DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need a Sanity Check (Jello)

Reactions
So I haven't flown a quad since my old Flamewheel F450, so I know I've been out of the game for a bit.

Before I start raising a ruckus with DJI I want to make sure what I'm seeing is NOT normal.

So went to Santa Cruz, fired up the Mavic and tried to get some video. Ended up with this:

Ok.. So there's a bit of wind. We're talking less than 10 mph. Maybe it's gusty up higher than me. Sure.. Maybe I'm expecting too much out of this tiny little guy. (Although I had bought it to film kitesurfing, so I was a bit miffed)

Fired up The Google. Saw tips that I should calibrate the compass, the gimbal, the IMU, the Camera.

Did all of above. Hell I did the compass calibration in the middle of a field with nothing metal nearby, even left the controller a good 30 yards away.

Fired it up, got this:

Ok maaaaybe it's windy, found a wind shadow, in a darker area to force slower shutter speed and got this:

This is not normal right? Oh! and I did my research, checked that my gimbal was not stuck on the tabs. In the middle of reflashing firmware and setting factory defaults through the DJI assistant program.

TLDR:
Jello. Don't like Jello (especially that lime crap)
Calibrated EVERYTHING
Checked Gimbal was not stuck on anything.

No that is not normal, mine don't do that at all. I'm sure you will get some help on this real soon.

I can't offer much except to say mine doesn't do that, not normal, contact DJI. Their support people are in China so you can email right now (at night in North America) and you'll get a response.

Started a ticket with them :)

What sucks is I'm going on vacation 1-6. Was hoping to take my new friend along with me.

I feel your pain on the vacation side... My unit has been "ok" but hope it says that way before I leave. One of the big reasons I bought it...

If you have to send to DJI it's worth noting that they use UPS standard shipping - not the speedy UPS I'm used to for Apple products. I dropped mine off at UPS in Victoria, BC first thing Monday for a repair, and it's going to get to the service centre tomorrow. Had I realized how long it would take I would have paid for UPS's faster shipping. I've contacted DJI and will pay for that on the return.

Well.. Bad news (for me) . The firmware flash did not fix anything. Actually seemed to have borked something as my Mavic no longer wants to go forward, instead it just likes backing up. Yea....

Next day Fed Exing it over to DJI for repairs in the hope that somehow I get it back in time for my vaca on the 6th.

Darn. I was rooting for you with your firmware flash. I'm having the same issues and it looks like I'll be doing the same as far as sending it in for repairs.

Oh that's awesome. Official DJI repair center? I'm out in Southern California next to one, I hope it means I can get a similar turnaround. Also, was your issue resolved?

Reactions: tgden
Firmware didn't help. I'll be sending mine in to DJI also. Bummer.

Please, before you send your Mavic back....
Make sure your gimbal support is underneath the rear platform hook and not on top of it! That will cause the infamous jello effect and is super easy to fix!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

first time hearing of this solution. do you have a picture of what this should look like?

I think this mainly caused by crashes (I've crashed mine twice, indoors of course :( ), "rough landings" and even handling during transport like dropping the box.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

hmm. i think i can see what you're saying. there's a tiny "hook" on the back of my gimbal mount. is the support supposed to be "hooked" in that? Or is it supposed to be resting on it. When it's resting on it, it seems that the rubber bands are stretched out.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nordrand