in my front vest pocket. It's recording all the time. I am out in public, there is zero right to privacy so recording here in Nevada is legal. I always record my flights now just so that if I am confronted I have everything recorded. Do not allow yourself to be told you do not have a right to be here etc. You have every right to fly as long as you follow FAA rules, regulations etc. If she wants to call the police, go for it. The police now a days are pretty much useless so if they respond and they talk to you, remember you do not have to say anything to them. If they are polite and respectable, then give them the law enforcement drone card, ( I carry that with me at all times) they can call the FAA law enforcement hotline number listed on the card and talk to someone about what you are doing. If they are rude to you and treat you like a criminal then do not talk to them at all. I'm not giving you legal advice, I'm just telling you how I would handle this. I think anyone that tells you not to do somerthing when you have a legal right to do it is just a bully and they have never been told NO before. Good for you that you stood your ground.

The OP basically admitted they don't understand the drone rules in the jurisdiction where they are flying (Spain, not the US).

• Angry
A lot of great replies to this thread and hopefully Yaros has enough information to help. I think it's time to close it down.​

1660229423852.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair