DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Near Disaster- Don't know why

BrucenYvette

Reactions
Very mysterious "anomaly" last Friday flying my Mavic Pro. All systems "green" for a successful launch, GPS-lock good, Home Point checked, clear VLOS. The "facts" of the flight as I give them are estimated recall. I'm 70 and my "recall" may not be precise. Everything going well including recording flying at roughly 150 feet altitude and roughly 600 feet down range when my phone lost connection- warning stated "aircraft disconnected". However, I had RC control. Using distance, I began to bring the drone back via distance countdown. I think I came back to within 450 feet when, suddenly, the drone autonomously began a rapid descent. I reacted with full forward on left stick, but drone continued rapid descent. I continued full forward on left stick, then I attempted to "break" autonomous flight by hitting "Sport mode" switch then switching back to normal mode. I do not know if that made any difference, but the drone suddenly stopped it's autonomous decent and began to gain altitude. I then hit RTH and bird came home without further incident and I landed.

After reviewing video, I saw that my descent stopped what appears to be inches from power lines!! Wow!

Now I would like one of y'all who knows how to look at my flight data record to let me know how close to accurate my 70 year old recall might be LOL! I'm REAL interested to find out what ACTUALLY happened...THANKS!!

BTW, I downloaded DatCon today...but have not a CLUE what to do with it LOL!

Attachments

• 19-04-08-07-31-25_FLY258.DAT
    2 MB · Views: 39
Reactions: WAXMAN and Simmo
Sounds like it went into auto return to home, which you may have set to land instead of return to home, check that in the settings. Switching to sport mode and back canceled the return to home. This is just my educated guess. As I can't get to the log viewer at the moment.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Now I would like one of y'all who knows how to look at my flight data record to let me know how close to accurate my 70 year old recall might be LOL! I'm REAL interested to find out what ACTUALLY happened.
If you can post the txt file from your phone or tablet, I'll have a look for you.

Reactions: BrucenYvette
Very mysterious "anomaly" last Friday flying my Mavic Pro. All systems "green" for a successful launch, GPS-lock good, Home Point checked, clear VLOS. The "facts" of the flight as I give them are estimated recall. I'm 70 and my "recall" may not be precise. Everything going well including recording flying at roughly 150 feet altitude and roughly 600 feet down range when my phone lost connection- warning stated "aircraft disconnected". However, I had RC control. Using distance, I began to bring the drone back via distance countdown. I think I came back to within 450 feet when, suddenly, the drone autonomously began a rapid descent. I reacted with full forward on left stick, but drone continued rapid descent. I continued full forward on left stick, then I attempted to "break" autonomous flight by hitting "Sport mode" switch then switching back to normal mode. I do not know if that made any difference, but the drone suddenly stopped it's autonomous decent and began to gain altitude. I then hit RTH and bird came home without further incident and I landed.

After reviewing video, I saw that my descent stopped what appears to be inches from power lines!! Wow!

Now I would like one of y'all who knows how to look at my flight data record to let me know how close to accurate my 70 year old recall might be LOL! I'm REAL interested to find out what ACTUALLY happened...THANKS!!

BTW, I downloaded DatCon today...but have not a CLUE what to do with it LOL!
[/QUOTE.
If you can post the txt file from your phone or tablet, I'll have a look for you.

Appreciate it Meta4! Thanks

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-04-08_[07-32-32].txt
    380.6 KB · Views: 24
Appreciate it Meta4!
Sorry .. you never regained signal, so the txt file only shows the flight up to that point but not what happened after that.
It was close and had lots of battery so that can be discounted

Sorry .. you never regained signal, so the txt file only shows the flight up to that point but not what happened after that.
It was close and had lots of battery so that can be discounted

Only dat file I have is:
If you can get the DAT file from the aircraft then that will show what happened:

Aircraft V3 DAT file: How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC

I accessed AC via Assistant but Assistant reports "no data files on AC". I don't understand why data being saved to my phone but not aboard AC...???

Attachments

• 19-04-08-07-31-25_FLY258.DAT
    2 MB · Views: 9
A question to sar104 and Meta4:

I realize that the data ends with the disconnect, so there's no way to diagnose the reasons why the aircraft behaved badly AFTER the disconnect. My question is...does any of the data up to the disconnect show anything unusual leading to and perhaps causing the disconnect? I remember the screen reading "aircraft disconnected"...but I was still getting readings on the Controller screen including Altitude and Distance. Thanks guys. BTW, just repeating my previous reply: Using appropriate DJI Assistant, I followed instructions in the link you sent for accessing V3 .DAT file: I connected my AC, I had a good connection, I clicked on Data Upload. The response by Assistant was "no data found". Wassup wid dat?

Reactions: GregD and sar104

I realize that the data ends with the disconnect, so there's no way to diagnose the reasons why the aircraft behaved badly AFTER the disconnect. My question is...does any of the data up to the disconnect show anything unusual leading to and perhaps causing the disconnect? I remember the screen reading "aircraft disconnected"...but I was still getting readings on the Controller screen including Altitude and Distance. Thanks guys. BTW, just repeating my previous reply: Using appropriate DJI Assistant, I followed instructions in the link you sent for accessing V3 .DAT file: I connected my AC, I had a good connection, I clicked on Data Upload. The response by Assistant was "no data found". Wassup wid dat?

What's notable is that there is no evidence of signal issues, but there is a video cache problem. Since you still had RC control it looks like the relatively common Android app disconnect issue. That doesn't help illuminate the subsequent flight control issues though.

Just curious...is Yvette the fish?

• Haha
Reactions: BrucenYvette
She's my angel-fish...much better lookin'...and a lot easier to catch...than that ugly old redfish LOL!!

What's notable is that there is no evidence of signal issues, but there is a video cache problem. Since you still had RC control it looks like the relatively common Android app disconnect issue. That doesn't help illuminate the subsequent flight control issues though.

Now you touched on an issue I've NEVER been able to work out. Been flying this bird since May 2018 and I've NEVER been able to get the settings to work in the Go App. Where it gives the 3 steps, I think it is, when I do those 3 steps the result is "caching failed- try again" or something like that. Is that somehow connected with the V 3 .DAT files not getting stored?

......Is that somehow connected with the V 3 .DAT files not getting stored?
Which version of DJI Assistant 2 are you using? Is it DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic? If so, that's the wrong one. Try DJI Assistant 2 instead.

Which version of DJI Assistant 2 are you using? Is it DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic? If so, that's the wrong one. Try DJI Assistant 2 instead.

I'm unaware of a "DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic". I'm using DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2.573.

Reactions: Simmo
I'm unaware of a "DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic". I'm using DJI Assistant 2 V1.1.2.573.
I tried V1.1.2 a few minutes ago and it works with my Mavic Pro. Don't know that will help much but you might want to try a newer version here

DJI Assistant 2

Had this happen to me before with my MP. Flew 100 ft, drone disconnected, kept flying away and eventually stopped. Went into RTH and stopped right above me 10 ft in the air. I actually restarted my controller and because the drone was close enough, it reconnected, I gained control and it landed. Needless to say I immediately packed it up and didnt fly for a week. Lol.

Had it happen a second time and it ditched into a snowbank because it was still low. Now I found that if I take off over anything metal it can mess with the compass. Have taken off at least 20 ft from any metal and not had an issue to date. I've been out quite far with it and never had another issue.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J