Join Us Now

ND Filters

RUFFSTUFF

RUFFSTUFF Media
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
www.ruffstuffmedia.com
Anyone got decent ND filters yet? I have an order for the Freewell All-Day filter kit at B&H, on backorder since 5/30. So I'm just waiting... and waiting...
Didn't order them directly from Freewell because, for some reason, they feel the need to charge $20 for shipping, and I don't support that.

Reactions: Artphotography
What ND filter range are you asking about? I have just received a set of Skyreat filters - nd8/PL, nd16/PL, nd32/PL, shipping to Canada took about a week. I have nothing to test them on yet as my Mini 3 Pro has been delayed, hopefully here within a week. I'm wondering if that filter range goes far enough to lower the shutter speed in bright sun down to 2x video the frame rate to provide motion blur in nearby objects? An nd32 is 5 - f stops, bringing a 1/2000 shutter speed down to 1/60th sec, so I'm hoping scenes aren't any brighter than that.
What un-filtered exposures are you guys getting with the f1.7 aperture at 100 iso?

Skyreat nd filter kit_0939.jpg

Last edited:
nd8/PL, nd16/PL, nd32/PL, shipping to Canada took about a week.

I'm wondering if that filter range goes far enough to lower the shutter speed in bright sun down to 2x video the frame rate to provide motion blur in nearby objects?

You'll just have to try them . . . on bright sunny days with snow you might need a step up.
You can probably get individual ones from some of the suppliers.

I have an ND64 for my M1P, but I haven't really needed it yet.

Perhaps a middle of the day, white sand beach scenario, as we don't get to the snow seasonally like we used to.
Most of our alpine resorts are NFZ's anyway (National Parks), you have to really get away from them to get airborne for snow scenery.

You probably have snow permanently through the winter and shoulder seasons, and good days to fly will likely be very bright.
Although one of my aims is to use iso 100, you can always try the ND32 with iso 200, or even 400, unless really low or going fast, it should work ok.

What ND filter range are you asking about? I have just received a set of Skyreat filters - nd8/PL, nd16/PL, nd32/PL, shipping to Canada took about a week. I have nothing to test them on yet as my Mini 3 Pro has been delayed, hopefully here within a week. I'm wondering if that filter range goes far enough to lower the shutter speed in bright sun down to 2x video the frame rate to provide motion blur in nearby objects? An nd32 is 5 - f stops, bringing a 1/2000 shutter speed down to 1/60th sec, so I'm hoping scenes aren't any brighter than that.
What un-filtered exposures are you guys getting with the f1.7 aperture at 100 iso?
The Freewell kit is ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, ND64 and ND1000. ND32 isn't dark enough on bright days on the Air 2S where I am, so I'm sure it won't be for the M3P.
1656378581483.png

Anyone got decent ND filters yet? I have an order for the Freewell All-Day filter kit at B&H, on backorder since 5/30. So I'm just waiting... and waiting...
Didn't order them directly from Freewell because, for some reason, they feel the need to charge $20 for shipping, and I don't support that.
Ordered the Freewell UV filter only for my Mini 3 Pro, got it mid June, delivery charges are a bit expensive. Have also on order a set of ND filters from PGYTECH due about mid July. Had ND Filters previously from PGYTECH and they were ok.

I've got the DJI ones and are great.
While I was waiting for the shipment I stuck a mini2 freewell ND8 over the lens and it was OK but the proper ones are far superior.
I haven't tried the darkest one as of now but the 64 is good on sunny British daytime shoots. Haven't had a clear blue sky with full sun to really try them out.

My DJI ones are supposed to arrive today.

Most of the 3rd party ones are too weak for the Mini 3 - not enough light blocking. None seem to factor in the f/1.7 lens.

Ultimately most people will need a ND64 minimum for useful video so the packs with 8/16/32s arent going to be a lot of use.

Reactions: Brojon

Most of the 3rd party ones are too weak for the Mini 3 - not enough light blocking. None seem to factor in the f/1.7 lens.

Ultimately most people will need a ND64 minimum for useful video so the packs with 8/16/32s arent going to be a lot of use.
I agree. I find myself usually using ND32 or more on my Air 2S. Sometimes ND 16, but never less unless I'm shooting at night.

People don't realize that the Mini 3 lens takes in significantly more light than any previous Mini, the Air 2, or the Mavic... that means any "rule of thumb" you have gotten used to will require a doubling on the Mini 3. You think from previous experience you need ND16? You need 32. You think you need ND32? You need 64. PolarPro and Skyreat selling the 3 common level 8/16/32 kits are doing a big disservice as those are the arbitrary numbers from previous drones... the reality is the 8 will be useless, the 16 almost useless, and the 32 ok in cloudy to mixed sunlight. a 64 or even higher is a must for bright sun on the Mini 3 IMHO.

People don't realize that the Mini 3 lens takes in significantly more light than any previous Mini, the Air 2, or the Mavic... that means any "rule of thumb" you have gotten used to will require a doubling on the Mini 3. You think from previous experience you need ND16? You need 32. You think you need ND32? You need 64. PolarPro and Skyreat selling the 3 common level 8/16/32 kits are doing a big disservice as those are the arbitrary numbers from previous drones... the reality is the 8 will be useless, the 16 almost useless, and the 32 ok in cloudy to mixed sunlight. a 64 or even higher is a must for bright sun on the Mini 3 IMHO.
100%.

I was rocking 1/3200 the other day just to get to a usable exposure...

Well, I ordered and just received the Freewell set.

8D4D0584-4825-437A-8B31-E8C24F611D8B.jpeg

I haven’t flown any missions with these yet, so these are just out of the box impressions…

First of all, what you get in the pack is what you see in the following photo. A little plastic case that holds all six filters (ND4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and 1000) and a little envelope that contains a cleaning cloth, some stickers, and a QR code card that links to some tutorials and such.F83793CC-3D1A-4C04-8E03-714CF7BE41F8.jpeg

The filters are easy enough to get on the bird without too much fuss, and they seem very light and have a snug fit. There’s no indication that one needs to worry about these falling off during flight or otherwise.DAA51976-C75F-4765-9949-7C89368DDCC6.jpeg

Overall, I would say my initial impressions are mostly positive. I would have liked to see Freewell include a nicer carrying case for these, as I can see this chintzy plastic case quickly breaking in-field. Additionally, it distresses me that the included case also doesn’t allow one to place the factory lens cover into the case for transport (the case simply will not close with the factory lens cover inserted).

I’ll try to follow up with some actual video later when I get a chance to fly a full mission later this week.

Attachments

• 1359EDA3-A0A8-4E56-9828-52C4974B04E4.jpeg
    1359EDA3-A0A8-4E56-9828-52C4974B04E4.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 5ED2F421-4CC0-48DC-9E04-6218041EBFD6.jpeg
    5ED2F421-4CC0-48DC-9E04-6218041EBFD6.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2
The Freewell kit is ND4, ND8, ND16, ND32, ND64 and ND1000. ND32 isn't dark enough on bright days on the Air 2S where I am, so I'm sure it won't be for the M3P.
View attachment 150858

the aperture difference from the Mini 3 to Air 2S means a ND32 on the Air 2S needs a ND64 on the Mini 3 for the same results... so even ND64 won't be enough in your scenario. IMHO a basic "3 filter set" for the Mini 3 should be 32/64/128. The 4 and the 8 in this set are near useless and the ND1000 is high enough that it remains a long duration photography lens for creating affects in a still image like blurred moving water etc.

the aperture difference from the Mini 3 to Air 2S means a ND32 on the Air 2S needs a ND64 on the Mini 3 for the same results... so even ND64 won't be enough in your scenario. IMHO a basic "3 filter set" for the Mini 3 should be 32/64/128. The 4 and the 8 in this set are near useless and the ND1000 is high enough that it remains a long duration photography lens for creating affects in a still image like blurred moving water etc.
I agree. I really wished these guys would axe all the lower ND value filters and do exactly what you’re saying, but I haven’t seen any set like that yet.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
Just did the first flight with my DJI filters in bright summer sunshine.
The ND64 as expected got the shutter down to about 1/120 so thats likely the lowest needed. I can see that one staying on the drone almost all the time.

If you using 30p instead of 60, a 64 isnt going to be dark enough.

Id like a ND1000 for timelapse.

Reactions: RUFFSTUFF
I have the freewell nd variable filter works great and don't have to remove just twist to change

Cancelled my order with B&H. I requested an update and they didn't reply. Amazon has my money now, should get it this weekend.

Exactly right. I just got my DJI set (before the drone!) and while it has gaps it covers anything I should encounter which lately has been scorchingly bright days.
When Freewell comes out with their variable ND's I'll likely pick up a set. I use those on my Air 2S and they work well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBeeshy