DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filters: Polarized vs. Non-Polarized for easiest/best video quality?

TrayBoz

Reactions
I know very little about photography.

I want to get a good set of ND filters for my Mavic 2 and need help. I'm not interested in still pictures from the mavic 2, just videos. I'm looking at the $50-$80 price range.

I know that polarization is to minimize glare when filming over water. I have polarized sunglasses so I understand the concept.

My question is: Do I need both polarized AND non-polarized lenses? (I'm NOT a professional photographer - I just want good vacation videos.) Is there any reason NOT to shoot with a polarized ND filter ALL the time?
i.e.: When would I remove a ND8PL filter and replace it with just a ND8 filter? Do you ever need a polarized filter if you're not shooting over water?

Any hints/help is much appreciated.
My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere already.

Very few situations except over water that a polarized filters is of any benefit and some where they can actually create issues. Many that have the complete set will never use or benefit from the PLs.

Last edited:
I know very little about photography.

I want to get a good set of ND filters for my Mavic 2 and need help. I'm not interested in still pictures from the mavic 2, just videos. I'm looking at the $50-$80 price range.

I know that polarization is to minimize glare when filming over water. I have polarized sunglasses so I understand the concept.

My question is: Do I need both polarized AND non-polarized lenses? (I'm NOT a professional photographer - I just want good vacation videos.) Is there any reason NOT to shoot with a polarized ND filter ALL the time?
i.e.: When would I remove a ND8PL filter and replace it with just a ND8 filter? Do you ever need a polarized filter if you're not shooting over water?

Any hints/help is much appreciated.
My apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere already.

There are many reasons to use a polarizer that don't involve water - people just think of being able to see through water when they think of a polarizer because that is how it's usually demonstrated. Polarizers have many uses that do not involve bodies of water. Polarizers both enhance or remove reflections of all types. Leaves, vehicles, glass, wet pavement and countless other surfaces can all have reflections that you may want to remove. Polarizers can also enhance saturation, but that is easy enough to add after the fact.

It's a lot easier to just forget about PL and shoot with ND's if you are just a casual user, but polarization is an effect that is impossible to add in post processing, so the only way to get it is with a filter. That part is up to you. It requires a good understanding of how polarization works (strongest 90 degrees to the sun, eliminated at 180 degrees to the sun) and a pre-planned flight path based on your flight angle to the sun because if your drone moves at all relative to the sun, your video will change.

You would never want to just leave on a PL 100% of the time because as you flew around in different directions, you would have vastly different levels of polarization and your video would look strange (reflections would change, the color of the sky would change, the saturation and reflections on foliage would change). If you left a polarizer on all the time, you also might inadvertently remove something you want in your video - such as a rainbow, or an orange sunset reflection on calm water, both of which can be either removed or enhanced by a polarizer - not all reflections are bad :)

If you don't think you care, and don't want to be bothered by the extra effort needed to get good polarized drone footage, I would forget it. If you get more serious about it, it's very inexpensive to add a polarizer to your kit as it is an effect not reproducible by software or any other means. I have NDPL's and I don't use them too often.

I would also be interested in ND filters for my MP2. I'm a photographer but am new to drones. Not sure who makes good ND filters for drones and where to look.

I would also be interested in ND filters for my MP2. I'm a photographer but am new to drones. Not sure who makes good ND filters for drones and where to look.

There are many manufacturers on here selling the filters. The most expensive company here is PolarPro, but it seems that high price comes with great quality. So I have heard. I did a bit of research and found that PolarPro sent out a lot of free ND filters to a ton of youtubers to use the product and give their honest reviews. Well, that can make the reviewers biased, but the good thing is they have videos and have different things to say.

That shows PolarPro really has invested a lot of money in research and development. And the feedback is a way of people to give real workd reviews. And so I can see why they can justify their high prices. Plus, they even have an app that can help you recommend what filter to use when you want to shoot. That is nice. I do not know if any other seller has such an app.

Well, I think I would likely be buying from them.

There are other sellers who offer a bit cheaper prices and almost same quality (So I have heard). But I have not seen anything that they have sent out free sample to youtubers to review. I just saw recently a long post by someone who got free filters from Skyreat ans reviewed it.

Skyreat is coming out with a new line in a week or so, but watch out because it seems they have been under pressure trying to rush and get those filters out. So, do not be surprised when the first users of the filter have mixed reviews about the filter. But who knows?

I hear all the filtee vendors on this website sell good products. So, it is like cars. Do you want Michelin tires or Yokohama or Firestone or the asian made Atturo tires? They are all tires from different manufacturers. Same for the filters. They serve the purpose.

Do a little research and buy. As for me, I may likely buy from PolarPro.

I have polarpro filters for my Mavic and Mavic 2 pro. I only use the PL to reduce reflections when I want to look into the water, which is rare. I don’t want to reduce reflections on the water the rest of the time because it makes it look unnatural and less lifelike. As others have said, it may increase saturation but that is easily done in post, if needed. Most of the time , I don’t need to add saturation as these cameras have enough saturation. I bought a custom set for the MP 2 pro which only includes two PL filters out of ten. They will be used sparingly.

Thank you to everyone for your very informative responses. This helps me a lot.

So, it sounds like what I'd ideally like to have would be a ND4, ND8, ND16, and just one ND8PL or ND16PL so I'll have at least 1 polarized filter for when I'm filming near the ocean (I travel a lot to scenic coastal destinations).

I would only put on the polarized filter when I'm over the water.

I wish there was a way to buy this combination. It looks like you either buy an entire Polarized set or an entire ND set, or both. I haven't seen anyone sell a small simple mixed set. Any suggestions?

So, it sounds like what I'd ideally like to have would be a ND4, ND8, ND16, and just one ND8PL or ND16PL so I'll have at least 1 polarized filter for when I'm filming near the ocean (I travel a lot to scenic coastal destinations).

I wish there was a way to buy this combination. It looks like you either buy an entire Polarized set or an entire ND set, or both. I haven't seen anyone sell a small simple mixed set. Any suggestions?

Yes, you can buy that combination from PolarPro.

Checkout my thread. It may have some useful information for you. I think I wanted to get the same combo that you just listed. take a look at my thread and read what the individual filters do, you may change your selection and go with exactly what I am getting from PolarPro.

Here is a link to my thread...

Link to more info about PolarPro filters to help you decide on ND filters...

You wsih to get ND4, ND8, ND16 and ND8PL or ND16/PL.

I am a novice like you and I am getting ND8, ND16, ND16/PL and ND32.

If you have the ND8, you can tweak your aperture to get ND4. That is why I did not get ND4.

I got ND32 because when you see what they do, it increases color saturation and contrast. That is the only ND filter in my selection that says it does that. You may want something like that because a very bright sunny day is very common and this is the perfect filter for it. Look at ND32 videos online and you will like it. Also, you can tweak your aperture here and get the effects of a ND64.

ND8/PL vs ND16/PL. ND16/PL videos seem to pop out more to my eyes, that is why I chosed it.

So, with my selection of these 4 filters ND8, ND16, ND16/PL, ND32, I can tweak my aperture and get a ND4 and ND64. So, I almost feel like I got 6 filters for the price of 4.

I am just sharing how I came to my own conclusion.

Link to PolarPro website to customize your order at the cost of $99.99. That is what I am getting.

PolarProCustom 4-Pack | Cinema Series | Mavic 2...

If I were going to buy just 4 it would be ND8, ND16, ND32, ND8PL. reason for ND8PL is I use it for looking into the water and the water is usually much darker than many other objects on sunny days. With a ND16PL the water might be too dark to shoot at 1/60 and F4-4.5 which is the sweet spot for sharpness.

Reactions: kilomikebravo
FYI everyone...My PP filters came yesterday but unfortunately, like so many other areas of the country, it was still raining down here in South Texas so no flight testing was possible. However, I did test the fit and not only do they clip on easily and securely, they appear to be the exact width of the camera and the gimbal cover fits just like it does with the stock lens cover with no contact at all that I could tell. One thing to note, they only go on one way. I had the M2p upside down and my brain took a smoke break. <g> I was thinking about the MP and how I liked having the "NDxx" at the top where I could see it from above so that's how I first tried to attach one of the PP filters. It got stuck and I had a heckuva time getting it off. But, when you put the "NDxx" text facing up WITH the MP2 on its back, the cover clips into place VERY nicely and easily. For those who have not as yet removed the stock lens cover, there are three small tabs and one large. The large goes in the slot nearest you with the aircraft on its back. So, be sure and have the text facing toward you which makes sense because the camera is so much larger than the MP's camera that you couldn't see the text from the top anyway.

BTW, the cases are obviously larger than those for the MP but, they are of similar style with much better, rubberized material inside and you no longer have to "pry" them out, they now have rubber brackets to hold them in place. Very nicely done and still compact. Also, the CPL's turn smoothly.

More when I get a chance to try them out and meanwhile, here's a photo.

KB

Attachments

• polarpro-filters.jpg
    polarpro-filters.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Reactions: branchie68
Nice to know you got yours.

Can you list exactly what filters you bought? Where in South Texas are you? Are you in the Valley? I am in Houston area.

Reactions: Gaddget
Little Bro: <smile> I got the Limited Collection, the Filter 6-Pack, and the Gradient Collection, the latter haven't arrived yet as they were ordered after the first. More than I will ever need or use? Probably but at least I won't be saying..."dang it, I wish I had ordered those." :=)

I'm in Corpus, BTW.

KB

Little Bro: <smile> I got the Limited Collection, the Filter 6-Pack, and the Gradient Collection, the latter haven't arrived yet as they were ordered after the first. More than I will ever need or use? Probably but at least I won't be saying..."dang it, I wish I had ordered those." :=)

I'm in Corpus, BTW.

KB

Dang! You spared no expense. You got it all. I mean, you truly bought every single filter they sell. Do you sell your photos and videos that you shoot? I wish you were closer, I sure would go flying with you to see how well those other filters look when you take pictures or videos.

When is the next Texas Sand fest in Port Aransas? I am sure your filter collection would produce some great pics.

I have been to the beach in Corpus a lot of times and never could keep my drone steady while out there. Let me look for a pic on that beach when I still had my Mavic Pro.

This is a pic I took at the beach in Corpus. I think everything was auto settings. This was probably some time early this year.
XyK9eCs.jpg

Last edited:
There are many reasons to use a polarizer that don't involve water - people just think of being able to see through water when they think of a polarizer because that is how it's usually demonstrated. Polarizers have many uses that do not involve bodies of water. Polarizers both enhance or remove reflections of all types. Leaves, vehicles, glass, wet pavement and countless other surfaces can all have reflections that you may want to remove. Polarizers can also enhance saturation, but that is easy enough to add after the fact.

It's a lot easier to just forget about PL and shoot with ND's if you are just a casual user, but polarization is an effect that is impossible to add in post processing, so the only way to get it is with a filter. That part is up to you. It requires a good understanding of how polarization works (strongest 90 degrees to the sun, eliminated at 180 degrees to the sun) and a pre-planned flight path based on your flight angle to the sun because if your drone moves at all relative to the sun, your video will change.

You would never want to just leave on a PL 100% of the time because as you flew around in different directions, you would have vastly different levels of polarization and your video would look strange (reflections would change, the color of the sky would change, the saturation and reflections on foliage would change). If you left a polarizer on all the time, you also might inadvertently remove something you want in your video - such as a rainbow, or an orange sunset reflection on calm water, both of which can be either removed or enhanced by a polarizer - not all reflections are bad :)

If you don't think you care, and don't want to be bothered by the extra effort needed to get good polarized drone footage, I would forget it. If you get more serious about it, it's very inexpensive to add a polarizer to your kit as it is an effect not reproducible by software or any other means. I have NDPL's and I don't use them too often.

Agree completely. I am a photographer, not drone photographer or videographer.

Effect from PL varies tremendously with camera movement so unless you are filming on a direct flight path expect some shifts in contrast, saturation, etc.

The only time I could see using a polarized on a drone is for still shots.

Paul

Dang! You spared no expense.

Yep, that's my MO for most purchases. <smiling> Terribly obsessive and compulsive at times (but a decent retirement income.) ;-)

Not familiar with the "Sand Fest" in Port A but I just checked and it's April 26-28, 2019. I know the same sort of thing takes place here in Corpus but I've never been to one because of the traffic, it's truly insane the number of people that attend. Can't tell what part of the beach you were in from that shot but it looks an awful lot like one of the beach Access Road turnoffs on 361 between CC and Port A. Was that an MP1 image? Thanks to Semptember rains, I have only been able to fly at the beach once since I got the MP2 and that wasn't for very long as it was mighty windy. (Here's a mediocre clip.) Not too windy for the MP2, too windy for ME. <grin> Plus it was super humid and dang hot. However, I've been out there with my MP1 many times and I know what you mean about the drone working its little behind off in the wind. I'll get back out there in October for sure as it's one of my favorite months of the year weather-wise and I hope to see some good results with stills and video now that I finally have some ND's.

Definitely let me know if you find yourself headed down this way in the future.

The only time I could see using a polarized on a drone is for still shots.

CD: Precisely why I bought them.

KB

Yep, that's my MO for most purchases. <smiling> Terribly obsessive and compulsive at times (but a decent retirement income.) ;-)

Not familiar with the "Sand Fest" in Port A but I just checked and it's April 26-28, 2019. I know the same sort of thing takes place here in Corpus but I've never been to one because of the traffic, it's truly insane the number of people that attend. Can't tell what part of the beach you were in from that shot but it looks an awful lot like one of the beach Access Road turnoffs on 361 between CC and Port A. Was that an MP1 image? Thanks to Semptember rains, I have only been able to fly at the beach once since I got the MP2 and that wasn't for very long as it was mighty windy. (Here's a mediocre clip.) Not too windy for the MP2, too windy for ME. <grin> Plus it was super humid and dang hot. However, I've been out there with my MP1 many times and I know what you mean about the drone working its little behind off in the wind. I'll get back out there in October for sure as it's one of my favorite months of the year weather-wise and I hope to see some good results with stills and video now that I finally have some ND's.

Definitely let me know if you find yourself headed down this way in the future.

KB

Yes, the traffic during the Sand Fest is usually insane. I have attended it twice and I always show up early and sadly leave before the structures are fully built.

Yes, I remember the location where I took that picture was probably one of the beach Access Road turnoffs. And that was when I had a MP1. I just got my MP2 yesterday and with a very busy work schedule, I hope I get to fly it soon. First thing will be to open box, get serial number and purchase DJI Refresh and also buy State Farm insurance for $50 a year with no deductible.

I am surprised you flew your drone so long on the beach. I know each time I tried flying my MP1 that close tot he water, it was always high tide and the wind was strong and my MP1 would struggle and give me warnings and so I would never fully fly to enjoy it that close to the water.

When I had my MP1, I went out of town to Lake Charles, LA. I flew my drone at dusk and ignored the warning to update. I was wanting to show my friends how well the drone flies and take pic. Well, I lost control of it and it flew away and crashed into the hotel destroying gimbal and getting all kinds of scratches. Thank God it did not land on someone's car. I sent it to DJI and had to pay to get it fixed, but when I received the fixed drone, it was basically a brand new drone or refurbished. No scratches or nothing. New serial number. I was happy with that and have been very cautious since that day when flying and will never ignore an update again, lol.

I hear the M2P is a bit powerful than MP1, so I hope it can handle the wind.

Why was your video so choppy?

I will remember your offer and if I am heading that way, I will hit you up if you are flying that weekend. I also love this October weather. I am heading to the Hill Country sometime after the mid of October for a wine tasting trail and that is when I hope to shoot some pictures and maybe videos in the Hill Country. Looking forward to trying my filters then and would post the pictures here on my thread for sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair