DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filter in Auto mode?

FORDY

Reactions
Hi, I use an ND8 filter on my Mavic Pro for manual filming. Should I remove the filter if I am filming in Auto or would the Mavic COMPENSATE for this?

I know some of you will say TRY IT !! but, to be honest it's quite a struggle to remove the filter and I don't want to risk damaging the gimbal by constantly swapping on and off.

Thanks for any constructive comments....Happy Flying.

The camera should compensate for the filter. It reacts from the light reaching the sensor, through a filter or not.

The camera should compensate for the filter. It reacts from the light reaching the sensor, through a filter or not.
This is true, but you should really never shoot in auto. ISO above 400 is too grainy in most cases, and exposure changes during a shot are jolting. White balance for your time of day, set your ISO, the exposure is on the wheel. Learning to shoot manual is just as important as practicing flight.

This is true, but you should really never shoot in auto. ISO above 400 is too grainy in most cases, and exposure changes during a shot are jolting. White balance for your time of day, set your ISO, the exposure is on the wheel. Learning to shoot manual is just as important as practicing flight.
Agreed. It is far easier to lighten a dark picture in post for than it is to clean up a grainy one.

Hi, I use an ND8 filter on my Mavic Pro for manual filming. Should I remove the filter if I am filming in Auto or would the Mavic COMPENSATE for this?

I know some of you will say TRY IT !! but, to be honest it's quite a struggle to remove the filter and I don't want to risk damaging the gimbal by constantly swapping on and off.

The camera doesn’t know you are using a filter. It simply sees less light and will compensate.

Reactions: zenfly2

The reason on using ND filters is to force the camera to auto modify their diafragma aperture, the only issue you can’t manually modify on Mavics. Forcing on opening diafragma, you can reduce the shooting time, achieving sharper images over low light conditions. Anyway, you should never film in auto mode.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom