DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Zoom - Crash Evaluation Please

I don't remember, but I usually have it at 100'. I am not sure what you mean about the double videos. If I could see the whole flight on video, it might help me find where it went it. The flight records show 14 mins, but I have 2 vids, each exactly 5 minutes and they don't overlap. In fact, i started recording from take off and never turned it off. The first one starts well after take off, lasts 5 mins, then there is a gap and the next one goes for 5 mins, but ends well before i crash. This happened the last time i flew. the first vid was 5 mins, the second one 2:30 mins, but the flight was less than 10 mins.
the only way I can help you is to read the logs, if you have problems posting the logs, if you send them to me by mail, let me know if it suits you, I will send you mail, but not the text files, the logs closed in the folder compressed then I think about it, tell me.

the only way I can help you is to read the logs, if you have problems posting the logs, if you send them to me by mail, let me know if it suits you, I will send you mail, but not the text files, the logs closed in the folder compressed then I think about it, tell me.
The logs have already been posted ...

If you're heading out for some drone fishing I would take a GPS, dial in the coordinates from the end of the log & start there ... if it's calm water perhaps it's just there at the bottom.

GPS.jpg

SLUP - you continue to be awesome! I have the coordinates, but the photo is extremely helpful. I haven't had a chance, since I work. Will likely try Saturday. I will all let you know how it turns out. What a great forum!Thumbswayup

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Is that the path right by the edge of the lake ?
If so, a nice wire grappling hook might be the go, even mock one up yourself if you have to using a good stiff wire.

Good luck with finding it, Refresh can then be used.

Yes, it landed close to shore. It's actually the Hudson River! I am a fisherman and will be casting a "wide net" with treble hooks! ?

Ohh, I saw Rockland Lake in the pic above, obviously a point on the river where it opens up a bit ?
Hope the river doesn't have a decent flow then, as it might be an open area it might behave like a lake there by the edge (little flow) . . . but be prepared to move downriver casting.
Good luck !

Thanks Mr. Oz! Rockland lake is landlocked and west ofHudson River.JPGhe Hudson River where my AC went down. It was relatively close to shore, but the river has a serious current!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
The AC did exactly what the RC commanded it to do during the whole flight ... so no, that's not my belief.
Perhaps phantom commands from the RC without the pilot touching the sticks? Has happened to me a few times and caused some erratic behaviour. Problem is, there is no easy way of isolating these from pilot input.

Perhaps phantom commands from the RC without the pilot touching the sticks? Has happened to me a few times and caused some erratic behaviour. Problem is, there is no easy way of isolating these from pilot input.
You can never definitely know for certain ... but several repeated inputs between precisely 0 & 100% ascend mimicking a panicked behavior perfectly, the only thing is that it was in the wrong direction. My thinking is brain fart in an emergency situation ... phantom signals highly unlikely due to how they looked.

You can never definitely know for certain ... but several repeated inputs between precisely 0 & 100% ascend mimicking a panicked behavior perfectly, the only thing is that it was in the wrong direction. My thinking is brain fart in an emergency situation ... phantom signals highly unlikely due to how they looked.
Here is one I had yesterday. I was just draining a battery, nothing more, but the AC was getting all sorts of phantom commands from the RC; from both sticks. Try and see if you can spot the phantom commands (only if you have the time though). It gets worse towards the end.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-01-29_[09-10-56].txt
    500.2 KB · Views: 4
Here is one I had yesterday. I was just draining a battery, nothing more, but the AC was getting all sorts of phantom commands from the RC; from both sticks. Try and see if you can spot the phantom commands (only if you have the time though). It gets worse towards the end.
Yeah ... I can see a bit of jittering at least on the throttle that I looked at ... but those throttle commands from the thread event were decisive & full out.

A cut out from your log @Doppler

JitteryThrottle.jpg

Compered with the event

ForcefulThrottle.jpg

Just a question...Is it at all possible that the controller could have been at fault in this case?
The real controller of the drone is the pilot, so I think there is a good chance that the controller failed.

I went out Friday, Saturday and Sunday with rod and grappling hook in hand and got skunked. The more i think of my behavior, the more I am convinced the controller had an issue. I looked again at the data posted here and i DEFINITELY did not hold the throttle down for any length of time. In fact, as the drone started to descend i had it full up and it didn't respond. It was only when it continued down that i jerked it up and down to try to get it to respond. Another issue, when i took my phones GPS out to the site, it showed a signifiantly different position that is shown on the photos. the river is close to some tall rock walls which have a significant amount of red in them. My phones compass went crazy when i walked up to it, but a few steps away and it was fine. I calibrated the compass and updated the home point before take off. I just don't understand. I will keep looking because I LOVED flying it. But it may be too much money for me to replace. And then i will be scared to fly it. This stinks.

I’m sorry, but the last thing you should do if the compass “goes crazy” is to calibrate the drone. What you really should have done is to move away until the compass settles down and all devices point to magnetic north. Calibrating a drones compass in a disturbed magnetic field is just going to lead to problems with disagreements between compasses and flight controller, though I don’t remember SAR mentioning compass disagreements in his flight analysis.
Rocks with red in them could indicate iron oxide.

I’m sorry, but the last thing you should do if the compass “goes crazy” is to calibrate the drone. What you really should have done is to move away until the compass settles down and all devices point to magnetic north. Calibrating a drones compass in a disturbed magnetic field is just going to lead to problems with disagreements between compasses and flight controller, though I don’t remember SAR mentioning compass disagreements in his flight analysis.
Rocks with red in them could indicate iron oxide.
Thanks, Boss, i guess i wasn't clear. The home point (where i started the flight) had no magnetic interference. I was 40' from any rocks. This is where I calibrated it (the controlled suggested the calibration). i noticed the interference when looking for the downed AC. At that point, i was closer to the rocks, about 4' (i understand about Fe oxide) with my phone and when i walked 10' away, it stopped. However, i am wondering if the controller, being 10' from interference, when i crashed could be more sensitive than my phone? Sorry for the confusion, i am not the best writer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kquach229