DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My zoom is in a 44ft gum tree out in the bush.

I just read elsewhere on here that the gps receiver is in the drone and in the tablet. So I see why I had initial tracking ability but not now.
Since the drone battery is now flat it is not contacting the tablet.
It seems that the 'Find my drone' function depends on an internet connection (which is not available at the drones position.) Is this right?
I think that I have to download a separate gps program to take me to the exact last coordinates that I have for the drone.

Does this sound right?
Thanks Steve

buy a 30 ft painter's extension pole, then get a ladder or climb the tree.
dude.... are you even following the thread or just reading the first post and jumping in?

Reactions: ZuluZulu75
The last reported position of you drone while connected to the rc should be recorded at the end of the last flight record accessible from the equipment page of GO4. You don’t need an internet connection to see this. The gps coordinates are given above the playback slider on the mission replay screen to 6 decimal points, Your phone has a GPS receiver and you just need an off-line map on which you can see your current position to use where there is no internet connection. Simples

Reactions: Steve M
Yep, going back again tomorrow with a gps unit and an offline map. I do have the coordinates.
Last time I went I didn't have an offline map.

Catapult, fishing sinker and an old fishing reel.
Jury rig the whole system and try to get the sinker shot over the right branch.
If you miss, cut the line, retrieve it and re-tie it together,
Keep going until you get the lucky shot.
Cut line again and add string, pull that through. Repeat and add rope, until you can get some one both ends of the rope to shake the XYZ! out of the tree and make the drone fall.
Catching the Drone is an extention of this art!!!!
I got my last drone off my high roof with a fishing pole and 1/2 oz sinker. the tough part is catching it ?

Catapult, fishing sinker and an old fishing reel.
Jury rig the whole system and try to get the sinker shot over the right branch.
If you miss, cut the line, retrieve it and re-tie it together,
Keep going until you get the lucky shot.
Cut line again and add string, pull that through. Repeat and add rope, until you can get some one both ends of the rope to shake the XYZ! out of the tree and make the drone fall.
Catching the Drone is an extention of this art!!!!
That's what I did months back using a slingshot.

Ok, I found it!
It was in this tree 44 ft up at first, then after a week of wind it fell unharmed.
tree.jpg

Then it fell, in the wind, in the next few days before I could get back to it, to here....

position.jpg

Yes, the same tree, smooth and white at the top and thick brown bark at the bottom. This pic is from 3 ft away.

condition.jpg

And this is how it looked when I cleared away the scrub.
An hour later when I got back to camp I changed the battery and it flew fine.
No damage done apparently. I took some pics.

DJI_0366.JPG

That is where I lost it, down there. Although technically in VLOS at that distance I had no accurate depth perception and I could not really see it. I was kidding myself that I could, and I hit 'Return to home' then it was actually under the canopy. It rose to or tried to rise to my preset 50 ft, the rest is history.
I was really lucky that it fell from 44 ft and landed in scrub that helped to prevent damage. (Although tricky to find without a GPS.)
I was really lucky that it didn't fall in the water.
I was really lucky that it did not rain in over 7 days since I lost and found it.
I was really lucky that I could get a gps tracker unit from a friend to input the coordinates so that I could locate the drone. (No internet here.)
I was really lucky that I was aware of this site that gave me so much info as to what I needed to do to recover my toy.
I was really stupid to let it get so far away from me.

I used search and have read tons of previous posts. I hope that this thread is of value to those who come after me.
And I give thanks to those who went before me and left a trail for recovery so that I could recover my drone.
And all of those helpful people in this thread. They not only help me but those who come after me.

Crikey , it is starting to sound like a Star trek episode, anyway off to look for one of those bright sticker things -skins?
I'm old ....... it's late..... I've been drinking.... I lost my drone and I got it back....... thanks to a lot of people.
Yay..................

Stoked to hear the conclusion of this story!
Full points for determination!
Ok, I found it!
It was in this tree 44 ft up at first, then after a week of wind it fell unharmed.
View attachment 84445

Then it fell, in the wind, in the next few days before I could get back to it, to here....

View attachment 84446

Yes, the same tree, smooth and white at the top and thick brown bark at the bottom. This pic is from 3 ft away.

View attachment 84447

And this is how it looked when I cleared away the scrub.
An hour later when I got back to camp I changed the battery and it flew fine.
No damage done apparently. I took some pics.

View attachment 84448

That is where I lost it, down there. Although technically in VLOS at that distance I had no accurate depth perception and I could not really see it. I was kidding myself that I could, and I hit 'Return to home' then it was actually under the canopy. It rose to or tried to rise to my preset 50 ft, the rest is history.
I was really lucky that it fell from 44 ft and landed in scrub that helped to prevent damage. (Although tricky to find without a GPS.)
I was really lucky that it didn't fall in the water.
I was really lucky that it did not rain in over 7 days since I lost and found it.
I was really lucky that I could get a gps tracker unit from a friend to input the coordinates so that I could locate the drone. (No internet here.)
I was really lucky that I was aware of this site that gave me so much info as to what I needed to do to recover my toy.
I was really stupid to let it get so far away from me.

I used search and have read tons of previous posts. I hope that this thread is of value to those who come after me.
And I give thanks to those who went before me and left a trail for recovery so that I could recover my drone.
And all of those helpful people in this thread. They not only help me but those who come after me.

Crikey , it is starting to sound like a Star trek episode, anyway off to look for one of those bright sticker things -skins?
I'm old ....... it's late..... I've been drinking.... I lost my drone and I got it back....... thanks to a lot of people.
Yay..................
Thats Great. Glad you found it and it wasn't damaged in the fall.

Congratulations on the happy ending and thank you for sharing your journey!

Since that lesson that toys can be hard to find in the bush, even if you know roughly where it is, I bought a Decalgirl skin.
A set of thin vinyl stickers, the brightest set that I could see in the range - called Rescue. Easier to find now.
I don't know how it will last but I'm very happy so far, it is well designed and well cut they have a ton of wild designs.

drone (3).jpg
drone (1).jpgdrone (2).jpg

Reactions: Thomas B
Yep, I had the grand kids 4 and 5 yrs flying it yesterday in Tripod mode with no phone.
Best toy they ever had, and safe.

Can I ask how secure the stickers feel?
They look great but I’m curious about their longevity. Anything that may come loose and tangle with a prop would be bad news.

Since that lesson that toys can be hard to find in the bush, even if you know roughly where it is, I bought a Decalgirl skin.
A set of thin vinyl stickers, the brightest set that I could see in the range - called Rescue. Easier to find now.
I don't know how it will last but I'm very happy so far, it is well designed and well cut they have a ton of wild designs.

View attachment 85448
View attachment 85449View attachment 85450

Hey Steve, how did those decals affect visibility when flying? Would you say it's easier to keep "eyes on" when airborne, say, on a bright sunny day (the most difficult for me)?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329