DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND/PL Filters over water

Chris32817

Reactions
I took the advice of some fellow pilots and picked up a set of ND filters for MP2. Im happy to say I got a full set of gently used Freewell filters for less than $40 on eBay. The ND8 was my primary choice over the water with full sun. It would be nice if DJI had included a set of filters with the Pro version. It makes all the difference in the world when you can remove the glare on bright days.

Attachments

• DJI_0084.JPG
    DJI_0084.JPG
    9.8 MB · Views: 66
  • DJI_0106.JPG
    DJI_0106.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 63
  • DJI_0146.JPG
    DJI_0146.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 66
  • org_1d7bdd1aaff0e639_1558166232000.jpg
    org_1d7bdd1aaff0e639_1558166232000.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 60
I took the advice of some fellow pilots and picked up a set of ND filters for MP2. Im happy to say I got a full set of gently used Freewell filters for less than $40 on eBay. The ND8 was my primary choice over the water with full sun. It would be nice if DJI had included a set of filters with the Pro version. It makes all the difference in the world when you can remove the glare on bright days.
Nice images but that the ND filter doesn't do anything at all to remove glare.
There just wasn't much glare under the lighting conditions and the angle you were shooting.
Your ND8 just cuts 87% of the light forcing a slower shutter speed to get good exposure.
But it hasn't done anything to change the look of the image at all.
If you are shooting aerial stills, there is no reason to use ND filters unless you have a particular reason to want a slower shutter speed.

Reactions: kjcbid54
Nice images but that the ND filter doesn't do anything at all to remove glare.
There just wasn't much glare under the lighting conditions and the angle you were shooting.
Your ND8 just cuts 87% of the light forcing a slower shutter speed to get good exposure.
But it hasn't done anything to change the look of the image at all.
If you are shooting aerial stills, there is no reason to use ND filters unless you have a particular reason to want a slower shutter speed.
Sorry I should have specified that I am using the ND/PL version of the filters.
It is the Freewell Bright Day – 4Pack ND8/PL ND16/PL ND32/PL ND64/PL for Mavic 2 Pro

Reactions: ZX14-R and Simmo
Yeah Polarised filters will cut the glare over water. Just make sure you have the poloriser the direction you want it ;)

Reactions: kjcbid54
If you had the polarizer turned in the correct direction, it will help to eliminate the glare off the water, but it will not help with exposure for still photos as said previously. These pictures have great composition, but the highlights are blown out and over-exposed. You still need to adjust your shutter speed to a higher speed to bring your exposures down. Use the histogram and zebra stripes to help you with this.

If you had the polarizer turned in the correct direction, it will help to eliminate the glare off the water, but it will not help with exposure for still photos as said previously. These pictures have great composition, but the highlights are blown out and over-exposed. You still need to adjust your shutter speed to a higher speed to bring your exposures down. Use the histogram and zebra stripes to help you with this.

Agree, always turn Zebra / Histo on

Im still getting used to the digital settings. Most of my photography experience was with a Bronica SQ-B. Good luck strapping that to a Mavic. Thanks for the advice.

Im still getting used to the digital settings. Most of my photography experience was with a Bronica SQ-B. Good luck strapping that to a Mavic. Thanks for the advice.
Velcro tape soaked in super glue. No problem.

Reactions: Chris32817
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu