DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND filters for still pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you can post some pictures that you have taken with your drone or DSLR as I am sure you have some good ones, please share Thumbswayup

BTW, sun sets in the West, not in the South :)

I have posted several photos on her in different threads. I have no idea where your photo was taken, so assumed it was a sunset. However as you state something about the south, the sun does not set, nor rise in the south.

I have posted several photos on her in different threads. I have no idea where your photo was taken, so assumed it was a sunset. However as you state something about the south, the sun does not set, nor rise in the south.

One should never assume grasshopper!
Location PNW (Pacific North West) looking South, approximately 1400 PST, or if you are UTC 2100Z time or 2200 L GMT summer time.

Post up some pics so I can see them!

Oh, did you look at the EXIF data regarding the "picture that could have been taken with a land based DSLR"?
The EXIF data (let me know if you need help with that) shows: Camera: DJI FC330=P4 or phantom P4.
Thought that would clarify your assumptions Thumbswayup

Last edited:
One should never assume grasshopper!
Location PNW (Pacific North West) looking South, approximately 1400 PST, or if you are UTC 2100Z time or 2200 L GMT summer time.

Post up some pics so I can see them!
Assumptions are fine, it makes no difference either, whether this was a sunset or sunrise and frankly I don't care either,. However, as has been stated , there is no reason to use an ND filter on these images, they would be the same with or without, other than blurring clouds or water, but then a drone is not that great for long exposure images.

Reactions: Meta4
Some more pictures and I am done.
Pictures with ND filters no PP whatsoever folks::
And what difference do you think the ND filter made to any of these?

The only thing that the ND filter does is to cut the amount of light.
Sometimes that's done because the photographer wants to use a slower shutter speed to paint moving subjects differently.
But for static subjects like those, there's absolutely nothing to be gained from the use of the ND filter.
So why would you?

Assumptions are fine, it makes no difference either, whether this was a sunset or sunrise and frankly I don't care either,. However, as has been stated , there is no reason to use an ND filter on these images, they would be the same with or without, other than blurring clouds or water, but then a drone is not that great for long exposure images.

Well, you made the assumption that I took the picture with a DSLR and the "other" picture was at sunset, without asking or researching the EXIF file which I advised you to do so.
I have asked you to post up some pictures but "they have been posted" elsewhere, so PLEASE post some pictures, as I am eagerly awaiting their arrival o_O

Sometimes that's done because the photographer wants to use a slower shutter speed to paint moving subjects differently.
But for static subjects like those, there's absolutely nothing to be gained from the use of the ND filter.
So why would you?

Would love to see some of your pictures that you have taken in your 40 years of being a "photographer" Thumbswayup

M2P does great long exposure pictures as well as the I2?

So why would you?

DOF!
Please tell me that you have used an ND filter in the 40 year's of picture taking?
I have some doubt that you actually know anything about photography at all o_O
You may know how to read flight data logs, but heck that doesn't make you a smart photographer does it?

Oh, did you look at the EXIF data regarding the "picture that could have been taken with a land based DSLR"?
The EXIF data (let me know if you need help with that) shows: Camera: DJI FC330=P4 or phantom P4.
Thought that would clarify your assumptions Thumbswayup

I am happy to trust you, that this was taken with what ever you say, I don't need to look at EXIF data. But again, there was no reason to use an ND filter on the image either, because it gave you no advantage over a standard shot, there was no blurred clouds, no flowing water, therefore, as has been stated to you a number of times, using an ND filter was simply not necessary.

And regarding that photo, I only stated that it might have been a DSLR, or a drone, I was making no assumptions and there was no advantage of using either type recording device, to take a photo like that. If you stuck it out there and took a pole, asking people if they thought it was shot with a drone or a DSLR, I am sure you would get a number of people thinking it was shot with a DSLR and of course other "assuming" it was a drone shot. Either way it is irrelevant because using an ND filter did not enhance anything at all in the image.

I am sure we are all happy to know you like using both ND filters and graduated ND filters in your photography exploits and I feel I can speak for us all in wishing you all the best using what ever you feel like and no one will think the lessor of you. However, this thread began because the OP asked if there was any benefit to using an ND filter on a drone for non video recording of an image, and the simple answer has been, no... other than if the photographer requires there to be motion in the water or motion in the sky, both of which are not best shot with a drone flying in the air. I shall leave it at that for the OP's information request.

Nice pictures Thumbswayup
Did you take them? How much PP was done and what drone?

I don't have to justify to you or anyone else the comments that I made.
I made one small response to the OP , which you and one other member didn't like in regard to ND filters.

Your assumption that I was "making an argument" about the use of ND filters is really quite amazing and subsequent responses didn't seem to be to your liking. So, understand that you and I have a difference of an opinion and I really don't care what you think. Maybe a short course in CRM/HF (maybe that's too cool).

I am happy to trust you, that this was taken with what ever you say, I don't need to look at EXIF data. But again, there was no reason to use an ND filter on the image either, because it gave you no advantage over a standard shot, there was no blurred clouds, no flowing water, therefore, as has been stated to you a number of times, using an ND filter was simply not necessary.

And regarding that photo, I only stated that it might have been a DSLR, or a drone, I was making no assumptions and there was no advantage of using either type recording device, to take a photo like that. If you stuck it out there and took a pole, asking people if they thought it was shot with a drone or a DSLR, I am sure you would get a number of people thinking it was shot with a DSLR and of course other "assuming" it was a drone shot. Either way it is irrelevant because using an ND filter did not enhance anything at all in the image.

I am sure we are all happy to know you like using both ND filters and graduated ND filters in your photography exploits and I feel I can speak for us all in wishing you all the best using what ever you feel like and no one will think the lessor of you. However, this thread began because the OP asked if there was any benefit to using an ND filter on a drone for non video recording of an image, and the simple answer has been, no... other than if the photographer requires there to be motion in the water or motion in the sky, both of which are not best shot with a drone flying in the air. I shall leave it at that for the OP's information request.

Where are your pictures?

Sata data posted some pictures!

DOF!
Please tell me that you have used an ND filter in the 40 year's of picture taking?
I have some doubt that you actually know anything about photography at all o_O
You may know how to read flight data logs, but heck that doesn't make you a smart photographer does it?
Once more you seem to be missing the point regarding this thread, it is all about using an ND filter on a drone for still photography, not video. And with that in mind, you have been told numerous times, and I would assume you would know (there I go assuming again, right?) that there is absolutely no DOF concerns to be taken into account, when shooting aerial photos with a drone. The reason being, because the lens will not show any difference whether you are shooting at f2 or f11. So, there is no point on earth bringing the remarks about DOF into this conversation when discussing drone photography, with the current cameras we have available to us.

We are not talking about Meta4's "40 years of picture taking", and Meta4 is NOT talking about you shooting your DSLR with an ND filter, where you may need the added DOF that an ND filter might give you. He is speaking about drone photography. We do not care what you use with your DSLR because this thread is no even remotely concerned about you shooting with ND filters to gain any DOF advantages. Please understand that, the poor horse is being beaten to death by you. If you continue to talk about DOF, it seems on your end, that the gates are down and the lights are flashing here, but there just does not seem to be a train coming along! I am beginning to think that you have the whole six pack here, but you lack the little plastic thingy that holds them all together. No disrespect meant towards you by the way, have a pleasant evening.

Gosh,
More drama than a soap opera...boo hoo hoo :eek:

A picture can be worth a thousand words.
Shipping Photography Examples - Above & Beyond Photography
Now do you want to rephrase your comments?

51jC+AYygCL.jpg

Once more you seem to be missing the point regarding this thread, it is all about using an ND filter on a drone for still photography, not video. And with that in mind, you have been told numerous times, and I would assume you would know (there I go assuming again, right?) that there is absolutely no DOF concerns to be taken into account, when shooting aerial photos with a drone. The reason being, because the lens will not show any difference whether you are shooting at f2 or f11. So, there is no point on earth bringing the remarks about DOF into this conversation when discussing drone photography, with the current cameras we have available to us.

We are not talking about Meta4's "40 years of picture taking", and Meta4 is NOT talking about you shooting your DSLR with an ND filter, where you may need the added DOF that an ND filter might give you. He is speaking about drone photography. We do not care what you use with your DSLR because this thread is no even remotely concerned about you shooting with ND filters to gain any DOF advantages. Please understand that, the poor horse is being beaten to death by you. If you continue to talk about DOF, it seems on your end, that the gates are down and the lights are flashing here, but there just does not seem to be a train coming along! I am beginning to think that you have the whole six pack here, but you lack the little plastic thingy that holds them all together. No disrespect meant towards you by the way, have a pleasant evening.

51jC+AYygCL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope