DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Near miss with helicopter at South Hollywood beach, Florida.

Should be simple enough to get video of him and report it to the FAA.
However, most people seem to grossly underestimate the altitude of low flying aircraft, especially if theres nothing in there to show scale.

He may have been lower than 500ft but may well have been higher than 150.

I saw this video already my opinion to the drone owner is he is not following the rules and also in its perspective flight areas.

Last edited:
To me the telling thing is numerous people (and ive been there myself) have said you have "low" helicopters buzzing the beach "all the time" there. The same as the rest of that coastline and further south.
So that's a known hazard.

Taking that into account, why would the operator (i) choose to fly there and (ii) choose to fly there high, possibly over 400ft and off the beach right in the line where they operate?

Ultimately if you aren't satisfied the flight can be made safely then the laws are to not fly.

Last time i was in Miami Beach flying from about the only park where its legal to fly i flew at dawn. No helicopter traffic and was great. I went back a day later in daytime and saw tourist helicopters every few minutes operating just off the beach. Its near impossible to accurately judge altitude and distance so i elected not to fly on safety grounds.

You assumed wrong about who I voted for, so I was right about you but you were wrong about me, (and the video too.)
I'm guessing you believe the moon landings were faked too?
No I was not wrong about you--- I highly recommend you get back on your meds

LMAO-Thank you now I see the stick man-**** I was getting ready to go to the eye doctor

And you really cannot see the pilot on the right (photo right, left seat from the pilot's view), left hand on the collective? I lightened it up a bit to make it as clear as possible?

Untitled 3 (1).jpg

Reactions: rfc
And you really cannot see the pilot on the right (photo right, left seat from the pilot's view), left hand on the collective? I lightened it up a bit to make it as clear as possible?

View attachment 44052
I can't really see the pilot either. Are you referring to the white looking head shaped thing in the left seat towards the bottom of the windshield? Is so that looks too small in scale to be the pilot. I'm not doubting whether there's one there due to the reflections and curved glass but I can't definitively make one out.

I can't really see the pilot either. Are you referring to the white looking head shaped thing in the left seat towards the bottom of the windshield? Is so that looks too small in scale to be the pilot. I'm not doubting whether there's one there due to the reflections and curved glass but I can't definitively make one out.

No - completely wrong scale.

Image.png

While we are at it, lets not leave out the guy in the back seat.....
helo.jpg

No - completely wrong scale.

View attachment 44056
I actually sent that picture to my desktop and modified it slightly and was able to see that which you just pointed out. But that's hardly a clear image. I definitely couldn't see it on my phone. And my eyesight is just fine… I can stand on the front porch and count the chickens in the back yard.

Last edited:
I actually sent that picture to my desktop and modified it slightly and was able to see that which you just pointed out. But that's hardly a clear image. I definitely couldn't see it on my phone. And my eyesight is just fine… I can stand on the front porch and count the chickens in the backyard.

That's fair enough. I have no problem with anyone not seeing it at first on a small screen, especially un-enhanced. But I cannot understand the other posters flatly declaring that the cockpit is obviously empty if they haven't even bothered to look closely enough. And the assertion that therefore the video was obviously fake was simply too absurd for me to resist responding.

Reactions: Clinton1
That's fair enough. I have no problem with anyone not seeing it at first on a small screen, especially un-enhanced. But I cannot understand the other posters flatly declaring that the cockpit is obviously empty if they haven't even bothered to look closely enough. And the assertion that therefore the video was obviously fake was simply too absurd for me to resist responding.
No I'm not one of those guys but I am one of those guys that will wait to see what the FAA determines. If for no other reason than if I'm ever involved in an incident I (hopefully) won't get hung before the trial.

Something is very strange : the right footboard of the helico is missing and seems to have been erase on every pictures of the footage. Photographs have been retouched, why ??

It might be covered with non skid which is non reflective unlike the other surfaces and may give that illusion
Something is very strange : the right footboard of the helico is missing and seems to have been erase on every pictures of the footage. Photographs have been retouched, why ??

No I'm not one of those guys but I am one of those guys that will wait to see what the FAA determines. If for no other reason than if I'm ever involved in an incident I (hopefully) won't get hung before the trial.

I realize that. But the FAA is not assessing whether the video is real, and the Mavic pilot already described the circumstances and admitted what happened.

Reactions: raymo
If you watch the entire video in the OP, it is determined that he was also in controlled airspace.
So, no question who is at fault.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centrespot