DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ND`s and stuff...

Rogerlin

Reactions
I appreciate this has been covered before but....I`m a little confused still.

I bought a set of Tiffen ND filters ND 4 to ND 16, and used manual settings 24 fps & 1/50, as would appear to be the best settings.

On a sunny day it was apparent that 16 was not up to the job and footage was over exposed, so I`ve just bought an ND 32 hoping this will be sufficient, will it?

Also with the 16 in place and reverting to `Auto Exposure` everything looks right, but I`m not convinced I`m getting the nice effect of 24 - 1/50 and would really appreciate it if someone can enlighten me.

Cheers..

On a sunny day it was apparent that 16 was not up to the job and footage was over exposed, so I`ve just bought an ND 32 hoping this will be sufficient, will it?
An ND16 or ND32 will be sufficient for filming outdoors during the day in most locations. This video explains how to find the proper ND filter for your current conditions (assuming you have the filter you need on hand).

If you want to find the correct filter without holding the filter up to the camera, you could use the PolarPro app (available for iOS or Android) to calculate which filter is needed. See this video for an example showing how that app works.

Tiffen doesn't make anything higher than an ND16 for the Mavic 2 Zoom. Here are a few other brands you could buy:

Also with the 16 in place and reverting to `Auto Exposure` everything looks right
As it should. But, you shouldn't use auto since it will auto adjust your shutter speed -- which isn't going to work since you're trying to use a specific shutter speed to get cinematic looking footage.

Last edited:
That`s great, thankyou for your concise answer, I`ve totally got it now!

Also what a useful app, glad I asked the question....

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying