DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

National parks in Australia

True.
With a 10 day leadtime/turnaround on applications.
It's a joke.

Edit: I was planning to fire off a huge rant at them when I discovered the same thing late last week. Just might still do it, but worthlessness of the approach as it will likely fall straight under the delete key on a random's keyboard in the NPWS office.

You can see all they are wanting is a register to know about flights in a given park if in the event something happens/a complaint is made etc.

That's fine, and fair. But make it a register, not an application for permit with the ludicrous lead times.

Eg:
Today is the 1st of September, you plan to fly out at [blah] state conservation area on the 11th September to get some scenic costal photos like many do.

You submit application, wait out the 10 days then go to sleep that night with everything at the ready.

Wake up the next morning and it's gushing down like a teenage boy has just discovered Playboy magazines.
Or you get out to the site and there is a tour bus in full effect, or other in-climate conditions for flying, etc.

The application process has been nothing but a paperwork waste of time to NPWS, time to yourself when like a lot of us work the 9-5 grind and only have 48hr window at best on a weekend to have some time yourself and enjoy your hobby.

Solution:- Make it a register, so they know what is going on at any given time and general location in a park.
Register your details with the site office or online, ahead of, or on the day.
So if anything happens, they have your details to contact you to resolve like adults. (Maybe that's a cynical thought in the 21st century.)

Then if you get approached by a ranger, you give him your details/or a registration number - it checks out and you're not being complained about/found to be doing anything nefarious you give each other a "too easy, have a good one mate" and all move on your way.

Last edited:
noooooooooooooo...that's crap..in our own backyard. Im a little disappointed as im going out backt this week ,,***. I guess I still get some great footage thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: skyrex
That is exactly the reason why yet again a government system doesn't/won't work.
Given you're going next week, that's less than 10 days away.
You'd already be gone before knowing if you're approved to fly or not.

No wonder people "break the rules", when abiding to the governance becomes too difficult what else do they expect?

QLD and WA you can fly to casa rules in Nat pks.
NT is relatively easy to apply online for free permit.
NSW (and maybe ACT) been told you can apply but think it’s a case of too hard basket.
SA, VIC, TAS might as well forget it, unless you are prepared to fly in remote regions outside the state parks rules.
I fly in remote SA outback, Simpson desert etc, we just aren’t near other people sometimes all day.

Reactions: ZX14-R
QLD and WA you can fly to casa rules in Nat pks.
NT is relatively easy to apply online for free permit.
NSW (and maybe ACT) been told you can apply but think it’s a case of too hard basket.
SA, VIC, TAS might as well forget it, unless you are prepared to fly in remote regions outside the state parks rules.
I fly in remote SA outback, Simpson desert etc, we just aren’t near other people sometimes all day.

QLD/WA - All good - No Permit Required?
NT - All Good - No Permit Required?
NSW/ACT - ya mean don't worry bout applying and just fly ??
SA - ya mean don't worry bout applying and just fly ??

Cheers

At the end of the day, CASA is the higher Authority and State/council legislation can’t over ride it. You stick to CASA regs and are fine. HOWEVER...... this doesn’t mean that the local authorities can’t fine you. It just means if you take them to task in a court of law, you will win. Going to be a pain in the *** though I would imagine and prob not worth it. This is being tested in the NT courts at the moment so I guess once precedents start being set, this will be clearer and local authorities will find they don’t have jurisdiction.
I attended a lecture earlier this year given by Aviation Lawyers who gave this information. AAUS will also advocate for any of their members willing to fight this.

At the end of the day, CASA is the higher Authority and State/council legislation can’t over ride it. You stick to CASA regs and are fine. HOWEVER...... this doesn’t mean that the local authorities can’t fine you. It just means if you take them to task in a court of law, you will win. Going to be a pain in the *** though I would imagine and prob not worth it. This is being tested in the NT courts at the moment so I guess once precedents start being set, this will be clearer and local authorities will find they don’t have jurisdiction.
I attended a lecture earlier this year given by Aviation Lawyers who gave this information. AAUS will also advocate for any of their members willing to fight this.
With respect to the airspace it would seem CASA is the ultimate authority with respect to the airspace. I wouldn’t be supremely confident in arguing that National Park’s and Local Govt authorities might not have the authority impose and enforce restrictions on whether landing and taking off might be prohibited in defined areas. Do you have any links to the NT litigation? Should make an interesting read.

I live in WA and as per above National parks changed the regulations early this year to be that so long as you comply with CASA rules you are OK to fly in their parks.

Many local authorities have rules that they claim prevent you taking off/landing in their parks. My local city was about to introduce such laws a couple of years back but had legal advise (which they do not publish) to the effect that they did not have the powers for such a rule. I presume the same would apply to other councils but you might have an expensive legal fight on your hands.

Cheers for info,, I had been practising at Belair national park, front oval, when no one was around. I haven't been approached by anyone yet. Dont want to upset the apple cart. May have to leave it and go down further south to open areas where there are no residents.

Cheers for info,, I had been practising at Belair national park, front oval, when no one was around. I haven't been approached by anyone yet. Dont want to upset the apple cart. May have to leave it and go down further south to open areas where there are no residents.

Marlene, Belair NP is one metro park I’d be hesitant to fly in, usually busy but as you say it can be quiet sometimes.
But, it couldn’t hurt to go to the main office when open, and ask if ok to fly your drone with care on the oval, if no one else is nearby, and for just a battery or two (ie for 2 x 20 to 25 mins spans or whatever).
They may say no outright or may say ok.
Usually SA NPs are complex application and generally only considered for commercial operators with RePL.
Can’t hurt to ask though, at least you’ll know and find somewhere else.
I’m not far south of Belair NP (walk there often), and have a few big oval like places I fly sometimes down south, hit me up if you need any ideas.
Bear in mind many local metro councils effectively ban flying drone on their parklands etc, but place and time of day, common sense / consideration with other members of the public, and short planned flights are the key.

QLD/WA - All good - No Permit Required?
NT - All Good - No Permit Required?
NSW/ACT - ya mean don't worry bout applying and just fly ??
SA - ya mean don't worry bout applying and just fly ??

Cheers

Google > [state] national park drone permit Most states info comes up fairly easy to find.

Eg. Doing this for NT, this page comes up top Flying drones in parks - NT.GOV.AU

Click permit link, very simple to fill out and apply for you specified period of time.
This is the permit link (PDF) https://nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/400032/operation-of-aircraft-form.pdf

Do that search with SA in the text instead of NT, and it’s a very different (difficult) story Drones and aircraft

NT requires similar permits pre-applied for well before you go, so really not a very practical solution. I live in Tassie and they are definite No Fly Zones, so forget it down here.

CASA regulations state that you require land owner approval for a take off/landing site. The parks/councils probable have some fine that they can impose independently of the CASA airspace regulations. It can get complicated fast!
Sydney is a tough place to fly for fun[emoji849]

CASA regulations state that you require land owner approval for a take off/landing site. The parks/councils probable have some fine that they can impose independently of the CASA airspace

@SIT I’m pretty sure CASA don’t have such a rule.
If you know where it is located in their regulations, can you post a link ?

Councils have bylaws (that they seem to be able to make up to suit themselves) and can fine someone under a specific rule.
Most of the council bylaws relate to operating models including planes, drones, cars, boats (motor or sail), etc.
I have even seen such a bylaw at one Adelaide foreshore council banning kites with 2 strings !!

@SIT I’m pretty sure CASA don’t have such a rule.
If you know where it is located in their regulations, can you post a link ?

Councils have bylaws (that they seem to be able to make up to suit themselves) and can fine someone under a specific rule.
Most of the council bylaws relate to operating models including planes, drones, cars, boats (motor or sail), etc.
I have even seen such a bylaw at one Adelaide foreshore council banning kites with 2 strings !!

You might be right.
It might actually be a guideline or a best practice. I've just done my RePL and am getting my ReOC at the moment. Almost all the time there is a directive for a landowner consent. It was even a requirement during the Cheif Remote Pilot CASA interview. Maybe it only comes up if things go pear-shaped or you find yourself in some legal level interpretation of the law or your insurance.

Here is what I did find while looking for a link:

AC101-10 v1.3 page 20
  • 3.6.2.1 CASA regulations do not grant an RPA operator any rights against the owner or occupier of any land on or over which operations are conducted. They do not prejudice the property rights of a person in respect of any injury or damage to property caused directly or indirectly by an RPAS operation.
  • 3.6.2.2 Pilots and operators of excluded RPA must ensure that their activities are compliant with other applicable State and Territory laws that are not directly inconsistent with Commonwealth aviation legislation.

AC 101-01 v2.1 page 34
  • 4.8.2.1 CASA regulations do not grant an RPA operator any rights against the owner or occupier of any land on or over which operations are conducted. They do not prejudice the property rights of a person in respect of any injury or damage to property caused directly or indirectly by an RPAS operation.
  • 4.8.2.2 Compliance with CASA regulations does not absolve the operator from compliance with any other regulatory requirements that may exist under Commonwealth, State or local law.

Thanks mate, yes it just states CASA rules don’t override other rules of land ownership etc for use when flying.
Same as privacy issues, CASA have no part of that field but recommend checking state law on that.
Good on you for going through the RePL, I think the way we’re going it might be the only way to fly even for recreational use in future years.
It’s on my list.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS