DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NE OHIO

i live near the mill street run reservation. i have no idea where the main street diamond is. maybe it's in berea near wallace lake? can you reply to them and ask for clarification? if it's over there, it's in an 'enhanced warning zone' since it's about 4 miles from hopkins. but not on a flight path and down in a valley so you should be good to fly there without issue. it's a big open area.

other than that, the hinkley ledges sounds like it may be a cool area. just don't know what's around there to shoot.

main street diamond

OK, I drafted up an email but before I sent it, I took another look at Google Maps and found the "Main Street Diamond". They're referring to the baseball diamond on Main St. (41.3516092,-81.8364562), as seen here on Google Maps Street View: Google Maps

Looks like there are a ton of high power lines and a power grid across the street a few hundred feet away, so not sure how viable this site is for flying. :rolleyes:

Checking in from Hinckley home of the buzzards. Just have a few flights in so far and loving every second. Glad to see other Mavic owners in our area and yes it would be great to get together. At first there was information overload but I am getting comfortable with my Mavic and starting to get familiar with all of features. Need to get up to speed on camera settings and editing. Any suggestions on editing software?
Hi Neighbor, Medina here, your Buzzards come down here every year, they soar around and perch on top of an old red barn next door,5 or 6 at a time..

OK, I drafted up an email but before I sent it, I took another look at Google Maps and found the "Main Street Diamond". They're referring to the baseball diamond on Main St. (41.3516092,-81.8364562), as seen here on Google Maps Street View: Google Maps

Looks like there are a ton of high power lines and a power grid across the street a few hundred feet away, so not sure how viable this site is for flying. :rolleyes:
i know exactly where that is! the power stuff is all over that area like is shown in the streetview. so probably not the best but it is usually empty.

Reactions: paulmike3
I'm on the westside, looking to find a place to just simply practice using my drone outside. I've registered it with the FAA, read up on the regulations, so I would like to actually fly this thing. I live within five miles of Hopkins, so if I want to fly it in my neighborhood, I have to call the airport/tower. Does anyone have experience in calling them up and dealing with them? Does anyone know specifically if Lakewood, Rocky River, or Bay Village have any regulations about flying in their parks near the lake that are outside of Hopkins range?

I also inquired about the Metroparks designated areas and got the same list. I also had to confirm where the Main Street Diamond was and I can't believe that they chose that site with all those powerlines near it that is also close to Hopkins and Southwest's helipad. I told them they need to get a better site for the westside as this one is terrible.

@snooperfax , where are you at? i'm over on the olmsted falls/berea border. my house is within 5 miles of hopkins but the planes over me are well over 2,000' so i haven't even bothered to call when i do a quick flight in my driveway. lakewood park is a good location. you can launch from the very northeast point and get great shots of the city on a clear day. but you'd be out over the lake. so if you are nervous about that, it's probably not the best location to go to. i'm trying to find some places a littlfurthere furth south. like valley city or grafton area. wide open farm land down there. just need to find a park or somewhere public to take off from.

I took my Mavic out for her maiden flight today at the Polo Fields @ South Chagrin. Had a great time just learning the controls and taking some noob pics and videos. Lots to learn, but had an awesome time! Finished just before sunset, which would have been amazing to capture. Lesson learned!

A Metropark Ranger pulled up as I was bringing in my 3rd battery's flight, and his first words were "hate to ruin your afternoon".... [emoji15] He said I needed a permit to fly there, and I stated I wasn't told I needed a permit, just FAA certification and fly by the regulations. He went to his car to get some paperwork or something, so I brought the email I quoted above to him. He breezed over it and focused on part of my email that quoted the Parks regulations. I don't think he quite knew what he was reading, but he asked if I was FAA certified (which I am and produced my card). He proceeded to say ok, I'm all set, and keep on flying.

Seems like he wasn't quite sure what was needed, so with the info I volunteered, he was sufficiently satisfied that I was following the rules. He asked a few questions about the Mavic (how long I've had it, if it had a camera), talked about this being a newer site where drone flying is allowed, how Hinkley used to only allow RC planes, then wished me a good evening and went on his way.

Overall, fun afternoon with my son (who I let fly for a bit), but chilly after a couple hours!

Here's about my only half-decent capture on the day -

Will be studying camera controls and settings before my next flight! Can't wait! [emoji4]

Paul

@snooperfax , where are you at? i'm over on the olmsted falls/berea border. my house is within 5 miles of hopkins but the planes over me are well over 2,000' so i haven't even bothered to call when i do a quick flight in my driveway. lakewood park is a good location. you can launch from the very northeast point and get great shots of the city on a clear day. but you'd be out over the lake. so if you are nervous about that, it's probably not the best location to go to. i'm trying to find some places a littlfurthere furth south. like valley city or grafton area. wide open farm land down there. just need to find a park or somewhere public to take off from.

I'm in Fairview, hoping to actually fly this thing this spring. I'm using the airmap here:

U.S. Air Space Map | Know Before You Fly

As I click around the map for potential sites to fly, I see some in marked in heliport areas, and those in Hopkins' range are saying you have to notify the FAA and the airport! Do you have to call when flying within one of those heliport circles?

It's always good practice to notify the airports where possible. Within the 5 mile radius of Hopkins we are legally not able to fly our drones. Some drones already have geo-fencing enabled and will not even allow you to take off in some NFZ (no fly zones). Burke airport, just call the tower and let them know your flight plans.They are usually pretty good with giving you the go-ahead as long as you fly sensibly and follow 'community guidelines' (AMA). All this applies if you are flying recreationally but not under Part 107.

It's always good practice to notify the airports where possible.

True.

Within the 5 mile radius of Hopkins we are legally not able to fly our drones.

False. You're required to notify the tower and airport operator of your plan. Notice that is not asking permission. Notify them, stick to those parameters and don't give anyone any reason to invent ways to suggest you were operating unsafely and you're golden.

My experience with notifying tower and operators... Hopkins - nobody answers and I leave a message. Burke - someone answers, is marginally interested at best but, says thanks and tells me to have fun. Every other notification attempt (from hospital heliports to small public fields (think Mansfield) to tiny private strips have resulted in either no answer at all or someone that is completely dumbfounded as to why I'm bothering them.

I went ~six months with being very diligent about contacting people with very mixed results. Like I said, Burke was really the only fairly consistent one. I pretty much gave up and will contact big commercial airports only now. At least having a call attempt log on my phone gives me some standing to suggest I attempted to notify them. Not smart, but seeing as the current state of "the system" is dodgy, at best, screw it.

It's always good practice to notify the airports where possible. Within the 5 mile radius of Hopkins we are legally not able to fly our drones. Some drones already have geo-fencing enabled and will not even allow you to take off in some NFZ (no fly zones). Burke airport, just call the tower and let them know your flight plans.They are usually pretty good with giving you the go-ahead as long as you fly sensibly and follow 'community guidelines' (AMA). All this applies if you are flying recreationally but not under Part 107.

So the Metroparks designated a drone area that is within 5 miles of Hopkins that we can't actually fly in? (Main Street Diamond located in Mill Stream Run Reservation)

True.

False. You're required to notify the tower and airport operator of your plan. Notice that is not asking permission. Notify them, stick to those parameters and don't give anyone any reason to invent ways to suggest you were operating unsafely and you're golden.

My experience with notifying tower and operators... Hopkins - nobody answers and I leave a message. Burke - someone answers, is marginally interested at best but, says thanks and tells me to have fun. Every other notification attempt (from hospital heliports to small public fields (think Mansfield) to tiny private strips have resulted in either no answer at all or someone that is completely dumbfounded as to why I'm bothering them.

I went ~six months with being very diligent about contacting people with very mixed results. Like I said, Burke was really the only fairly consistent one. I pretty much gave up and will contact big commercial airports only now. At least having a call attempt log on my phone gives me some standing to suggest I attempted to notify them. Not smart, but seeing as the current state of "the system" is dodgy, at best, screw it.
My reply stated "legally". Fall outside those constraints and you're taking chances. Your actions also give the hobby/recreational users a bad wrap. More and more folks do this and the FAA will only get more restrictive. I have my Part 107 and not willing to take ANY chances. I know how hard (lengthy process) to get permission to fly within 5 miles of regulated class B (Hopkins, for example) airspace is, so rarely do I bother to request, so I don't fly within that space . unless a commercial shoot requires it and even then the wait is very long to get proper authority to the point it's almost not worth it. YMMV.

Good info about Burke, thank you.

Have you (or anyone here) tried contacting Cuyahoga County Airport (KCFG) yet? I live within 5 miles (in a 400 ft ceiling area, per airmap) so when it's warmer, I'd like to fly in my backyard (fly for fun, not part 107). Wondering what I should expect when calling them, if anyone knows. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

New guy here, but I was just at Main Street last Friday. 1st time up. There are lines around, bit the field is also wide open. The backstop and benches are no longer there. But the *grass* is knee high. For me, just learning, I liked it. Gave me time to learn the sticks, and how the MP flies. But I can see how someone who has air time would hate it! Not much around there. I'll go back soon and fly down the tracks.

Attachments

• DJI_0006.JPG
    DJI_0006.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: Faustus
Flying mostly around Canton. Looking for some other good places to fly without getting into trouble. I prefer flying with others that way if I am approached the person not flying can address the person while I concentrate on what I am doing. Had several people approach me on vacation and made it difficult to fly and keep my drone from crashing.

Hey Everyone,
I live in Columbus OH and we have a great Metro Park system here. Until recently the rule has been that no drone flying is allowed in the Metro Park system. As of May 1st they have revised the rules governing the use of recreational drones in Metro Parks. Link to PDF below, if I am allowed, not use to posting in forums. Either way, the relevant portion is below. "4.7 Recreational Activities All recreational activities undertaken by visitors shall be done so in appropriate and/or areas designated by the Executive Director or Park Manager and with due regard to the safety of themselves and others and shall not disrupt the good order of the park, natural environment, and enjoyment of other visitors. Other considerations may include weather conditions, impact on wildlife, park attendance, and other factors. Such recreational activities include, but are not limited to, practice golf, use of toys, athletic activities, use of recreational drones and other aerial toys, and jogging on trails." There is a fair bit of wiggle room in that so I then contacted the Metro Park Facebook Group and received the following reply......."Josh Good snag on the rules. Rather than outright forbid certain activities at all times, we rewrote the rules to apply a "common sense" standard for both the public and our rangers. So, to answer your question, if you have a "recreational drone" (i.e. meets the criteria established by the FAA and others) you can use it in a Metro Park as long as there is no safety issue nor are you disrupting wildlife. A couple of scenarios: no other visitors are in the picnic area and there are no osprey nests or a flock of wild turkeys in the picnic area--it would be ok to fly your recreational drone. Same picnic area on a busy Saturday afternoon with large groups of visitors picnicking, lots of kids running around, etc.--can't fly your drone then or there because of safety. Same picnic area with an active osprey nest--can't fly your drone there because that would be disruptive to the ospreys. I hope that answers the intent of the rule change--we think this will make our parks more accessible than an outright ban on recreational drones at all times. A side note--we have a drone field at Scioto Grove that is always available for drones. Hoover is not a Metro Park but is rather a City of Columbus facility. Please feel free to reach out again if this does not make sense. " I personally really like the attitude of the rule as it seems to give the rangers authority to stop you if you are being a jerk with your drone, and also gives you the pilot more options as to where to fly in the park. A good blend of protection for people and pilots. Now, with that said there is a separate section in regards to commercial drone pilots......"19.0 Aircraft Any aircraft, airship, hot-air balloon, ultra-light aircraft, hang glider, commercial drone, rocket, or other structure or machine designed to travel through the air may not ascend or descend in or pass through the Park except in an emergency or with the prior written permission of the Executive Director. "

I am posting this in the hopes it helps someone else in the future who does a search on where to fly in Columbus and Central Ohio. I'll try and post the link to the pdf version on the metro park's website in a post just below this as I am not sure if posting links is allowed in this forum.

Hello from Fairlawn Ohio (Near Akron and the CVNP) and I would really love to fly around Kendal too. Taken a ton of photo film and digital in the area, and a shame I can not fly my drone there. 3 city parks in Fairlawn (small but ok to fly in.)
Also have flown in the Bedford area. Some metro parks that way that I am thinking of flying in, but have not yet. Love to meet up. I belong to the Ruber City Camera Club (meets in Kenmore.) and currently 3 of us also have drones. Meets every other Thursday if anyone is interested. Contact [email protected] for times.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3