DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filters: Polarized vs. Non-Polarized for easiest/best video quality?

PFA: I expect that many drone owners have made similar mistakes, (even if some prefer not to admit it, :) Lord knows *I* have but you summed it up quite well...live and learn.

The M2P is definitely more powerful than the M1P, by quite a bit, actually based on the performance I've seen so far. And, the extra umph along with the larger batteries, will probably save a few souls who fly too far downwind.

As for that choppy section in the vid, who knows? I just considered it an operator error problem or perhaps in editing with PP. Finally found the time to figure out proxies so that may help with the 4k D-LOG clips in the future.

My offer of hooking up if you come this way stands and probably the best way to contact me is via email or phone. PM me if you want that info.

KB

I’ve had my polarpro filters for a week now and they are great. In full sun, shooting at 1/60 and F4.0, it looks like I may need ND32 after all for scenes with very bright highlights such as moving water, white objects etc. For all other scenes, a ND16 is perfect in full sun. Colors are fantastic, with excellent saturation. I’m getting into hyperlapse and have ND128-1000 on order to slow the shutter speed for that dreamy motion blur you see in the best hyperlapses.

PFA: I expect that many drone owners have made similar mistakes, (even if some prefer not to admit it, :) Lord knows *I* have but you summed it up quite well...live and learn.

The M2P is definitely more powerful than the M1P, by quite a bit, actually based on the performance I've seen so far. And, the extra umph along with the larger batteries, will probably save a few souls who fly too far downwind.

As for that choppy section in the vid, who knows? I just considered it an operator error problem or perhaps in editing with PP. Finally found the time to figure out proxies so that may help with the 4k D-LOG clips in the future.

My offer of hooking up if you come this way stands and probably the best way to contact me is via email or phone. PM me if you want that info.

KB

Collaborating sometime to fly and shoot would be nice. besides, i would love to see some pictures with all those filters when you get them. Send me your info so we can keep in touch and I would love to get some of your best pictures with those filters and we can always exchange settings for better pictures.

I just sent you a PM.

FYI everyone...My PP filters came yesterday but unfortunately, like so many other areas of the country, it was still raining down here in South Texas so no flight testing was possible. However, I did test the fit and not only do they clip on easily and securely, they appear to be the exact width of the camera and the gimbal cover fits just like it does with the stock lens cover with no contact at all that I could tell. One thing to note, they only go on one way. I had the M2p upside down and my brain took a smoke break. <g> I was thinking about the MP and how I liked having the "NDxx" at the top where I could see it from above so that's how I first tried to attach one of the PP filters. It got stuck and I had a heckuva time getting it off. But, when you put the "NDxx" text facing up WITH the MP2 on its back, the cover clips into place VERY nicely and easily. For those who have not as yet removed the stock lens cover, there are three small tabs and one large. The large goes in the slot nearest you with the aircraft on its back. So, be sure and have the text facing toward you which makes sense because the camera is so much larger than the MP's camera that you couldn't see the text from the top anyway.

BTW, the cases are obviously larger than those for the MP but, they are of similar style with much better, rubberized material inside and you no longer have to "pry" them out, they now have rubber brackets to hold them in place. Very nicely done and still compact. Also, the CPL's turn smoothly.

More when I get a chance to try them out and meanwhile, here's a photo.

KB

Hey what does that filter tool look like? I have the DJI filters but they are a pain! Could you post a pic AND if anyone had a spare tool, I'll pay you money for it!

I just recieved these two sets yesterday and found a good review video of them.

Maybe this could help anyone that's still undecided:

Lon: I'm not sure what you're talking about...I don't THINK I mentioned a "tool."

Did your PoalrPro filters come with that tool that is used to assist one in taking off the stock filter?

I am not certain, but I am guessing it comes with their packages? I have no idea, but I am hoping it does. I have watched a video and seen how helpful it is.

Lon: I'm not sure what you're talking about...I don't THINK I mentioned a "tool."

It's a little rubber piece that grips the filter. Both off my hands were damaged in combat and I'm having some trouble swapping them. Grrrr... I never thought I'd miss the ease off slip on filters.

I just recieved these two sets yesterday and found a good review video of them.

Maybe this could help anyone that's still undecided:

Ahem... I PM'd you bro! Hahaha! Have you used their tool and if so, what do you think? I've called and emailed them with no response. Best Buy sells their 3 filter kit for $50. If it comes with the tool, I may buy it just for that! I'm not on YOUR level but I'm not afraid to spend money to get what I want!!!

NOW I know what you're talking about cuz I FOUND the little bugger! <laughing> (see attached)

When I opened the PP boxes, I did so on my desk which, like a lot of desks, had a whole bunch of loose stuff on it so later, when I saw the little "tool," I just assumed it was for something else and forgot about it. Read the little brochure/manual that came with the filters and it didn't mention the tool at all, just how to install/remove them and it never occurred to me that the thing came from PP (even though this dummy didn't see the PP logo ON IT! That darn thing sure would have been handy when I got the dang filter on wrong the first time. <chuckling> And of course, you are completely correct, it is a GREAT little tool and DOES make it easier in both directions.

Many thanks for the tip! I bet PP would sell or give you one if you asked.

KB

Edit: Yep, I bet those rubber fingertips would certainly help with any brand of filter.

Attachments

• pp-filter-tool.jpg
    pp-filter-tool.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 69
NOW I know what you're talking about cuz I FOUND the little bugger! <laughing> (see attached)

When I opened the PP boxes, I did so on my desk which, like a lot of desks, had a whole bunch of loose stuff on it so later, when I saw the little "tool," I just assumed it was for something else and forgot about it. Read the little brochure/manual that came with the filters and it didn't mention the tool at all, just how to install/remove them and it never occurred to me that the thing came from PP (even though this dummy didn't see the PP logo ON IT! That darn thing sure would have been handy when I got the dang filter on wrong the first time. <chuckling> And of course, you are completely correct, it is a GREAT little tool and DOES make it easier in both directions.

Many thanks for the tip! I bet PP would sell or give you one if you asked.

KB

Edit: Yep, I bet those rubber fingertips would certainly help with any brand of filter.

Thanks for the reply!!! Well if they answered their phones or returned messages or emails.... I'm also thinking of using the Elektra luts but I often use Power Director and they don't list it as compatible so I'm also inquiring about that. It just never ends.... Hahahah!

Ain't THAT the truth, Lon! Do hope you can get your hands on one of the little widgets and if not, I bet the rubber fingertips will work as well. Now why didn't *I* think of those? Duh...

Yea I was doing ND filter tests yesterday and fumbling with those filters tested my patience for sure!!! The good news is the Polar Pro app is very helpful so you're not swapping, trying a new filter....nope, swapping....nope, swapping...etc. Let's just say that "someone" forgot about the app at first...

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Lon: I thought those fingertips would help and the video clearly shows that, good deal and now you don’t have to worry about losing the tool . <grin>

BTW, thank you for your service.

KB

Very few situations except over water that a polarized filters is of any benefit and some where they can actually create issues. Many that have the complete set will never use or benefit from the PLs.

You have little to no understanding or experience with Polarized filters and should not doll out wrong info in such a 'matter of fact' tone.

I could explain but there is a plethora of literature online.

Very few situations except over water that a polarized filters is of any benefit and some where they can actually create issues. Many that have the complete set will never use or benefit from the PLs.

Bunk. I never use polarized filters because of flying over water. I use them to remove atmospheric haze on humid days to deepen and enhance the blue sky.

Reactions: parkgt
Not sure if this has been answered or not, as I have searched but not found any information. I am new to filters and have a question regarding Polarpro's adjustable ND/PL filters. I will be shooting lots of long exposure photographs, along with some videos. In regards to ND vs ND/PL, is it possible to rotate the ND/PL filter to get the same colors (no polarizing effect) as a regular ND filter of the same value? For example, I would rather buy a custom set with ND/PL (8,16,32,64,128,1000) then a set with ND (8,16,32) and ND/PL (8,16,32), which basically gives you two filters with the same ND value. Again, is it possible to negate the polaring effect on an ND/PL filter by adjusting it?
Again sorry if this has been answered.
Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas