DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND Filters

This article at DroneDJ is probably the most comprehensive test of drone filters I've seen so far. Covers more than just NDs though and is more focussed on the M2P/Z than your Air, but should give you a bit of a steer on quality, packaging, etc. for each vendor. It does seems to be a bit of a mixed bag though, with each brand having their strengths and weaknesses, so the "best" brand would probably depend on what your priorities are.

If it helps, I've got PolarPro's 6 filter ND/CP set and 3 filter GND set for my M2P and couldn't be happier with the fit, build quality, and image quality. Expensive, but it does seem you get what you pay for, and since I use Lee 100mm filters on my SLRs, I'm kinda used to that!

@Abkwasigroh, the Mavic Air filters listed here are all good brands to consider.

I need some good advice.I read here and there about filters ND and polarized.Not everyone agreed about the need fo them.
I understand the nd have a real helpful contribution, about shutter spoeed, and the contrast contribution, especially on panorama video shoot.
I have doubt how does it work with the polarized ones.I mean, the drawback of to take it 90° to the sunlight line, during camera playing, it's not so easy.

I
I need some good advice.I read here and there about filters ND and polarized.Not everyone agreed about the need fo them.
I understand the nd have a real helpful contribution, about shutter spoeed, and the contrast contribution, especially on panorama video shoot.
I have doubt how does it work with the polarized ones.I mean, the drawback of to take it 90° to the sunlight line, during camera playing, it's not so easy.

Think when you wear polarizing sun glasses, the colours become more intense they eliminate reflections on glass and water. you just have to keep the sun behind the drone camera

.see her for example.

Reactions: Arthuar
I

Think when you wear polarizing sun glasses, the colours become more intense they eliminate reflections on glass and water. you just have to keep the sun behind the drone camera

.see her for example.
Yes I know, but sometimes on utube, few mavic users, wrote that the same result could be achieved on post processing lika as Devinci.
Do you think it's out of realilty?

I personally prefer to get a quality image / video straight out out of the camera, other people choose to adjust there in camera settings to produce a flat image/video ie raw then post process to give the look they are after all depends want to spend time on Colour Grading.

Color Grading

Yes I know, but sometimes on utube, few mavic users, wrote that the same result could be achieved on post processing lika as Devinci.
Do you think it's out of realilty?

Yes and no. You can certainly fake a CP's boost to colour saturation and tone, but there's no way of removing reflections in the same way that a CP does.

The main two are that a CP will let you bring "sparklies" on water and other translucent surfaces (e.g. glass) under control, without a CP they're probably just blown highlights. They'll also let you see through reflections to whatever is behind, e.g. a river bed or someone sitting behind a window, which can't be done in post either unless you are going to try and blend in a completely separate image. There's also the "getting it right in camera" angle, of course.

Really it depends on the subject and what you are trying to achieve; for a simple colour boost on skies, then you might be able to do that easier in post by playing around with contrast and saturation. For reflection control, a CP is almost certainly the way to go, despite the limitations of not being able to adjust it in-flight.

Yes and no. You can certainly fake a CP's boost to colour saturation and tone, but there's no way of removing reflections in the same way that a CP does.

The main two are that a CP will let you bring "sparklies" on water and other translucent surfaces (e.g. glass) under control, without a CP they're probably just blown highlights. They'll also let you see through reflections to whatever is behind, e.g. a river bed or someone sitting behind a window, which can't be done in post either unless you are going to try and blend in a completely separate image. There's also the "getting it right in camera" angle, of course.

Really it depends on the subject and what you are trying to achieve; for a simple colour boost on skies, then you might be able to do that easier in post by playing around with contrast and saturation. For reflection control, a CP is almost certainly the way to go, despite the limitations of not being able to adjust it in-flight.
Well done, full explanatory wrote.
As photograph passionate I can't be more agreed with you..more just out of camera, less artifacts.
Then I will to take the good filter purchase, but in my opinion just to start, an 8 - 16 ND filter should be enough.The polarized ones could be take later, in case.

Hey Guys,

I've had my Mavic air for a little while now and am considering getting some ND filters, thanks for the links above regarding choice.

Would anyone have any links for example to a video/resource that shows before using an ND filter and one after - i.e for comparison. I'd like to get a feel for what the difference looks like.

Thanks Ronan.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
HI all, just purchased some ND filters.
Considering all the stuff learned here, I choosed some polar cs shutter, instead of polarized ones.
Do you think is a good choice to start with ?

Good Light.

Reactions: PolarPro_Brendan
HI all, just purchased some ND filters.
Considering all the stuff learned here, I choosed some polar cs shutter, instead of polarized ones.
Do you think is a good choice to start with ?

Good Light.

If you're not familiar with the limitations of polarizers and drones (e.g. not being able to adjust and having to be mindful of shooting angles), then yeah - good choice! PolarPro is definitely one of the better brands out there and will hopefully serve you well, and you can always add the polarized ones once you figure out which of the NDs you are using the most.

Hope you have some good flying to go with your light! :)

Reactions: Arthuar
If you're not familiar with the limitations of polarizers and drones (e.g. not being able to adjust and having to be mindful of shooting angles), then yeah - good choice! PolarPro is definitely one of the better brands out there and will hopefully serve you well, and you can always add the polarized ones once you figure out which of the NDs you are using the most.

Hope you have some good flying to go with your light! :)
Yes indeed, I am not ready to take the flight keeping in mind the right angle needed for the perfect sun line, instead of, firstly, to get a good shutter time, based to the good aperture diafram..no F11 at all, you know :rolleyes:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique