DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National Geographic Walkabout Small Backpack, from DJI

John Locke

Reactions
Has anyone bought the National Geographic Walkabout Small Backpack from DJI for $129? Seems like a good deal in comparison to the Manfrotto website, the company that makes them. I know there are less expensive backpacks, but I'm looking for a really nice backpack for my Mavic2. If anyone has bought one, I'm interested how you like it. Is there enough room inside, and is the quality as good as implied? Is there anything you don't like about it?

I actually had a similar desire to carry a 'backpack' instead of a drone BOX.

I went with the Amazon Basics Camera Sling (1 strap) and find it much more useful than a Box/Case/molded foam. I can actually carry it around and 'blend in' better than one would with a CASE. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FRDSAYW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have all the Alpine White items in the bag (2 spare batteries, charger, hub, props, etc) and still room for at least 1 more battery & some filters that I'll be purchasing soon. I like it a lot and its awesome for $30. Amazon also has a 'model' that is slightly cheaper & bigger, but the quality of the bag is less as it uses a different material.

Attachments

• AmazonMavicBag.JPG
    AmazonMavicBag.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 39
I use a LowePro "sling" backpack that I used to carry my camera & bits in.

By moving the internal dividers (attached with velcro) it now takes the Mavic Pro, three batteries, controller & a few bits quite happily.

And as has been said above, nobody gives it a second look - it's just another black rucksack to most people.

I actually had a similar desire to carry a 'backpack' instead of a drone BOX.

I went with the Amazon Basics Camera Sling (1 strap) and find it much more useful than a Box/Case/molded foam. I can actually carry it around and 'blend in' better than one would with a CASE. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FRDSAYW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have all the Alpine White items in the bag (2 spare batteries, charger, hub, props, etc) and still room for at least 1 more battery & some filters that I'll be purchasing soon. I like it a lot and its awesome for $30. Amazon also has a 'model' that is slightly cheaper & bigger, but the quality of the bag is less as it uses a different material.

Nice backpack. You're right, a backpack is way more stealth and versatile IMO too. Carrying a hard case creates suspicion, especially in tourist areas where you might want to hike back into the forest a mile or so to launch the craft. When people see hard cases they wonder what's in the hardcase that needs such protection, especially if someone is hiking with one. Paranoid folks may think it's a bomb or a gun and report you to security, only to be hassled by them even when within a legal flight area, such as a national forest area. Backpacks raise no suspicions and are lighter and easier to use.

I've had backpacks for all 4 of my DJI craft, they work well. I also have a hard case for my P3P, looks like new because I never use it (it's for sale). My last Mavic used a cheap backpack from Amazon, and it worked really good, but I want the next backpack to be higher quality. This backpack from DJI has national geographic printed on the pull straps, making it appear to be a camera backpack, which it is. So anyone that sees the label won't be concerned or alarmed, and since it's such a nice looking pack it adds more prestige anyone looking at it, never thinking it's a "drone".

So I'm curious if anyone else has bought this National Geographic backpack that can testify to it's quality and functionality, so I don't have to risk buying one to find out myself. I'm mostly curious about the zippers, are they easy to use, high quality? This is a subtle issue, but when the zippers are great, you really appreciate them for fast and easy access. The previous backpack I had for my Mavic was awesome for zipper quality and ease of use, I would recommend this one to anyone that's on a budget, it worked great.

I could buy the National Geographic backpack on amazon for $190 and return it, then buy from DJI at $125 if it's good, but I don't like doing that. The DJI price is really good, but I don't think they take returns if I don't like it. I think DJI got a special deal from Manfrotto in HongKong.

Curious if you ended up buying the walkabout bag. I too am wondering about how it holds up and fits the Mavic 2 plus accessories. By chance do you have the smart controller? Does that fit well too.

I have one for my m2z, fits every thing I carry for the drone for day trips and going away, and I take a lot of stuff and pack it in there, cant fault it, I also have a lowepro 500 but find it a bit big to lump around but that will fit all my mz2 stuff and all my air stuff as well, but that's real heavy when fully loaded up.

Wow, that Lowepro 500 could fit tons of gear. I can't seem to find the Nat Geo Walkabout anywhere online for a good price but Amazon has the Lowepro Drone Guards BP 250 on sale. Might give that a crack and hope it works out.

I purchased this one: Lowpro Photo Sport BP 300. Has Velcro dividers that you can move around, fits the AC, 3 batteries, RC, and room up top for a windbreaker or a beach towel. There’s room for a camelback hydration pack, but I’ve used it to store a MacBook Air (tight but fits). It also has a rain cover. Fairly light, but is build with quality. Zippers all work great, even after setting it down on a sandy beach.

I’ve used it on my last few trips to Hawaii and is convenient to pull out everything going through TSA.

Jeff

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead