DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Near crash?

Jeeeeeeright

Reactions
About 3.10 out in the video, the bird starts acting strange (right after course correction and height increase). The gimbal starts leaning over and suddenly everything goes crazy. I panicked and hit pause and rth (it actually missed the spot by several meters), and control was sluggish when I tried some low level tests before landing. The app also crashed, but by then the drone was almost directly overhead...

That was crazy, I am glad I was not in your shoes. Must have been nerve racking. It could have been high winds, you were pretty high. Or it could have been power issues, I noticed you were pushing up and forward at the same time. The one time I did that, it put too much strain on my battery (as I later learned while reviewing the battery performance report on AirData). Or it could have been something else entirely. As for RTH missing the spot by several meters, you took off with just 9 sats locked and a GPS health of 4 (out of 5) bars. Generally, try to take off AFTER you have at least 12 sats locked or have a GPS health of 5 bars.

Also the gimbal wasn't straight with the horizon on the way back, and the bird returned to home at an angle...

Looks like wind burst as you came over the side of the mountain as rth kicks in you could see the plane first off motor at maximum speed warning and then as it turns you can see the propeller in the shot and from the angle of the camera shows it trying to keep the trajectory to return to home

About 3.10 out in the video, the bird starts acting strange (right after course correction and height increase). The gimbal starts leaning over and suddenly everything goes crazy. I panicked and hit pause and rth (it actually missed the spot by several meters), and control was sluggish when I tried some low level tests before landing. The app also crashed, but by then the drone was almost directly overhead...

Without seeing the data, looks like you caught a gust of wind that took the Drone off its axis point and thru off the compass cal.

Phantomrain.org
coal

Reactions: Jeeeeeeright
A quick summary of what happened leading up to the event.

At 165s, throttle was pushed to maximum and aircraft started increasing altitude.
Midway through this maneuver, horizontal speed reading starts to fluctuate (wind?) and continues until the main event. AC deviates to the left. Stick counter to the right.
At 181s, elevator stick was released and the AC started braking from 10m/s to 4.2m/s.
2.5s later elevator was pushed again to full forward. The AC stopped braking. AC pitches forward. Altitude begins to fall.
190s. Altitude keeps falling, AC pitched forward. Horizontal speed 20m/s. Motor error. AC rolls.

Aaand then everything goes out of whack, and following data makes no sense whatsoever.
We're gonna need the .dat file.

A quick summary of what happened leading up to the event.

At 165s, throttle was pushed to maximum and aircraft started increasing altitude.
Midway through this maneuver, horizontal speed reading starts to fluctuate (wind?) and continues until the main event. AC deviates to the left. Stick counter to the right.
At 181s, elevator stick was released and the AC started braking from 10m/s to 4.2m/s.
2.5s later elevator was pushed again to full forward. The AC stopped braking. AC pitches forward. Altitude begins to fall.
190s. Altitude keeps falling, AC pitched forward. Horizontal speed 20m/s. Motor error. AC rolls.

Aaand then everything goes out of whack, and following data makes no sense whatsoever.
We're gonna need the .dat file.
Where do I find the .dat?

Oh boy

184.839 : 14563 [L-FMU/LED]action changed. imu error:ns_abnormal(3)
185.437 : 14593 [L-FDI]NS(0) COMPASS(0): fault on , interfere
186.254 : 14634 [L-FDI]NS(0) FUSION(1): fault on , magn_heading_err_large
188.150 : 14729 [L-FDI][CTRL]: fault on , height_ctrl_fail
188.170 : 14730 [L-RC]craft ctrl failed!!!

Open a case with DJI support, attach this DAT. If they insist on 30% off, escalate and tell them to reveiw DAT from 183 seconds in.

It actually happened *again* when you were landing. And then the app crashed.

JFQLGm4.png

Yeah that's not good, IMU1 went completely bonkers measuring constant yaw when in fact the AC was turning. Also funny how there's NOTHING in the logs while the emergency was occuring, it only realized something's wrong when OP regained somewhat-control... Maybe the .DAT from the AC is going to have that as it seems it was not transmitted to the ground station for whatever reason... core recovery? *shudder*

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast