DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need Advice-My M3 is drifting to the left during the hyperlapse

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
So in my attempts to perfect a sunrise hyperlapse, this morning at 6 AM I did a 500 shot hyperlapse of the sunrise. I placed the M3 at 200 feet, set the parameters (interval 4 seconds, 500 shots) and centered the image on what I anticipated would be the area of the sunrise. During the process the M3 slow rotate, in position, to the left, so that the sunrise , originally centered in the middle, wound up on the right side of the screen. The winds were very quiet.
How can I prevent this rotation to the left?
Can I continuously adjust the stick during the 500 shots?
I have calibrated everything.

Dale

If you dont get some good answers ,, just for kicks try weighing the Props an see if there all balanced the same.
I noticed one day putting the MS props on that I measured and they were not all equal so I was glad i switched them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

If you dont get some good answers ,, just for kicks try weighing the Props an see if there all balanced the same.
I noticed one day putting the MS props on that I measured and they were not all equal so I was glad i switched them.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
I really don't have a scale that accurate. anything else? can I use left stick to correct during the shoot to correct view?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I can think of a number of reasons for a object starting out in the middle ending up left or right after a flown distance ...

-The craft yaws uncommanded
-The craft drifts sideways (rolls uncommanded)
-The gimbal yaws uncommanded (think the M3 gimbal can be yawed...)
-The gimbal isn't perfectly aligned in the same direction as the craft, the camera looks slightly to the side of the craft's center line.

First out is to determine what's happening, does the craft yaw or roll uncommanded .., or is it the gimbal.

Share the mobile device .txt log from that flight ... that might reveal what's happening.

That shouldn't be a reason ... the M3 have a flight controller that will counter for that as long as the motors can deliver enough rpm's ... once a deviation is noted by the FC it will correct it by altering the 4 motor rpm's generating different amount of rotational torque & thrust.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
@Dale D perhaps you need to do a RC stick gimbal calibration, and see if this helps,sometimes with hall affect gimbals, a small amount of outside magnetic influence from a nearby source ,can cause this anomaly

@Dale D when you take a very long time of period of shots with the M3, this happens sometimes. I have experienced the same problem letting me work very hard in post-production.

The problem gets worse especially when it's windy.

Here is a video with a very bad drift that I was unable to fix.
This video was drifting a lot but I was able to stabilize a bit during post-production.

Reactions: SFC117
@Dale D when you take a very long time of period of shots with the M3, this happens sometimes. I have experienced the same problem letting me work very hard in post-production.

The problem gets worse especially when it's windy.

Here is a video with a very bad drift that I was unable to fix.
This video was drifting a lot but I was able to stabilize a bit during post-production.
Now that I am home from the tennis court, I've been able to work on this. This morning, I spent about an hour producing this sunrise hyperlapse with the new M3. There was a mild breeze off and on, but certainly not a wind. I put the bird at 200 feet, aimed at where I hoped the sun would rise, and shot 500 images at 4 second interval. After viewing the completed product, I noted the severe drifting to the left. at about 11 seconds on this film I corrected it with the left stick, but it lifted again. Please advise what in the heck I am doing wrong or how to correct the settings. The editing included warp stabilization, and of course, the entire foreground was black before processing its through LR Lightroom with masking tool. Here it is

Now that I am home from the tennis court, I've been able to work on this. This morning, I spent about an hour producing this sunrise hyperlapse with the new M3. There was a mild breeze off and on, but certainly not a wind. I put the bird at 200 feet, aimed at where I hoped the sun would rise, and shot 500 images at 4 second interval. After viewing the completed product, I noted the severe drifting to the left. at about 11 seconds on this film I corrected it with the left stick, but it drifted again. Please advise what in the heck I am doing wrong or how to correct the settings. The editing included warp stabilization, and of course, the entire foreground was black before processing its through LR Lightroom with masking tool. Here it is

Last edited:
@Dale D that was a really nice timelaps. Is sad you have that bad drifting. That is not normal, that is way too much drifting. What firmware are you using? 400, 600?

Aircraft Firmware 01.00.0600 "your firmware is up to date"
RC firmware 03.00.01.25. new fly safe data base available. (I choose not to tell them)
Flysasfe data base for apps. 01.00.01.25
App version. 1.5.10

Aircraft Firmware 01.00.0600 "your firmware is up to date"
RC firmware 03.00.01.25. new fly safe data base available. (I choose not to tell them)
Flysasfe data base for apps. 01.00.01.25
App version. 1.5.10
My personal opinion is that this was totally due to the wind. Even though it was not strong at ground level, it probably was stronger at 200 feet. With same exact technique the day before I had no adrift.

My question now , can I make small corrections during the shoot with the left stick?

My personal opinion is that this was totally due to the wind. Even though it was not strong at ground level, it probably was stronger at 200 feet. With same exact technique the day before I had no adrift.

My question now , can I make small corrections during the shoot with the left stick?
Can you upload the log to Airdata?

Sorry to say, I dumped everything in the trash! I'm going to try tomorrow morning and make small course corrections with the stick if needed. If it's windy, I'll abort. I 've done it every morning this week for 3 days and this was the only day that it drifted. According to Vittorio in Sicily you can make stick moves during a hyperlapse. Now I REALLY know where the darn sun is coming up. Right between the two parcels of land. What is great about the M3 is that I have more time to fiddle with the shoot.

Reactions: Dbez1 and zeusfl
Sorry to say, I dumped everything in the trash! I'm going to try tomorrow morning and make small course corrections with the stick if needed. If it's windy, I'll abort. I 've done it every morning this week for 3 days and this was the only day that it drifted. According to Vittorio in Sicily you can make stick moves during a hyperlapse. Now I REALLY know where the darn sun is coming up. Right between the two parcels of land. What is great about the M3 is that I have more time to fiddle with the shoot.
Try to keep the drone head or tail wind. No side wind to keep more stability. (no wind is the best but you can not control that)

Try to keep the drone head or tail wind. No side wind to keep more stability. (no wind is the best but you can not control that)
Nelvick- That's hard to do if I am trying to point the lens at the sunrise.

Nelvick- That's hard to do if I am trying to point the lens at the sunrise.
I understand. All will depend on the weather. Just play with the altitude.

I understand. All will depend on the weather. Just play with the altitude.
I'm going to put it up only 175 feet if I can see the ocean, not 220 feet, tomorrow. I'm going to check the winds on my app to and if the words are high, I'll wait until the next morning. To be continued.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent